Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Shed/workshop

Options
  • 04-01-2005 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭

I know there have been various other threads on building outbuildings on here, but none fully answer my problem, so apologies for any repetitiveness here.

I'm looking to build a workshop/shed at the end of the garden & ideally would be looking for the best value, combined with useability. I'm very handy when it comes to DIY & would'nt be phased by blocklaying, roofing or timberwork.

I want to go for the maximum 25sq metres - the garden is 220ft long by 50ft wide. My problem is:

Access to the garden isn't great & although I can squeeze a mini digger in, transport of blocks, cement etc is going to be difficult. A concrete pump is out of the question due to cost, so foundations are going to be key if I have to cement by hand. This kinda puts me off of a block building as I'd need extra deep foundations. houses in the area are very prone to subsidence, as the soil is limestone, so the lighter the better I guess ?

It needs to be insulated - Its going to double as an office too, so lots of electrical equipment.

Price is key - I just dont have €15k to spend on it (which is a quote I got for an insulated corrugated set up).

So any ideas would be welcome please ?

Many thanks

Andi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

No help to you, given the problems getting the concrete in, but a raft foundation should solve any subsidence issues. Wouldn't have to be that deep, so may offset some other costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Buy a barrow or two. I carried 700 blocks from the front of my house to the end of my back garden, 7 blocks to a barrow and you'll do it in a couple of eveinigs.
    The same with the concrete for the slab. You'll need two lads wheeling it in and one or two screeding. This way it will be done in no time. My lorry driver waited around and filled each barrow one at a time. He was there for no more than 30 mins. You can also get the mortar for the blocks ready mixed aswell. This stuff is amazing as it is delivered in big bags and lasts for over 72 hours before going off

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I built a 24' *14' shed also and it cost me 3k in total.

I didn't put down a foundation as such but a concrete slab -with the edges (for the walls) an extra dept. I built it with 6" solids for pure solidness and put a box profile roof on it.(NB-I would spend the extra cash on the insulated box profile roof as I had to re-insulate the single clad from inside afterwards due to condenstaion). I put a path down the garden and put a 4" pipe under it for the roof drainage down to a gulley and also brought the waters and elec to the shed under the path.

I only had a 32" path deside my house to get a digger in/soil out but I bought a mixer and got sand/gravel etc -and it's not that slow.Once you don't mind putting your head down and slaving away - I enjoy that outdoor work etc so it didn't bother me.

see attach pic --shed and new playhouse

Karl

pm me if you want any extra info and a range of pics by email.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Would you consider building it from timber? Very easy to work with and much quicker to put together than blocks...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had a 16'x8' workshop custom made from timber on a concrete base. Good sturdy uprights, a single pitch sloping roof with box-profile, insulated on both the walls and roof and lined with ply. Cost me €2k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

You could just pu in foundations, build it in WBP ply, covered in expanding metal and plastered. Insulate it as usual from inside

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Just a thought, but how about a container office?..there are a few different types out there now. Im taking this route. Gonna get a concrete floor down and sit a container on it. Then I'll look at tresselling it and prolly run some vines on the tressel. The cost for the unit new for 20'x8' with 2 windows and a door (positioned where you want) is approx €6,600. Im getting a used one for just over 5K. Comes wired and with lights. Have a look here www.containex.com. Perhaps you could get it craned in or something...Just a thought.
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not exactly stylish though is it? It'd make your back garden look like a building site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Concrete pumping is very expensive, but if a mini digger can fit down the side of your house then so will a mini dumper.
    Have your foundations dug and have plent of iron at the ready.
    When you order concrete the price includes about 1hr standing time for the driver. Have a few guys ready with shovels to spread the concrete when you bring it round.

I was quoted 12K to build a proper 14X12 outhouse by a a builder.
    Did the floor and foundations myself, put the window in myself and paid a brickie and a roofer to finish.

Ended up costing me about 4.5K including materials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Gyck wrote:
    Would you consider building it from timber? Very easy to work with and much quicker to put together than blocks...

Well that's the line I've been looking at - the logistics of carting the blocks etc is quite a nightmare, but to make up something from a timber frame & then insulate it is much more appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Another nice thing about wooden structures is that you can pretty easily design in things like workbenches and the like.
    I've also looked at kits, you can get some pretty decent structures for not a whole lot. Check out these. I know someone who got one, it only took a week to put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Gyck wrote:
    Another nice thing about wooden structures is that you can pretty easily design in things like workbenches and the like.
    I've also looked at kits, you can get some pretty decent structures for not a whole lot. Check out these. I know someone who got one, it only took a week to put up.

they look very good Gyck - thanks - it's probably going to be too expensive to buy a kit for the size that I want, I'm talking about just under 270 sqft (right on the limit before i require planning), but the brochures on their site have some useful schematics.

Advertisement