Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Bass

Options
  • 03-01-2005 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I play electric bass at the moment and I'm thinking at some stage in the future I'd like to either get myself a fretless bass or a double bass.

Anyone have an idea on the price of these things?

Also what think ye of the electric upright bass? How would the sound compare?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Kennington

Hey fuse,

Id say a proper double bass would start from a grand upwards.
    As for an electric upright bass you would be talkin even more, they are very expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

yeah i play bass guitar and i'd really love to try a proper upright but they cost an absolute fortune :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I play fretless electric and I'd suggest that might be the better place to start. Get an idea of what is involved in playing fretless, it is a lot harder than many bassists think who move over from fretted electric and requires a different physical and mental approach. Personally, I'd avoid a double bass, principally because of the size and inconvenience of the thing, there are a few custom electric fretless bass makers who are getting very, very close to the double bass sound (but can still do the fretless electric sound if you ever desire to use it).

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fuse

Yeh, the transporting of it is an issue I suppose. Would be very awkward to bring anywhere, probably wouldnt even be able to fit it in a car?!!
    Would be nice to get an old antique one to play around with at home even.

Suppose I'll look at a fretless or an electric upright. Playing an upright appeals to me more than a fretless really.

Advertisement