Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

With the CIF warning about cost inflation etc, I have to wonder is €250 m still enough to get this done ?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40867331.html

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Assuming the article is right, it's good to see that the City Council are working on this now too, given 5km of the existing N28 is in the city and just under 8km in the county. Speaking of City Council VS County Council, and extending on what I said in the Dunkettle thread. I hope they properly acknowledge the fact that Cork begins at the junction of the L6477 and N28, not at the N40. This sign should be reading CITY CENTRE and SOUTH RING at the top, not CORK and CORK RING, as is the case on the N8 and N20 when they pass the city (Cork) boundary. Or just SOUTH RING, like how the signs on the N40 say WESTBOUND or EASTBOUND. This is especially true since there is a "Welcome To Cork City" sign at the boundary way back the road.

The sign actually used to read CORK and SOUTH RING, but was changed in 2011. It was also changed on the N28 closer to Maryborough Hill, on the N27 at Bull McCabes, and on the Rochestown Road

Post edited by DylanQuestion on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It was the County Council that issued that tender notice

Error in the article referring to the city council.

County Council are the authority dealing with the project, the part in the city is dealt with via a Section 85 agreement.

For the part that is in the city, will it still be designed as if it were being done by the city council or the county council? It would be a shame to see the whole thing feel like a county road when it very much isn't, like I fear for Dunkettle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's irrelevant whether the city or county council is the lead authority. There will be no difference between the two. It will be designed and built to motorway standards and TII will 'own' the road once its built.

I'm confused as to your idea that the Dunkettle interchange will be a country road. Its on the national network so will also be 'owned' by TII.

• Advertisement

By that I meant acting as if the Dunkettle is part of the county when it is the official entrance to the city from the Dublin and east. Realistically these things don't matter, just something I find myself caring about 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Dunkettle is part of the County. That big silver ship on N8 inbound marks the city limits.

This, however, does not matter, as cross-jurisdiction road projects like M8 are built jointly, with one authority as the "lead".

That's the old boundary, the entirety of Dunkettle is now city council controlled as of 2019. However, you are right, it doesn't matter and the national motorways are a good example of that :) The M8 is the new north east boundary of the city, and I assume to not split the Dunkettle between city and county, the line juts out a bit to include Dunkettle and a bit of the eastern approaches. From 1840-1965, the North Ring Road was the boundary.

And just for extra context, since this is the M28 thread at the end of the day, here is the city/county boundary in relation to that. The boundary's most southern tip is the junction with L6477, where the City Council has put up a "Welcome To Cork City" sign, like the second image (Google Street View hasn't updated since 2019 fo the N28)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Minor detail, but are you sure on the city boundary? I thought that since 2019 boundary extension, Dunkettle is now city.

Not that it really matters for the reason that you stated!

As you can see from the well-explained post above yours I was wrong.

The extension of the boundary just to cover the sliproads of the new Dunkettle interchange looks odd, but I suppose it's to clearly answer the mundane question of whose job it will be to maintain the road once it's built (everyday maintenance of national routes is farmed out to local authorities)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

There are 'traffic counter' cables in 3 locations on the road from Shannonpark r'about to Ringaskiddy - I didn't notice them last week...I'm presuming they're new. Hopefully a sign that thigs are progressing quietly.

...and there was a team conducting Roadside Interviews at Ringaskiddy yesterday, just at the traffic lights/junction/entry to the port.

👍️👍️

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Was this for the M28 or the North Ring Road would you know?

Don't know Marno I'm afraid. The lights were green and we sailed through. There's nowhere to pull over safely at that junction so I dind't try.

Given that it was at the junction into the port, I presumed the interviews were related to the M28...but that's just my guess....

Excuse the very poor quality pic.....great to see this going on at 08:00 this morning. The pic was taken from the N28, looking south. They are obviously working away quietly with the prep - I have a feeling that there's more work going on, and I'll try to get more info and pics in the next few days.

Cork City Council are advertising road disruption on the N28 bridge on Maryborough Hill starting next week Thursday and Friday

L2470 Maryborough Hill: Stop-Go in operation on N28 underbridge 2000-0300hrs to facilitate bridge inspection. (Cumnor Construction)

CCTV cameras have been installed at the Fingerpost Roundabout, the Maryborough Hill slip road and the roundabout at the top of Maryborough Hill at its junction with Garryduff Road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

There’s also a camera at the junction of the L6477 and the N28.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I drove from Douglas Village to Crosshaven earlier via Maryborough Hill and can confirm all the above locations, as well as every junction on that journey and the last ones I noticed were on the road into Carrigaline from Shannonpark Roundabout.

They have also added those wires across the road for counting traffic or whatever at the end of the Maryborough Hill slip road onto the N28 and I think before the R610 junction heading to Ringaskiddy. It's funny how much misinformation there is spreading about this, I heard someone say they thought the Maryborough Hill slip road was being completely closed and you'd have to drive down to Douglas to get onto the N40

• Advertisement

^ Those lines ave also been added to Maryborough Hill by the golf course, the Douglas Relief Road R610 by Ulster Bank and on Moneygurney Road in between Foxwarren and Douglas Hall. They seem really extensive. People who use it may know the Fingerpost Roundabout when on R610 southbound and Maryborough Hill northbound that the left hand lane is for the first exit only. On the left hand lane coming from Douglas Court, there is a road marking saying "R'Town 610 only" but it seems people don't see it properly as every once in a while someone will use the left hand lane to get to Maryborough Hill. Well, the City Council have added in additional round markings saying to use the right hand lane for Maryborough Hill and Carrigaline Road. This is very welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Traffic counters also in place on Clarke's Hill, Coach Hill and in several places on the Rochestown Road.

Dronehawk's latest M28 update, posted on 1st June

This gets some mentions in the new County Development Plan. Most notably:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The site http://n28cork-ringaskiddy.com appears to be gone or done.

Does anyone know if the new motorway, which is welcome will have sound barriers erected going through the Rochestown section? Looking for more detailed plans on this area, but drawing a blank.

It looks like that domain has been allowed to expire.

However the content (including design, maps and EIS) is still available on the Cork RDO website here : https://www.corkrdo.ie/major-schemes/m28-cork-to-ringaskiddy-project/

What is the purpose of the 'fishbone' like markings along the route? Archaeology?

Yes. I think they’re preliminary digs to see if they hit anything worth digging a bigger hole for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭cantalach

Terrible tragedy on the existing N28 today near the Shannonpark Roundabout. Two people killed. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anamnacha.

Clearly, we don’t know yet what caused this and I’m not going to speculate. But we do know that when the M28 is open, fully-loaded car transporters leaving the port and heading up the country won’t need to pass through this roundabout at all.

Legal delays and funding delays ultimately cost lives. Let’s get the thing built!

• Advertisement

Tender out for ground investigations along the route.

TII seem to be pushing this and the M21 for the next 2 years or so. Those 2 along with the retendered N5 will be the focus from now til 2026.

Advertisement