Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing the Immersion tank

Options
  • 03-01-2005 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭

I need to replace my existing Immersion tank, partly because its old & starting to leak & partly because in a moment of madness I installed a huge corner bath & need gallons of hot water !

I've already upgraded the loft tank to 100 gallons.

Two questions I have...

1) is - how possible is it to do it myself as a fairly competant DIYer - ie - do all tanks have the same pipe connections ...AND,

2) I'm switching from Oil to gas later this year - does this affect the type of immersion that I need ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Andip wrote:
    I need to replace my existing Immersion tank, partly because its old & starting to leak & partly because in a moment of madness I installed a huge corner bath & need gallons of hot water !

I've already upgraded the loft tank to 100 gallons.

Two questions I have...

1) is - how possible is it to do it myself as a fairly competant DIYer - ie - do all tanks have the same pipe connections ...AND,

2) I'm switching from Oil to gas later this year - does this affect the type of immersion that I need ?

1)
    Next time you are in Woodie's have a quick peek at large DIY tome or Google it. See how easy you think it is. If you're up to it then go for it.
    Personally would get "a man who can" in, just to be on the safe side.

2) Not sure but don't believe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,332 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you sure it's leaking or is it condensation?

I would suggest getting both jobs done at the same time, that way you have some comeback if there are problems. Also consider a calorifier (really big tank) -v- immersion.

Putting in a larger (diameter probably, not height) tank probably means altering a lot of pipework in the hotpress and a plumber will probably do this a lot quicker than you.

There is also the matter of electrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Dublin Providers (01 2843494) made one for me. Just tell them where the pipe connections are and they will make a new one for you. Ask them for a 1/2 hour tank( only takes a half hour to fully heat up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

Im a plumber and i wouldnt trust my 4th year apprentice to replace one.
    There are too many things that can go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Victor wrote:
    Are you sure it's leaking or is it condensation?

I would suggest getting both jobs done at the same time, that way you have some comeback if there are problems. Also consider a calorifier (really big tank) -v- immersion.

Putting in a larger (diameter probably, not height) tank probably means altering a lot of pipework in the hotpress and a plumber will probably do this a lot quicker than you.

There is also the matter of electrics.

Yeah unfortunately its definitely a leak on one of the joints. I had a friend plumber look at it & he reckons the tank is yonks old anyway & i could do with a new one - combined with the need for extra hot water - its time for a change.

Judging by the comments - i think its gonna be a professional job.

thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement