Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House build:extra lecky socket...how much?

Options
  • 03-01-2005 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

I'm just trying to decide upon all the extras i need to get the builder to do during the buiding of my house which should commence shortly.

Just wondering if any of you have been down this road and had an extra electrical socket installed in the attic? What would be a reasonable charge for something like this?

I don't suppose some builders stick one up there as standard?

will be checking with builder obviously but always like to be clued in .. in advance ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Eurorunner wrote:
    I'm just trying to decide upon all the extras i need to get the builder to do during the buiding of my house which should commence shortly.

Just wondering if any of you have been down this road and had an extra electrical socket installed in the attic? What would be a reasonable charge for something like this?

I don't suppose some builders stick one up there as standard?

will be checking with builder obviously but always like to be clued in .. in advance ;)

I'm curreently getting a house built in Wexford and there is a light & socket installed in the attic as standard. If it's not std, I'd say about €50 tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Small point, but I recommend you get switched sockets when your house is being built. Much handier to switch off the socket at night rather than unplugging everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

your best asking the builders, the material cost next to nothing a few quid and if they do it before the place is plastered then its a simple enough thing but god knows what they will say price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Pataman wrote:
    Small point, but I recommend you get switched sockets when your house is being built. Much handier to switch off the socket at night rather than unplugging everything
    Agreed, and since a switched socket is almost the same as a non-switched, go for switched, especially in the kitchen.
    And go for twice as many sockets in the kitchen as specified and get them all doubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The actual socket probably costs €2 and the cable not much more and the time involved is modest. €50 should cover it. Having it in the specification from the start might even make it practically free.

However, fitting it afterwards would cost maybe €200-400 as you drag in the time involved in working out the exising system, plastering, painting ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

It cost me €40 per socket last january, bypass the builder and deal directly with the electrician on site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Good stuff - that puts me in the picture. I just want to get an idea of what all these extras are going to come to.
    Must agree on the switched sockets. I know for a fact these are going in as standard (surely no builder would use anything less these days?)...the house i'm living in right now doesnt have them and its murder pulling out and pushing in plugs..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

if its a large site the builder will have a set rate for extra sockets etc. You cannot use anyone except the site electrician to work on the electrics in the house so you are stuck to their rates. I just checked a similar costing and its is 130 euro for the atic light and 73 euro per twin socket and tv point. ignoring the builder would make it a cash job, the builder has a right to 1/19th of the value of the extra works so this might be difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

When my house was being built I approached the builder about extra bits and bobs, he told me to deal direct with the plumber and electrician for these.
    A few of my friends were told the same with their houses on different sites.

Advertisement