Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Book

Options
  • 03-01-2005 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

Ok so there's only four of them, still..

When Doug Naylor unwittingly loses his ball n chain and wrote Last Human on his own. Unconventional yet suberb stuff. His creative genious is allowed to shine unhindered..

Yeah so Last Human is my fav :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I read Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers when I was a kid but for the life of me I can't remember any of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Infinity welcomes careful drivers in the only one I read. Twas good stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

ive never seen the books in shops to be able to get them. are they available from your local easons?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Infinity Welcomes Carefull Drivers was brilliant. Better Than Life would have been very good if all the stuff about them being in the game was actually in it. But it was all in the first book. Still though, I thought the first bit of it (Endgame, I think it was called) was the best bit in any book. I'd still have to say Infinity as the best though.

[Never read Last Human. I hear it's a sequel to Better Than Life and not Backwards, am I correct? Interested, but never found it anywhere. I prefer Doug to Rob, so should be good...]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

thanks steve.

just seen on amazon you can get the omnibus (infinity welcomes careful drivers + better than life) and get the last human for just £13.28 thats 3 books. not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    Never read Last Human. I hear it's a sequel to Better Than Life and not Backwards, am I correct? Interested, but never found it anywhere. I prefer Doug to Rob, so should be good...
    Yeah, Last Human was actually written a couple of years before Backwards. In the forward (or whatever that book is where the author explains himself), he says Rob Grant expressed a wish to write his own book. Doug wished him the best. Then with his bundles and bundles of extra energy (*sniff sniff?), beat rob to the bunch.
    So yes they are both sequels to Better Than Life. Strangely, while they both use a couple scenes from the tv series, there is zero crossover.

People the novels are brilliant! I read quite a bit, these are excellently written, with a real quality plot (the one thing that's lacking from the series) I highly recommend them..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Yeah, Last Human was actually written a couple of years before Backwards. In the forward (or whatever that book is where the author explains himself), he says Rob Grant expressed a wish to write his own book. Doug wished him the best. Then with his bundles and bundles of extra energy (*sniff sniff?), beat rob to the bunch.
    So yes they are both sequels to Better Than Life. Strangely, while they both use a couple scenes from the tv series, there is zero crossover.
    I see. It's a bit weird. Would be hard to forget what happened in Backwards while reading Last Human. But I'll give it a go if I get the chance.
    ApeXaviour wrote:
    People the novels are brilliant! I read quite a bit, these are excellently written, with a real quality plot (the one thing that's lacking from the series) I highly recommend them..
    Have to agree with you there. While I fell in love with Red Dwarf on the TV, it's the books that I always think of and associate Red Dwarf with. The show's great, but the books are the real thing...

Advertisement