Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Clinton

Options
  • 02-01-2005 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd start a post to talk about the funk mastermind that is George Clinton.
    He's the guy behind such groups as Parliment and Funkadelic.
    Any other George Clinton Fans here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

Check.
    I only really got into his stuff by chance when I happened upon the P-Funk Earth Tour and decided to buy it purely based on the name of the second track, Dr Funkenstein's Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication Medley, turned out to be quite a good decision, even if it wasn't Parliament's best album.

Actually, here's a question, given the number of albums George Clinton has played on, produced and so forth, which do people think are the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

He produced Freaky Styley by Red Hot Chili Peppers, which is their second best album in My opinion.
    I can't pick one he's perofremd on. He's made so many
    And yeah, he does have cool names for songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I've a soft spot for "One nation", I think its probably my favourite Clinton track, either the original or Ice Cubes take on it in Bop Gun.
    He's a massively prolific artist though, picking anyone incarnation/era is hard. I like his stuff from Maggot brain and Free your mind and your ass will follow through to all the hip hop tracks he's been on/inspired/been sampled in.
    For sheer cheesy funk value you cant beat "People Power in the Disco hour" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Love his stuff. Was at the Parliament gig in the Red Box a couple of years ago and will never forget it. Almost 5 hours of non stop funk and i could barely hear anything for 2 days afterwards with the ringing in my ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭fuse

Yeh I'm a big fan of the P-Funk crew.
    I prefer the older stuff from Funkadelic, not so much the spacey cosmic funk from Parliament.
    Favourite stuff from Funkadelic is Red Hot Mama, Standing On The Verge, Cholly, Come In Out Of The Rain.

Never knew Parliament played here?!? Must have been a good few years ago was it!

• Advertisement

fuse wrote:
    Yeh I'm a big fan of the P-Funk crew.
    I prefer the older stuff from Funkadelic, not so much the spacey cosmic funk from Parliament.
    Favourite stuff from Funkadelic is Red Hot Mama, Standing On The Verge, Cholly, Come In Out Of The Rain.

Never knew Parliament played here?!? Must have been a good few years ago was it!
    Nope was only 2-3 years ago. Same time as the Paradigm song was released with Prince and George Clinton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

maggot brain is one of my favourite albums ever ,anyone agree ?

I hope he plays here again some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

George Clinton is great, love Funkadelic and Parliament, saw him in the Red Box couple of years back, amazing gig....oh yeah, and don't forget owl Bootsy Collins "uh baby, let me be yo' bridge over troubled waters uh"

Have pretty much all the funkadelic albums but my fav is Hardcore Jollies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I love bootsy collins. He's nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I love Freaky Styley (the album he produced for RHCP). Alot of Funk traditionalist at the time didnt think 4 white guy's playing funk music was acceptable but Clinton was a inovator he saw that they had a passion for the music like he did. Anthony Kiedis talks about him favouribly in his book. I never herd any of his own stuff though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can anyone recommend a top complitation? I think the spacey stuff would be more to my tastes...

Mike.

Parliment-get funked up is really cheap. Desn't have much spacey stuff though.
    Funkadelic- Motor City Madness has more spacey stuff.

Get both, since no songs overlap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just browsing amazon and spotted a few Parliment Cds in the 3.99 list so have ordered Get Funked Up (comp) and P-Funk Earth Tour (live) both get exellent allmusic reviews so they'll do as an intro! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 OttoVonBis

Blisterman wrote:
    Thought I'd start a post to talk about the funk mastermind that is George Clinton.
    He's the guy behind such groups as Parliment and Funkadelic.
    Any other George Clinton Fans here?

The Mothership is coming to Dublin to splank all the funkless materialistic Sir Noses D'Void of Funk that are all too prevalent in our new opulent Irish society. So kick back, relax while they do it in your earhole. :D

Many people say James Brown is the most sampled musician in hip-hop. This may be true to an extent but many are the same beats and loops being used again and again. Whereas George Clinton has had more of his music sampled than any otherartist. In other words his influence on hip-hop and modern music in general is huge. Respect.

P.S. Funkadelic's Maggot Brain and Free Your Mind.... and Parliament's Mothership Connection and Clones of Dr Funkenstein are cast-iron funk classics. But there are gems to be found on nearly every p-funk album between 1970 and 1982. For the uninitiated just go out and start digging!

See y'all at Vicar St

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

yeah "atomic dog" alone has been sampled sooo many times its unreal... on Redman's album "dare iz a darkside" there's like four tunes that sample different bits of it!

funk = the motherlode for sampling...

lynn collins "think about it" - the break in that, and the one in the winstons "amen brother" and the "apache" break from the incerdible bongo band are the corner stones of both hip hop and drum and bass music though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭PunyHuman

fuse wrote:

It was in the Red Box.

"Ain't no party like the P-funk party 'cause the P-funk party don't stop!

Ain't no party like the P-funk party 'cause the P-funk party don't stop!

Goodnight everybody!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭fuse

Deadly got my ticket for George Clinton & the P-Funk allstars next month, Can't wait!

Excellent Concert. Ended a bit abruptly though. Still 3 hours of pure funk. Pretty sweet.

Amazing gig. The crowd were really up for it and George performed a whole lot more than he did in the Red Box. Think there was a 12 o'clock curfew in Vicar St so it ended then. The band could of played for a few more hours i think. Still, im all funked out today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 dfunk

unbelievable gig. 3 hours of uncut pfunk. you could see the band (and crowd) were really up for it. was at the red box gig a few years back and this topped it easily.

For those of you blown away by the gig you have to check out the live parliament dvd from 1976. 2 hours+ of funky madness, the mothership landing and sly and the family stone & bootsy join him onsatge at the end - funktastic!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005UM2L/qid=1122215518/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_11_2/026-7349109-8338828

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 funkyone

dfunk wrote:
    unbelievable gig. 3 hours of uncut pfunk. you could see the band (and crowd) were really up for it. was at the red box gig a few years back and this topped it easily.

For those of you blown away by the gig you have to check out the live parliament dvd from 1976. 2 hours+ of funky madness, the mothership landing and sly and the family stone & bootsy join him onsatge at the end - funktastic!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005UM2L/qid=1122215518/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_11_2/026-7349109-8338828
    A great gig.
    One of the best.
    3 hours of uncut funk.
    I saw a few people with camcorders it the balconies recording this .I hope it gets out to the rest of us who wants there funk uncut.

Also just released is a new dvd of George live in Montreax 2004.It has a very similar gig to the dublin show and its in dts audio aswell.It can be found on play.com for 12.99 including p+p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Fudd

I can't believe I missed that! I didnt know it was on so soon. would have been amazing to see them live. anyone know of any other upcoming funk gigs i dont want to miss but will if i dont hear about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 funkychicken666

Have any of you guys seen the new issue of Blender Magazine (September 2005 issue) with the interview/article on George Clinton? I thought it was fabulous! How about you guys? Thoughts?

Is that article available on line anywhere? If not is Blender available in shops or is it an american magazine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I really wanted to go but didn't - me stupid eejit me!!!!! :mad:

Any sign of this show on any bootlegs. :)
    I have 100`s of George Clinton/Bootsy shows on dvd/cdrs to trade with. :rolleyes: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 WesleyWes

Hello,

Yes Clinton is on tha one...

Peace!
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Libery411

• Advertisement

WesleyWes wrote:
    Hello,

Yes Clinton is on tha one...

Peace!
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Libery411