Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid Wood Floors Question

Options
  • 01-01-2005 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I have pre-finished solid beech floors 2.25 width, 19mm depth. I recently got a company to install them. They used the floating floor method over a rubber/foil type backing. ( I have not paid them yet as they have to do another room) I have since heard solid wood floors shoud not be floated. I have also discoverd in the hall the floor is raised slightly(like a wave) in certain areas. Can anyone offer some advice on what is the correct method to lay the floors and what should I do? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

there should be no problems with the solid board laid as a floating floor....although the fitting company should have mentioned this....there are a number of reasons for this method and im not sure of your situation...e.g. if you live in an apartment it would be part of the building regulations...therefore the company is looking after your interests as you may have to replace it when the neighbours start complaining about impact noise.

floor leveller or packers will sort out the waves in the hall...but one thing to watch out for is the space under your door as most will only allow for 15 - 19mm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Paula, solid wood floors can be floated but it can take a long time to glue them together which is why it is rairly done. Most floated solid floors are the Junckers clip system. Other than that, the preferred method is to secret nail them to battens that are glued to the floor.

Do a search in the forum for solid wood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 paularose

Thanks, I'm still a little confused, I had a look at the solid wood forum like you suggested and there seems to be conflicting opinions on glueing solid wood floors. Some say its possible, others seem very convinced against glueing solid wood. help?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

paularose wrote:
    Thanks, I'm still a little confused, I had a look at the solid wood forum like you suggested and there seems to be conflicting opinions on glueing solid wood floors. Some say its possible, others seem very convinced against glueing solid wood. help?!
    Paula, it's not that either way is right or wrong, but some people and carpenters prefer one method to another. I would have rathered to float my solid wood floor for height reasons, but it was just going to cause too much grief. If you have to glue a solid wood floor, the wood planks should be able to hold together in the tongue and groove without movement up or down with no glue applied. If they can't and you decide to glue them, then as a couple of boards have been glued and placed, and you are trying to fit in the next row, the can move about and slip out if they are not clamped or unless you are using really fast drying glue.
    The Junckers clip system eliminates this as the boards are held together by clips underneath.
    Nailing them to battens requires the battens to be first secured to the ground in the opposite direction as the floor will be laid by either glue or nails and then the boards are secret nailed into the battens.

Also, by nailing them it allows the wood to breath & move easier afterwards with less risk of warping or cupping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 paularose

Thanks again, I will mention this the the fitters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement