Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where does money go from stables and scholars

Options
  • 01-01-2005 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

where exactly does all the money from stables and scholars go and who owns the pubs is it the student union or the university. and does the the sports bar belong to the sports arena? bloody studying makes me think about these things

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

I think the stables and the scholars are owned by the same person. Dont think he has anything to do with the university. although tbh i'm not sure about any of it the above information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Both stables and scholars are privately owned. Not sure if its the same fella that owns both however. I suppose given that they are both technically clubs (in a legal sense) and most if not all students are members you could probably ask the SU about the ownership structure of them.

AFAIK the guy who owns them makes the money out of them, although I'm not sure if he is paying rent for the premises or whatever given it is on university property. I think the reason the college doesn't own them is that when the stables was built the college didn't have the money to build it so the guy who now owns it went and put up the money (probably one of the best decisions he ever made).

Haven't a clue about who owns the sports bar tbh.

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

The stables and the scholars both lease from the students union, they have big hefty leases afaik. They are both privately owned by different people, I know this for a fact as I used to work in the scholars.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Cork Exile

The Stables and the University Arena are both ran by Castleoaks Catering (They also run the Paddocks, the cafe in the library and the restaurant in Plassey House).
    The Scholars was leased by Michael Dolan of Dolans Wharehouse. It's 2 and half years since I left UL so not too sure if the lease has changed hands or what.

If I remember correctly the rent is split between the Plassey group, the University and the Students Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

the profits from alcohol go to the ULSU and the college. the buildings get a profit also. dolans have a percentage profit from the scholars. the food profits go to dolan and the guy Fagan who has the stables and the sports bar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement