Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New year's eve in Limerick

Options
  • 01-01-2005 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hello,

I was just wondering what were everybody doing this New year's eve in Limerick? This was my first New year's eve here and went to the Trinity Rooms (supposely the best night club in town) and......was empty!!

In a normal Thursday night there I would see three times the number of people I saw for New year's eve....what a disappointment! Especially because the ticket was only 20 euro (which I consider VERY cheap, also because the cloakroom was free and this ticket included free entrance for the following night)....

So ladies and gentlemen, where were you all hiding? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I dont think either christmas or new years eve were very kind to the publicans this year. the smoking ban, the high prices in bars, and the expectation of trouble kept people away from the city centre.

I went to a party with some family and friends, we could smoke as much as we liked without having to go out into the rain. it didnt cost an arm and a leg for one drink, and we were the ones who decided who got in and who didnt. making it all a better experience.

you also have to consider price gowging by both bars and taxi companies during the christmas period. not a good incentive for people who have already spent a horrendous ammount of money over the christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I agree, Billy. Its staggering that pubs still charge entry on New Years Eve too.... Surely not charging would get more people in the bar and more drinks purchased?

Stayed in with family and friends last night too. New Years Eve on the town is overrated. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

taxi drivers have to make their few extra quid at xmas too

I was at a house party. Good points.. not as expensive and more relaxed. Bad point.. fuking smokers contaminating my lungs again!

yeah but the taxi drivers have been price gowging since 5 yh frvrmnrt snf eill vonyinur yo fo do unyil yhr yrnyh og jsnusty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

I just got back from the Icon (Sunday night) and had a brilliant night, it still amazed me that a normal night out counts the triple of the people of new year's eve (price tonight was 12 quids anyway).
    Or probably is just the venue, however the Icon moves up to my #1 club in Limerick and the Trinity Rooms is demoted to #2....the others are far behind.

Maybe you guys can advise a nice night club to go to outside town? I don't drink a lot, I mainly go out to meet people and can drive without problem. Any nice night club within 20-30 km distance from Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

yeah but the taxi drivers have been price gowging since 5 yh frvrmnrt snf eill vonyinur yo fo do unyil yhr yrnyh og jsnusty.

words of wisdom!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

After spending the last 7 new years in Limerick at various late night pubs and niteclubs I decided that the best place to go was somewheer else :D so I went to Barcelona and had an amazing time. I did end up buying a round of Guinness at 7 euro a pint :( but most of the spanish bars I was in didn't put their prices up for the night

moshpit77 wrote:
    words of wisdom!

will fix that

the taxi drivers of limerick have been price gowging since fifth of december and will continue to do so untill 10th of january

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Icon the best club in Limerick, hardly! Music is terrible, bouncers are complete wánkers. I went to costellos on new years, had a great night, pints were under €4, music was brilliant, and it was only a tenner in.

I have to agree, the bouncers at smyths and Icon are tossers on a normal saturday night, i can only imagine what they would have been like on new years eve.

have never been in the trinity rooms, the bouncers there are tossers too. have gone there cold sober and never got in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Went to Kilkee for New Years. Great day and night. Went to Carrigaholt in the afternoon for a meal and a few pints then into Kilkee for the night. Stayed in Scotts for the night. Very busy but the only decent pub there.

Was in Costelloes on Stephens night. Much better than the likes of Icon/Trinity Rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I'm ****ing barred from costellos for being a "biker" :rolleyes: good game Flan, i've only been drinking in there for 10 years
    was in termights in the globe for a pint on new years, it was utter ****e but thats only to be expected in termights, stayed for a pint then we headed back to a mates flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

You don't like a night club just because the bouncers are tossers? hey, I don't usually spend my night with them... why yo care so much? :D

Seriously, never had problem to get into any of the Limerick's clubs.... as for the DJ in the Icon I have to agree that switches from one type of music to another in such a way that doesn't make any sense sometimes.

Where is Costelloes? What type of club is it?

Thanks.

The bouncers are the ones who decide who gets in and who doesn't

I have gotten into smyths loads of times but there is always one person in the group that I go with would be turned away resulting in the rest of us having to leave.

lCosteloes is on baker place in front of tates clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Where is Costelloes? What type of club is it?

its dark, mostly plays alternative/rock music, has very friendly staff and is pretty much the opposite of the Icon in every possible way. Its usually a very sound crowd who go in there, and its not the kind of place you could ever really be undressed for....

in my opinion the best club in Limerick, but I can see how it would not be everybody's cup of tea.....

The High Stool is of course the best bar / late-night bar in Limerick...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I have gotten into smyths loads of times but there is always one person in the group that I go with would be turned away resulting in the rest of us having to leave.

That seems to be the general rule. Regardless of the size of the group or sobriety, the last person get's stopped. Obviously it's when it's with a bunch of guys, but still, it's ****ing annoying. Not that the Icon has ever seen my money in a long time. But smyths is a nice enough bar.

Also what fragile said is bang on, the crowd in costelloes are by far the friendliest around, and the music is above any other club that limerick has to offer.

Advertisement