Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to be twinned with Beijing?

Options
  • 04-04-2001 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Seems the powers that be are considering this. How nice for our fair city to be twinned with the capital of one of the more brutal and despotic regimes on Earth.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Its a sensible move in light of the student protests in Dublin recently, why not learn lessons from Beijing. </Sarcasm>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Castor Troy:
    Seems the powers that be are considering this. How nice for our fair city to be twinned with the capital of one of the more brutal and despotic regimes on Earth.</font>

Still, at least it's not the Vatican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

What difference does it make? Its only ever going to asked in quizes, its otherwise useless isnt it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Still, at least it's not the Vatican.</font>
    So very true, each night I lie awake in dread that the dreaded Swiss Guard with their cutting edge 16th Century pikes and their uniforms cunningly tailored to blend in as giant Xmas ornaments will invade. </Irony>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I dunno one of those pikes could have yer eye out in seconds.

Joking aside...I agree with CastorTroy twinning with Beijing doesn't send the right message out to the world.

Although DnC can be like Chinatown of a evening.

www.doesnotcompute.ie
    www.gamire.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Are we not twinned with about 2 other places already? How many twinns can on city Have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Dublin's already twinned with Barcelona, San Jose and uh.... the other one, anybody?

anyway, twinning's a total con - it means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

As long as we get to run over students in tanks in Ireland, it gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does that not make them triplets or quadruplets or whatever?

Changing call sign to SIERRA PAPA OSCAR OSCAR FOXTROT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I wish someone could tell me but I don't know what this twinning is about at all, at all. What function does twinning actually perform, closer ties between cities? What purpose does the closening of relations between two or four of five kajillion city councils do for anyone?

As far as I can see, it's a swizz by the county councils to get a free holiday out of the tax payer!

"I collect spores, moulds and fungus."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

did anyone see them in the paper marching?
    dam, they all look alike
    and them with their slapper boots too
    hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What difference does it make? Its only ever going to asked in quizes, its otherwise useless isnt it?</font>
    It would send a clear message to china that we think it's human rights abuses aren't quite as important as potential trade between the cities. And so what you may say. nothing to do with us if a few looney chinese students are trampled on.
    Well a TCD computer science postgrad (Zhao Ming) is currently being held in China. He's been tortured, had his passport taken and is not being allowed resume his studies in Dublin. And our government is doing jack **** about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Lots of areas in Dublin are twinned already .. Booterstown with some rural village place in France for example.

Actual change : Nil, other than a passing remark if you are a tourist from the place in question and traveling through.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DadaKopf:
    Dublin's already twinned with Barcelona, San Jose and uh.... the other one, anybody?

anyway, twinning's a total con - it means nothing.
    </font>

The other one's Liverpool.

It's unbelievable when you consider that Ireland's populace is possibly one of the most generous when it comes to charitable donations etc. We've all seen the pictures from orphanages and I'm sure most of us have felt anger at the authorities over there and the worst sympathy for the occupants of said places - cousins of mine have adopted one of those unfortunate kids (and she's doing really well).

I just can't fathom why they'd do something like this!

Clever move guys and girls! mad.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement