Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers

Options
  • 15-03-2001 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Are they a subspecies of human? I only noticed this recently but whenever do an onsite job I find them to be incredibly awkward to deal with.
    I presumed that when I left school many years ago and joined the adult population my perceptions of teachers would change.

Then there's the whole area of wanting as much money if not more than people who actually work the whole year round.

Oh, 1000 posts. Do I get a prize?

P.s except for Mr Kelly - genius teacher.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 15-03-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

They do seem to be a little apart from the real world don't they? I've known some great teachers/lecturers who are really nice people but they always seem a bit abnormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Yes yes.They have a tough job,but I can't help thinking that they are asking for a bit much.Maybe if they lowered their expectations they'd have got a deal done by now....Plus they sure do have sweet holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

They promised it wouldn't interfere with exams.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

My experience through my life of teachers, be it inside of school or out, has been wholly positive.

You can't just dismiss all of them as "weird" (??) because your school might have been bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Yes mine was bad.We had a french teacher who was,all joking aside,not mentally fit to teach.She was prone to hysterics.We also had a teacher who has been twice punished for violence against students, the second time after he threw a small stool at the face of a guy,who then needed stitches.all he got was time off....ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Mr Kelly, history by any chance ?
    Anyway, my French teacher from 1st to 4th year was a good man, but simply unable to cope with the class, therefore nothing was learnt.

Maths teacher now thinks that the diameter of a circle is the same as it's circumference and my English teacher makes grunting sounds ever now and again frown.gif

Nil Desperandum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Lucy_la_morte

If you've ever been to an all-girls-catholic school in the northside of Dublin, then you wouldn't have much favour for teachers.

My teachers used to bully me, and call me stupid (probably because I am stupid, but that's another story).

Fortunately, I dropped out of school now.

J'ai dormi sous l'eau.

Lucy la morte.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

30% LOL what r like!

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

my teachers used to be always on my back too frown.gif

the fact that I never paid attention in class or made more than a half-arsed attempt at home work had nothing to do with it biggrin.gif they were ba$tards biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

this can depend on your age, most young people dislike any sort of authority, and tend to give no respect to teachers, who are really just there to help, ok, you get the odd sadist, but most are very normal people. As you get older you realise this type of thing, and can start to get along/manipulate the teachers how you want.

Some teachers after many years though, especially those in authority, generally the ones who discipline children, start to treat anyone as if they were a pupil meaning they can be very hard to deal with in a school situation when talking with another adult.

I do not however agree with the strike on right now, and even the teachers community is split by this, some aren't really bothered, and are really annoyed they can't teach the pupils, especially the 6th years, (I used to have one brilliant teacher, who'd be pulling his hair out right now at this), but they all have to strike, it's not a case where some of them can disagree as the ASTi holds their registration, much like UEFA controls all soccer players, and if they go against the ASTI, they can lose their registration and are not allowed to work, essentially and up jobless.

All in all, teachers can be good to you, as long as you don't act the sh!te

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

The teachers are so out of touch with reality that it is hard to fathom how they are the ones responsible for the education of the countries youth.

Like the Garda, they are putting a gun to the publics head. An over inflated opinion of their importance stemming from their "indespensible" position has given them the neck to ask for rediculas figures in realtion to their pay demand.

At least others unions start with a high figure to if only to negioate around. Their stedfast belief that they are entitled to this banditry is ludacris. They have lost all sympathy and rightfully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

they are putting a gun to the publics head

They accepted the gov's word last year that they would be dealt with, what happened? They took it where it dont shine. So they're going to stick to their guns this time.

An over inflated opinion of their importance stemming from their "indespensible" position

Well damnit, if they're so unnecessary wtf are you complaining about? Make up your mind!

I think this is one thread where "unfair generalisation" does apply.

Al.

[This message has been edited by Trojan (edited 28-03-2001).]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Some teachers suck anus - others make you want to teach yourself!!! It's not an easy job (I've had a teaching job to 13 - 16year olds and it was not fun).

Teachers deserve more respect, more pay, but they must be given examinations / performance reviews themselves - there aren't many jobs where you don't have performance reviews.

There are always going to be bad teachers and good teachers. Some will bully you and some will encourage. Some you'll get on with and learn from and some you'll hate and learn nothing from - this is more human nature than anything else!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

My comments that the "teachers are putting a gun to the publics head" is valid. Do DART drivers working 60 hours a week for £280 not do a job which is equally responsible????

They are responsible for peoples lives when they are at work. GET A JOB in the REAL WORLD!!! Then justify a 30% wage increase for a job that has 4 months holidays! And anything outside the class room is extra and well paid (inc. any courses they take paid for both the cost and money for doing it, and long term paid leave).

The basic wage in this country is still a joke, considering that inflation and property is creating a serf culture. LOOK AROUND, the kids they are educating have really little to look forward to, except of course they can look at an afluent class of "teachers".

p.s. what ever happened to teaching being a vocation? same as the army and gards probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

rofl, you talk about the "real world" (despite clearly never having been there) and then bemoan the fact that teaching isn't a "vocation" any more. Bloody hell, some mothers do 'ave 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

All that 'vocation' $hite is out the window. Nursing used to be seen as a vocation - why should it? It was a craply paid job with little to no redeeming features apart from caring for people if that's your gig.

It took the nurse's strike to make people realise that they deserve to be paid a proper wage like anyone else.

I support the teachers pay claim, but I don't support the strike action or the way the ASTI is going about the whole thing at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭UNIFLU

Damn teachers,

We all give them a hard time for being tight and penny pinchers but that is their own fault, they get paid over the summer and normally top that up with language schools and the likes. Seeing as a school cannot fire a teacher it allows many substandard teachers to remain in the education system thus giving others a bad name. That idea of net being able to sack a teacher really should be changed, maybe performance reviews or the likes which would justify pay increases.

One thing that really pi$$ed me off was the way they decided not to have a vote as it would mean there would be no disruption to hte orals/aurals. This kins of ball breaking attitude is reduculous, nobody should be allowed to use students futures as a bargaining chip. Once i heard that i was fuming, why not fire them all, you could replace them in a matter of days more than likely with grads etc and concerned parents. Something really has to change and the sooner the better i think.

On the other hand i do beleive they deserve better pay for what they do as i can remember a few teachers that got loads of hassle when i was in school, some ended up having nervous breakdowns, was funny at the time but looking back you feel like a to$$er.

Once they get some resolution they are happy with will they actually stop bickering and get on with their job or will this just keep happening every few years??

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

I never got along with Teachers except the ones i did get along with biggrin.gif but the ones i didnt caused me to drop school and go work for NETSHOP YEEEHAAAA!!! tongue.gif

(P.S.Oh and erm I have a Shexsheh Bodeh!! biggrin.gif)

Quothe the Raven, "JennyRooba!" ;D

[This message has been edited by SpiraL (edited 04-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Teachers arent paid that fking bad, its just with inflation and houde prices on the rocket, they dont seem as good but then again, no-one's pay does. My maths teacher hes around 35-39 is on over 33K a year which is good anyway you put it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement