Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REVOLT! as Sligo is called "a savage little town" by the Indo

Options
  • 01-04-2001 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

Sligo people appear to be up in arms over a "humorous" article that appeared in the Sunday Independent last week which described Sligo as a "savage little town". As a result, residents registered their disgust by spitting spontaneously and engaging in some vigorous fist-shaking - ah no, they gave out and some newsagents refused to sell the paper.

The mayor of Sligo town, Sean McManus said that the slur was "a derogatory, racially-motivated attack" on his town.

One question: when were the people of Sligo ever declared as a race?

Beats me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Heh heh. Believe me, Sligo people are "special". biggrin.gif

Give me back my towel. I'll sue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

"racially motivated attack" is a term which falls under the sad banner of political oportunism. The term "Racism", with regard to people to specific regions (not race)was touted in Clare (I think) about eight years ago as a way to insulate an electorate against "foreign" (anywhere outside 20 miles) mdeia and opinion with regard to local issues.

Convince people they are victems with terms like that and they will vote for you again. A distasteful and small minded tactic that does alot of harm to our country, but is really typical of politicians throughout the country.....

p.s. the people who dabble in this behaviour usually are trying to establish a platform to protect themselves against the label racist when the give a right wing opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

Erm, it is a svage little town, dont get yer knickers in a twist.

I went there with my college for a "mystery tour" even though we knew it was sligo coz thats where they go every year.

We went to some dive of a pub first and had a pint drinking/swallowing competition and then onto some club forget the name tho....

Aka: Dragon,Sexual Harassment Panda

p.s. I did not mean to draw any inference about Clare people in my above comments, I say this in case a Clare person has left clare and discoverd the internet, telephone, electricty, banks, automobiles and tarmac roads wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Fe<kin Chulchies !!! wink.gif :P

No !!!!! I will crush you with my Bare hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I know a few peeps livin in Sligo, in fact
    I used to go there quite a lot when I was
    in college. Well it's not that far away and
    the burd was livin there. And imo it is a
    savage little town. There are streets ya
    cant walk down after 10 bells. The traffic
    system is insane, and the people, well least
    said and all. But is a great spot to go out
    anywhere ya can go out and watch that bloke
    from Westlife get a kickin is good for me.

You never expect the Beefy Inquisition !!!

The Sunday Independent is a RAG. The guy who wrote the article is most likly from some place really backward, but as a dub I can tell you the most elitest snobs in Dublin are from the country who think they are "west brits" and better then the place they came from.

Sligo people should pay him no heed. He (and his paper) has gotten what he wants, and thats publicity (anybody remember the special olympics piece???).

The Indo has become an english gutter tabloid with all the trimming adn cheap tricks (does Eamon Dunphy work for th

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement