Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twelve-times tables

Options
  • 29-12-2004 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭

12x1=12
    12x2=24
    12x3=36
    12x4=48
    12x5=60
    12x6=72
    12x ...

I realise this is a little lower in the level of sophisitcation this board is used to.

I was talking to a chinese guy recently. School children there don't do twelve-times (and eleven-times) tables, quite probably because they don't have the same concept of a dozen or 12d in a shilling.

Will we be able to do away with the twelve-times tables with full metrification?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

They do do? We do do too.

Or is it that they don't do?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ha-ha :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

lol.. i'm pretty sure they still do 12x tables.. the wonders of calculators

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I never did those in school (1980s) and we learned the metric system only. I thought that was typical.

well.. i was a lil after your time. :rolleyes: we had the Busy at maths books ... :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yeah, we had "Busy at Maths" and "Figure It Out" too but it was all metric.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes they are still at it. Was tortured by a friend's child to "test" him about two years back :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

why not go as far as 16 times tables - in hex too,
    seriously 12 is a handy number as lots of things divide into it, so everyone gets a slice of the pie.

some would say that 12 times 12 is gross

12 times 12 = 144... always easy to remember really quick for some reason..

oh and you know the way the mind remembers better in 7's.. thats definatly true.. cos like when i was in like seniors.. i could do them the easiest.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

12*12 is easy to remember, and time for a rant.

If you like learning just squares, then you can do any multiplication like this:

a * b = [(a + b)(a + b)]/4 - [(a - b)(a - b)]/4

Ala the Babylonians with their crazy maths.

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

smiles wrote:
    12*12 is easy to remember, and time for a rant.

If you like learning just squares, then you can do any multiplication like this:

a * b = [(a + b)(a + b)]/4 - [(a - b)(a - b)]/4

Ala the Babylonians with their crazy maths.

<< Fio >>

You can alrite. Can't see it being a big hit amongst 9 years olds :p

is_that_so wrote:
    Can't see it being a big hit amongst 9 years olds :p
    Nor the 32 year olds. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

smiles wrote:
    If you like learning just squares, then you can do any multiplication like this:<< Fio >>

multipli-wha?
    just use addin'

0+0+0+1=1 = 1 x 1
    1+1+1+1=4 = 2 x 2
    4+2+2+1=9 = 3 x 3
    9+3+3+1=16 = 4 x4
    100+10+10+1 = 11 x 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

And then we of course we move on to adding all the numbers between a and b. e.g. 1+2+3+4+5+6+....+98+99+100 = 101 x 50 = 5050

Anyone feel sorry for the teacher Master Büttner who set some primary school kids the task of adding all the numbers between one and a hundred to keep them busy. And then have young mister Gauss come back with the answer a few seconds later...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think there should be a progression to hexadecimal math. Far superior. 200 years time, all math will be in hex. Brilliant.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

What's so superior about it? (I assume you just mean arithmetic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

i was weird loved both 5, 9 and 12 times tables i thought it was a good way of helping later on in school life to know them all

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ecksor wrote:
    What's so superior about it? (I assume you just mean arithmetic).
    Slightly quicker calculation.

Em, that's about it. :D

seamus wrote:
    I think there should be a progression to hexadecimal math. Far superior. 200 years time, all math will be in hex. Brilliant.
    Binary is much better, with just your fingers and toes you can count to 2^20 (= 1048576, base 10). In hexadecimal you can only count to 14* ;)

I much prefer octal.

*= 20 (base 10)

• Advertisement
Advertisement