Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Adult

Options
  • 28-12-2004 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Im 22 but I absolutely love reading this stuff. Its really refreshing to pick up a book and just read it for fun without having to look for hidden meaning in every sentance. Im a big fan of the Harry Potter series and also the Bartimaeous Trilogy by Johnathon Stroud.

I have also read His Dark Materials by Phillup Pullman which was great but just about YA I think. Diane Duane's Young Wizard series is also a great read and pretty original I think.

What do you all think of YA? What the appeal for you or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

like everything, some good, some bad, some great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Yeah Pullman's trilogy is good and so many adults read Harry Potter, there ain't nothin wrong with reading those types of books. But I would never be content with reading them constantly, I definitely love a book that really gets to you and makes you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

His Dark Materials was good, I felt the Amber Spyglass let it down a bit though... Northern Lights was so good....

I'll read whatever's good/recommended to me, but I have a tendency to stay away from that section, maybe it's just the teenage rebellion thing, but it seems so patronising, sort of like, "now, here are the easy books for kids to read, where no word has more than two syllables, and they're all about lovely topics about family values and kids getting puppies..."
    That said, a lot of the books that I've read that came from that section were rather excellent, so that particular stereotype can't be entirely correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Micro1

Ive always been of the opinion that a good book, is a good book. Its never bothered me what genre it comes from. Im 27 (bugger) and a few of my mates laugh at me when ever they see me reading something like 'his dark materials', but its there loss in the end.

Advertisement