Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those dastardly Taliban

Options
  • 03-03-2001 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

They are just not right. It wasnt enough that they order women to stay at home(no work for you!), and cover up totally,and not speak to men other than relatives. it wasnt enough that they have almost completely sealed off afghanistan from all foreign "interference"(including the Red Cross and other AID groups afaik)while many of their people live in misery. now they have gone and decided that all statues are "un-islamic". at a convention of 63 islamic countries the talibans decision was condemned. They are destroying ancient buddhist statues with rockets and other heavy weapons.Really cool, big,old amazing statues.
    Sad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Thats what comes of being small minded a$$holes I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Has anyone been watchin Langan behind the lines,
    hes visiting a load of muslim countries, he visited afganistan and its illegal to take pictures of people,only pictures of buildings aother objects are allowed and yet when he visited talivan troops they all dived to get in the video and said "film me film me allah gave such a pretty face"

I like stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

There's a line at which people's rights to exercise their own beliefs becomes secondary to the need for some common f*cking sense. They crossed this line a long, long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

yeah,
    These statues date from the 3rd century and are the largest standing buddahs in the world.
    It appears they are holding them to ransom in order to extract a lightening of sanctions against their country,if they really wanted to blow them up they could have done it already without anyone knowing any the wiser.
    Bunch of Fascists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

its all based on there interputation of the koran which is well just a tat extreme.

The religon itself is not the cause of opressed lifestyle in this country its the nutz who inflect it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Behind the Lines on BCC showed up exactly the reasons for muslim extremism - it's not at all unique. Like Ireland, Israel and former Yugoslavia, a large part of the problem is the socio-economic climate these coutries find themselves in. When things get difficult, it's always easy for countries to blame scapegoats for their problems and turn to extreme solutions. For example, langan showed that the Taliban's decree that women completely cover themselves when outside shows the measures that are being taken to 'cure' the country or its problems. Yes there was anarchy before the Taliban but after the Taliban, the anarchy and injustice has just gone underground. The real problem is the lack of money and social stability that it can bring - though it's not the whole solution. Only when the UN involves itself in establishing a compatible form of government across the entire region will the injustices begin to fade. well, that's my two cents.

"I collect spores, moulds and fungus."

hi nuero,
    no smelly socks is someone else entirely,
    but i think we have both posted on fugly'
    <i got bored with fugly in a weekend.>
    Plus our experiences of drugs are similar
    but personaly i disagree with acid entirely and i am thinking of quiting e also.
    I like the Socks connection,work of a true conspiracy theorist j/k.Spooky Coincidence though.

ok back on topic

Yes Afganistan is a Islamic country but it has not always been so.The Buddahs predate the arrival of Islam by several centuries.
    The fact that the buddahs have remaind unscarred for hundreds of years proves that Islam has historically had respect for other cultures,another case in point is the Wailing wall in juruselem which remained unscathed throughout the riegns of several sultans.(the rest of the temple having been raized to the ground by the Romans)
    Of course not all Islamic Empires throughout history have been so benign in their interpretations of the Koran,the Moguls (i believe) in northwestern india were notorious for defacing (literally) statues and carvings in their occupied territories and the legacies of this have repurcussions in the modern world,In the Mid 90s the BJP in India attempted to Demolish a mosque sited on the remains of a Holy Temple (i think the birthplace of Krishnu) that led to severe Riots and Murders that lasted weeks.
    Anyway History Lesson Over...Whats My Point?
    Er lets check
    Ok i mean if the Talleban really found these idols as offensive as they claim,they could have arrived with a Truck Load of Explosives overnight and Demolished them before anyone was any the wiser,but they didnt they deceided to declare their intentions to a justifiably horrified world in order to lever ecconomic advantage.
    The similarities of their policies to fascism,>Control of the media,Indoctrination of the young,scapegoating of women and foriegners,murder,torture and imprisonment of political opponents,i could go on but i think you get my point.
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Yea but clinton...it was only one paragraph long.....

???

[This message has been edited by Clintons Cat (edited 04-03-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Me thinks he is talking bout the Scam post smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

*usually a Half life poster , but this caught my eye so be Gentle smile.gif*
    True it looks like the Talheban are Ignorant gits ,but its an Islamic state and those statues are fundimentaly offensive to its Islamic population , no matter what theyre historical importance are .
    The Nation of Islam have a documented proplem with Heathen Iconry .Its the same in Egypt , while youll find an established tourist industry , the more zealous of Egyptians are very unhappy with the role the Ancient egyptian *un-Islamic* culture plays in thier national Identity , It may seem a bit intolerant but thats Islam for you

J'allah Habibi , baby

Time waits for No man ...except Bob MaClean the Sex Machine

Also I should point out , I refer to Islam as Neo-Isamic Fundamentalism , which has its routes in Post Crusade schisms within Islam which found route within Central Asia smile.gif

-Not Bob Maclean

thats islam for you?

fu<kng hell even the iranian press is flaming the afgans for this,
    fu<k off and stick to playing half life you ignorant little troll,

was that gentle enough for you?

and yes Egypt Pyramids and idols have been under islamic control for centuries, long before the concept of ecconomic tourism was even dreamt up.

ps hi whitelancer,i am just getting warmed up

So what you meant is, "It may seem a bit intolerant but thats Neo-Isamic Fundamentalism for you?"

Right...?

[This message has been edited by Clintons Cat (edited 05-03-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Hi Clinton's Cat, what are you talking about there? Um, isn't Afghanistan an Islamic nation? you confused me there. Could you repost and verify what you meant?

Are you the same person as Smelly Socks? You have strikingly similar views...and well, Bill Clinton's Cat is *called* Smelly Socks...

Give me back my towel. I'll sue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

The atrocities the Taliban have been carrieing out are beyond even what the Nazis did, and to their own people.

However it should be pointed out the Taliban did not start n Afghanistan but in Pakistan where Afghan refugees were trained and indocternated under Pakistan supervision. The idea being that the "islamic" kudos would be good for Pakistans image.

The desruction of the statues comes on the back of horendus crimes perpetrated against innocent civilians for years. However its ramifications are frightening. By destroying a countries history you leave only the imediate. With history destroyed, the only frame of reference the Afghan people will have to structure their society (now and in the future)is the Taliban.

This is truely disturbing (1984 comes to mind). Is it the fate of Islamic countries under extremists to be populated by nothing more than Slaves, sand and warped interpretations of the Koran?

I applaude those Muslims who have had the courage to stand up to this savagery, both through word and deed. And I should like to condemn unreservidly as "cowards" those muslims in the west who voice support for the Taliban based soley on their religious sympathies. They enjoy western lifestyles and civil rights denied the Afghan people under the Taliban.

Afghanistan is a country not a religion. Someone should wake up and bomb the Taliban back to their spiritual home in the stone age (Iran may yet do it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Opium is illegal in Afghanistan, but the Talian impose a duty on growing the poppy which they defend by saying that the opium isn't actually made there but in someother country.

Nil Desperandum

Good stuff magwitch , intresting to see the UK islamic community standing up for theyre Islamic brethren , but you don see em slumming it with Lebaneese shi-ites do you ?

As for Clinton Cat *sox aint it?*
    Well yeah ..what ever the pros and cons of a degree of Islamic culture that can be found within the Talhebans Afghanistan its a legitimate religon and theyres not much you can do about it , but it raises a larger question ,the role of the Woman in Islam...not just it Hard-line Afghanistan but throught the Nation of Islam , I remember once i was in a spanish city of Donnasdias in a bar , A man who looked like a moroccan was litteraly dragging his wife across the street by the hair , nobody could do anything for her because of the legitamate sub-serviant role of the woman in Islam , it would interfere with both the Man and the womans religous rights , It hardly seems fair does it

Not Bob Maclean

Also Im proabably treading the path of Salamon Rusty here but :

Islam never should have been a religon of the magnitude its reached , It imposed its doctrine by force rather than ideal , The Islamic Arabs of Saudi Arabia spread thier Religion throught Northern Africa , Western and Central Asia , the Middle east and even spain , they were finally stopped in france by Charles Martel ,but Islam had been firmly established as a world religion in just over a Decade in the eight century

Not Bob maclean , not an ensign anymore smile.gifsmile.gif

magwitch you are spot on,
    a close comparision of the tallebans current policies would be Pol Pot's year Zero,or Chairman Mao's Cultural revolution both with similar aims of eradicating a nations culture and history for their own agendas.

Belend*thats it isnt it? I do not need an alter ego to deal with an ignorant troll like yourself.
    Mis treatment of women is not an exclusivly islamic failing,on new years eve i saw an english man bottle a woman and then return with a baseball bat to threaten her friends.
    From this should i draw the conclusion that all Westerners beat females in the street with bottles?

Where ever there is misery you will find me

• Advertisement

actually true islam is an evangelical religion,
    please continue enlightening us with your amazing insights into the islamic mind,i could direct you to a few hate sites if you run out of ideas.

"throughout the nation of islam"?

dont make me laugh,the only serious subscriber to the ideals of pan islamic unity is Colonel Gadaffi and he is mad.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    what ever the pros and cons of a degree of Islamic culture that can be found within the Talhebans Afghanistan its a legitimate religon and theyres not much you can do about it</font>

yeah they said something like that about Hitlers policies and state soveriegnty in the thirties,but just because i cant stop it doesnt mean i should like it...

[This message has been edited by Clintons Cat (edited 05-03-2001).]

Heh I knew that would draw some flak smile.gif

I hate to play the ace in the hole *right phrase?* But theyre is of course the dubious life history of Mohammed himself , A documented traveller ,Mohammed undoubtedly had contact with Jewish and Christian pilgrims throughout the Middle east , Theese influences can be seen in Islam ,to take an athiestic and indeed clinical view of life it can be reasonably assumed that Mohammed's Islam is a combination of several religion mixed in with some very practical Ideology which just happened to manifest into a very sound religion , not to say Islam doesnt have strong points , Its strong family Ideals for example , but the flipside of the coin is its ability to be manipulated into what its followers want to see , Take for instance its ability to be used as a catalyst for Violence and war . The same is true of most religions (The Islamic conquests of the eary middle ages and its direct comparison the the Christian crusades eh ? eh?) but wether because of some flaw of Doctrine or the Socio-Historical nature of its faithful , its seems to fall victim to it wholesale

Oh yeah ...forgot *in the spirit of Double Post Sunday* Colonel gadaffi is a Islamic fundamentalist *that is to say he believes fundamentaly in the idea of Islam rather than the dorogatory stigma of "rabble-rousery" its earned thanks to the Anti-Arab nature of US Interventionism policies* but Mad ? I think not , just scapegoat for CNN , the First world needs a Hate Figure *especially since the fall of the "Commies"*
    Gafaffi is just one in a long list of Negative influences throughout the word who gets picked on due to US desire to "Get out there and Kick some ass" Think Castro , The Iatollah , Sadam Hussein and Milosovich
    I mean please

yeah well i love a good flame war too,

well played sir,
    smile.gif

Also ..while I agree with magwitch's earlier statement , I re-iterate : The Telheban isnt strictly a political organisation operating through force , Rather a Religious Ideal operating through a Governmental path which operates through force . And as for Identity replacement , I dont think thier Buddhist heritage rates too highly in your average Afghani Muslim zealot ...do you ?

heh,so now your ****ed cause i called gadafi mad?

seems i know how to troll as well

Fast learner aint i?

Draw your own conclusions,

Ooops sorry to interrupt yer posting spree ,
    Right back at ya ...wouldnt be very intresting if we all agreed , would it? wink.gif

Well Its not so much that you called him mad ...so much that you assumed hes mad cos he has an opinion contrary to that of the western world...I mean dont believe everything you see of Sky news folks

• Advertisement

"I dont think thier Buddhist heritage rates too highly in your average Afghani Muslim zealot ."

Probaly not and until last week i didnt know they had one,and most people will probally wonder why the world is so ****ed at what in the scope of things ammounts to a bunch of rocks.
    Your average Afghani Muslim zealot probally finds such things an affront to his beliefs because it raises difficult questions which the black and white world of blind faith cannot answer.Again draw parrellels between the destructions of these idols and the book burnings of the Nazis and destruction of works of art they considered 'disturbing'.
    Here Endeth the sermon

Nice smile.gif One

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement