Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ One, Monday 27/12 @ 18:20

Options
  • 26-12-2004 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Gerry Ryan's 1980s Hitlist - a look back at classic '80s telly.

Should have plenty of clips of Dempsey's Den, Fortycoats, etc...

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Just watched it. Was pretty good, but there was no sign of Fortycoats or Bosco or any of those things. Number 1 in the list was
    Zig and Zag
    so we did get to see some of
    The Den

Certainly brought back lots of memories. Was great to see the likes of MT USA, No. 1, Anything Goes (albeit very briefly), The Live Mike, etc. again.

Gringeworthy moments included Miley singing that "Byroad To Glenroe" song, The Castlebar International Song Contest, The Calor Housewife Of The Year (could you imagine something like that being shown on the telly these days? There'd be uproar over it! :D), Play The Game and the evolution of Pat Kenny over the years! :eek:

Still though, it was pretty good overall. Hopefully RTE will show it again sometime as I never thought of taping it and I'm sorry I didn't now. Though, seeing as Gerry Ryan said "have a happy New Year" at the very end of the programme, it probably means we won't actually get to see it until possibly this time next year, if they do decide to ever repeat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Victor_Meldrew

The lack of Fortycoats and Bosco was unforgivable.

I must say though - RTÉ could definitely do with bringing back Zig & Zag and sacking the bunch of gobshites currently presenting the patronising bollocks masquerading as childrens' television. That fucker who presents The Den nowadays should be shot with his own shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Agreed, Victor. The Den seems to have really gone down the toilet since Ray Darcy left. The presenters they've gotten since have been totally sh!te, completely talentless. At least Ian Dempsey and Ray Darcy had some talent and they used to interact brilliantly with the likes of Zig & Zag and Dustin (and, of course, who can forget Ray's legendary fights with Ted! :D). The people they have as presenters now just haven't a clue. Even Dustin's gone sh!te now, probably because there's no proper interaction and funny remarks and what have you between him and the presenter.

And I think the reason there may have been no footage of Fortycoats or Bosco and the like is because over the years RTE actually recorded over the tapes of them. Which is completely unforgiveable as well. F**kin' RTE muppets! :mad:

Oh yeah, having watched that show this evening, I have one last thing to say:

BRING BACK 'MAILBAG'! :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Bah! I was gonna watch it when Fortycoats was a programme mentioned in a TV Guide synopsis of the programme. Glad now I missed nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,507 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Bring back the Calor Gas houswife of the year competition!!!!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement