Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights of the KKK to march

Options
  • 02-12-2000 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Woody Allen on the rights of the KKK to march somewhere -

"I think you should defend to the death their right to march, and then go down and meet them with baseball bats."

Im with Woody!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I agree, go Woody.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Me too. Filthy racist scum...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

History Lesson; I digress slightly but in a similar vein,
    During Theodore Roosevelt's term as NY Police chief(turn of century), a violent anti-semite speaker came over from Germany to preach against Semites. NY's jewish population was not too happy about this and planned counter demos. TR's solution was to provide constant protection for the speaker comprised of a police unit made up of Jewish Officers to keep the peace.
    The speaker returned home soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Hello Mr. Allen,

A very valid point you make in the very short statement of yours about the now-infamous Ku-Klux-Klan. I wonder how easily that would translate across to our own particular domestic situation in Ireland and the well known little movement we have over here, - namely the Orangemen.

Defending their speech is one thing, and as a one-time aspiring journalist myself, I'd be the first, perhaps, to jump loosely onto the "wuh wuh wuh... free speech is everything... wuhhhhh wuhhhh wuhhh..." bandwagon... BUT.. do we equally have as much freedom, as we are empowering them with there, to meet Mr. Paisley at the crossroads with heavy metal implements and bludgeon him until his skull is visible to the nekkid eye... I ask you.

Maybe my point is valid too... maybe you're just a sensationalist little Jewish actor-slash-director dude with the appropriately large nose who is looking for a bit of publicity by saying something ... well... sensational...

Maybe I'm just talking complete b0ll0cks after having only 4 pints of the fine stuff they call Holsten Pils... we may never know... but such is life...

Then again... as portrayed on bowsie.com...

Ian Paisley... what a w*nker!

bard2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

It's nothing to do with freedom of speech, it's the right to march that he's defending... (and he doesn't appear to be defending it that strongly)...

I'm not disputing the fact that the Orangemen have the right to march- however I am disputing the fact that they have the right to march through an area/road where the majority (i.e.: Catholic/Nationalist) do not wish them to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doc:
    I'm not disputing the fact that the Orangemen have the right to march- however I am disputing the fact that they have the right to march through an area/road where the majority (i.e.: Catholic/Nationalist) do not wish them to do so.
    </font>

I'm not disputing that either. However... I don't really want to get into a political or sectarian debate. I happen to think that the Orangemen have every right to march/walk down any damn road they like... just like I have the right to stand on the corner of O'Connell Street and Abbey Street at 3am on a Saturday morning. I happen to agree with the idea that if practically 100% of the residential population of a road would prefer the option of these people kindly f**king off rather than prancing down their road showing off their flags/banners/arses/whatever then the twats should have the common sense not to do so... but hey... c'ést la vie.

Still... as I said at the start... lets not make this a political debate... or we'll get every Tom, Dick, Harry and tabloid that thinks the Internet is evil (TM) on it...

Cheers bro,

bard2.gif

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 30-12-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah Bard but if you walked down O'Connell street at 3am on a Saturday morning and were singing "Yiz are all ****3rs!" while banging a big bass drum, you'd find your civil rights being seriously (and painfully) infinged. wink.gif

People have the right to say and do what they like except when they are infringing other peoples rights, which imho is what the KKK and the Orangemen are all about.

"I hate Illinois Nazi's" - Jake Blues

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Wow, golly, gosh, have I got an innovative plan for this. yes, yes...it's coming to me now...I know! if people are disgusting bullies, let's beat them until their flesh hangs off - that'll teach 'em the right way to do things. who's gonna join my vigilante group? eh? i've got a stick. all who sign up must bring their own sack - but don't fear - I'll supply the doorknobs.

Do your limbs ever get tingly, eh? eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Doorknobs are so passe - pool balls get the job done better.

Ok, nice one. So Castor can be the Weapons man and I'll be spokesperson and neuro-praxis can be Presidente.

art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Right, I'll provide lots of these: mp5ksuppress.jpg

and maybe some of these smile.gif

minigun.jpg

Boomtux9.gif

Ph33R M3!!!!!

mmmmmmmmmm hardware mmmmmm