Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yay.

Options
  • 31-10-1999 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

well ferrari won the constructors so i'm happy.
    fair ****s to hakkinen he deserved it in the end, if irvine could drive like him he would have won.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Damn right, pity tho, even though the best man won, it would've been cool to have an Irishman win the title..

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

If he'd won he would have become British.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Wonder can he get his FIA nationality changed for next season, so we don't have to listen to Gawd Help The Queen every time he kicks a$$ next year.

It's a pity it had to be that whinging crybaby of a Fin to beat him.. have you ever seen a worse loser or winner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hakinnen didnt deserve the title as much as last year, yet he was (apart from frentzen and ralf who werent in top-competitive cars) the best driver out there, theres no way Irvine can or will drive like him or Michael.
    they are a class above and deserve to win the title. The only thing Irvine has going for him is a bunch of Irish ppl and the media who jump on his bandwagon.
    Most critics believe (and of course schumacher himself) that schuey would have been champion if not for the crash.
    as for nationality Irvine will be driving for an American car next year badged british so expect to see and hear a LOT more from murray walker about him being british etc.
    If you dont like that simply listen to Peter Collins and co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

Face it Irive will always be known as a Irish man but a British driver he was born in the North and doesnt want to disrespect the British by putting up a Irish flag.

He was also threathend that if he does put up a Irish flag that his family will be killed by some loyalist vvankers why should he risk putting a fukken flag up for that.

When he won in Monico btw the Irish flag was flying smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

The question still remains though - is Irvine not quite up to the same level as Hakkinen/Frentzen/etc, or is the car as good? Having Schumacher as a teammate can really screw around with the perception of how good a car is...

He semed a bit inconsistant during the second half of the season, so one has to wonder. Definately dont think he deserved to win the title though 'Irish' or not - he won 2 races himself fair and square, but had 2 others handed to him by his teammates, whereas all the other drivers earned themselves all the races they won (especially Frentzen).

The most interesting question I think remains is how will Trulli fare in the Jordan next year. After watching him for a good part of the season after signing for Jordan, he seemed to be behind Panis quite a bit. This, and the fact that he was signed on Damon Hill's advice, makes you wonder...
    By the looks of it, hes got a difficult time of it with frentzen in the other seat too.

just as a final note about Irvine, his passport is British, so hes british according to the FIA. That aint going to change any time soon, and afaik, he doesnt want the Irish flag flown anyway. It was flown once or twice when he was driving for Jordan for obvious reasons, but since then, matters have been clarified and he gets the British flag.

Hes still got an Irish driving licence though smile.gif

OK, enough.

Sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I think everyones just hoping that Trulli will fare better than Hill..
    I seriously doubt we'll see jordan be vying for top honors next season as jaguar and williams will be a LOT stronger.
    they'll be lucky if they can hold onto that third place.. lets hope they do.
    and barrichello in a ferrari now thats a MUCH more interesting situation, rubens went a bit mad at the situation at jordan where he wasnt given much respect.. then he blossomed at stewart, i'm reckoning hes going to have/need a lot of confidence throughtout the season to be schumachers #2 as its not a role rubens plays well.. still though damn fast driver and i'm reckoning his mclaren counterpart coulthard will be out-qualified by him each and every time.

Advertisement