Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Cyclists launch 'radical' road safety plan

Options
  • 19-12-2004 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭

The Irish Cycling Campaign (ICC) today outlined its radical new approach to road safety in Ireland by suggesting the authourities should try enforcing the traffic laws . David Maher PRO of the ICC explained "we know this would be a dramatic departure from the National Safety Council's (NSC) current policy of staging endless PR stunts backed up an invisible police force. God knows the authourities have tried everything else, how about trying to actually enforce the law ?"

Maher explained "the whole road safety campaign has been reduced to little more than farce. The number of speeding tickets issued annually has dropped by 80% since the introduction of penalty points, which is great for saving on paperwork, but tragic in terms of lives lost. The continuing slaughter on our roads is a direct result of a lack of political and policing will".

Maher continued "it is a scandal that the NSC seem content to issue endless appeals while enforcement levels in Ireland are so out of step with international standards. In Sweden a motorist can expect to pass a speed check on 1 in every 6 trips made, while in Ireland the figure is 4,000:1. Clearly it is the NSC who need 'Get the point' ".

The ICC have also called for a policy to restrict Heavy Good Vehicles (HGVs) from residential areas and the appointment of pedestrian and cyclist representatives to the board of the NSC.
    ENDS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Where's the plan or was it just an excuse for Maher to rant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

is he calling for the law to be enforced against cyclists as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭daymobrew

As a cyclist (me and presumably him) I would hope that he is. A lot of people dislike cyclists without lights. Me and my few kgs* of safety/lighting gear certainly do.

* Possible exaggeration of exact weight of helmet (with lights), gloves, front/back lights, sam browne belt and reflective ankle straps with lights to support my 'holier than thou' attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

He doesn't say anything to the contrary.

Advertisement