Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archos Gmini 400 Media Player 20Gb

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

Yeah, it looks good. But then you whip it out of your pocket on the bus/DART to watch a video, and *BAM* herpies!... oh I meant *BAM* mugged!

It's a pity you can't put different codecs on it and what not... limited to MPEG4 if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Theres another one on komplett with divx xvid etc support. Mpeg4 sucks moose urine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

Are you referring to this?

It's a bit big.... not really portable at 2.0kg either...

The archos would be fine... but you'd need to convert all your movies to mp4 to watch them. Which is teh ghey.

OGM support needed TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tursiops

I am looking forward to buying one of this gminis too.
    It's sure that you don't have to make all the people know you have such a thing, because, you will not have it for much time....

I've read all I could about this gmini, and there is a lot to make better, this is why it's very good, instead of excellent.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

mpeg4 = divx or xvid

DivX ;-) is a hacked MPEG4 codec allowing the encoding (and decoding) of high-quality MPEG4 video streams. MPEG4 is designed for low-bitrate applications and thus offers an excellent size/quality -ratio. As such DivX is ideal for very high quality DVD backups and other applications requiring high video quality at limited space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

i upgraded from an iriver h120 to the gmini 400 just before christmas and i have to say im well happy with it.

the only things i would say that goes against it is that the battery life is nothing compared to my old iriver (get just over 5 hours or vid or 10 hours of audio) but with that luvvery screen i will forgive it, and it doesnt come with a digital remote control or carry case.. which i had to buy seperatly...

the sound quality is very good and it comes with decent encoding/translation software to convert some non-compatible movie files.

it was pretty cheap too... i got it from the tax free dixons shop in manchester airport for £202, which worked out at just under €290.

i would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a small, light multimedia player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

SoundWave does it play xvids/divxs ( without converting )? How about power output, I want a portable player that does not need an amplifier to make music sound loud ( I mean LOUD ) even my Sennheiser MX400's are too much for most portable players frown.gif I would hate to hear them with a proper pair of earphones.....so does the Archos give a good, big, clear, clean bang for your battery buck?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

yeah most xids and divx clips play fine... i had a problem with one or 2 tho.. but never looked into why.. im lazy

as for sound its very good, the volume goes up pretty damn high, all the way to 31.... a lot of players only go to 30 :p:p (thats one extra)... ive only a pair or Hitachi TMP021's and at top volume u can hear it clearly from the the other side of the room

as i said the battery life is good but could be better..

i would certainly recommend it to others.

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I've had mine since the week it was released and its a great little gadget. As Chalk pointed out mpeg4 = divx. Any divx I've stuck on it has played fine. I don't know why people are still buying ipod’s when there are much better alternatives out there. Its the same size if not smaller than an ipod and offers a whole lot more.

Battery is ok not great. You'll get between 10 1/2 hours to 11 hours of music and 6 1/2 hours for video playback. I charged it up fully and left it running to test the battery life and these were the average times.

The only gripe I have with is that it can become quite hot if you have it on for a few hours, and I mean hot. I had it connected up to my pc and charging at the same time and I picked it up and it felt like I stuck my hand in the fire. No kidding.

It doesn't come with a case and the official case costs €40 with another €15 delivery. Even the most basic ipod comes with a free case.

Soundwave if you update the firmware the volume goes all the way up to 100 :)

I've have over 10 gigs of family guy, south park and curb your enthusiasm on mine. Think of this when your buying an ipod.

Advertisement