Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL Network

Options
  • 16-12-2004 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone else was finding problems with the UL network. I'm in co-op at the moment, so I haven't been around UL much lately, but I popped over to the library to grab some stuff off the network, and couldn't connect! At first I was using my own laptop, and I couldn't ping any of the computers connected in any of the villages. I thought maybe it was just my config so I went to one of the college machines, and the same thing happened.
    Remember last year when everyone used strange search? I never bothered with that, just used to browse IPs, but now nothing responds at all. 10.200.0.0 was the plassey ip range (I used to live there). I even tried pinging names of guys I know are always on, and it resolved their IPs but then times out. Is the college cracking down on this type of stuff or have they just changed the ip ranges?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Theres only a few places in the library that the laptop can connect to the web, mostly the line of study places in front of the check-out desks (if you know what I mean) and also the first few study places by the EDC. Getting into networks like Plassey is pretty much impossible IMO. It was possible to get into the networks at the start of semester from Plassey, cant do it now.

The web service itself (fom Plasssey at least) is very poor, going offline a few times a day for 4/5 minutes at a time.

Strangesearch is gone, as is its replacement :( Now what do we do for movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Oh I know where to get connected via laptop, as in I could browse the internet, just not the network, which was a bit pointless! Also the wireless network in the lib seems to be gone too. What is going on at all! Are you living in plassey at the moment klong?

yeah, i am, network (as in web) has been very contrary here in the last 2 weeks :(
    Ive heard that the college are cracking down on things like Strangesearch (which may explain its disappearence, as well as its replacements' disappearence)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

I'd say they could be cracking down on it.

The university could get sue'd or something, what with the thousands of euros of software, music and film's being pirated everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Piracy was rampant 10 years ago when I was in UL. They're only clamping down now? :)

• Advertisement

yeah, its only this year. Last year was great with Doogle and all.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

and marty

us in brookfield have about 2 TB shared! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hush peter! fs! dont want them clamping down on us lil men here!!

/me slaps pete with a large novelty trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

You guys from brookfield are ok, ya don't have the big fellas from ITD looking at what you're doing all the time!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Ah ITD.. brings back fond memories of ITD1 - is Chris still in Operations there ? He used hate when we used to run shout and get unsuspecting people to prepare to pour water down the backs of their terminals ....

• Advertisement
Advertisement