Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever been to Thailand?

Options
  • 24-05-2000 3:49pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭

biggrin.gif

Eh, thinking about going there next year(in my dreams).

Cheap or what?

Come on someone out there must have been there, after all when I was small I used to think that Santa lived there...unfortunately with age comes realisation....Thailand not Toyland, (sob)..I never recovered really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Not meaning to bring down the tone of the conversation or anything [would I ever??]but what are your *reasons* for going? smile.gif

Thai women have very annoying voices, ever notice that?

Al.

"Vogages of Al the Sailor-man[1]" coming soon...

1. Err, ok, so it was Economy class. I wasn't far off...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

i want to go to iceland

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I was in Bangkok airport for about an hour to and from Singapore. That's about all I saw of it. I remember buying a massive meal for under a quid.

Here is the todays Travel Watch (it's a subscribe thing, so I can't post the link)...
    OVERVIEW
    Bangkok, the capital of Thailand with a population of approximately 8 million people, is very crowded and bustling.  Traffic in the city is very heavy and slow moving, and this should be taken into account when calculating travel time.   Pollution levels are high as a result of the numerous vehicles in use in a relatively small area.  Travelers should take precautions against petty crime, such as pick-pocketing, particularly in the city's entertainment districts and at tourist attractions.  Visitors should take authorized transportation from the airport to the city and avoid unlicensed taxis and tour guides.

LATEST NEWS

* Bangkok police have stepped up security around the Embassy of Myanmar (Burma) following a bomb threat phoned in to the embassy on May 14 by a man claiming to be a Canada-based Myanmar national. No explosive device was found.
    * An American English teacher was assaulted by three security guards at a go-go bar in the Lumpini district on May 6, and according to local media, he filed a complaint with authorities stating a policeman passing by witnessed the attack and did nothing. Ê The man said the guards beat him after he refused to turn over a roll of film containing photos of friends and female employees he had taken at the bar.Ê
    * The Cabinet approved on May 2 a police proposal to prohibit cell phone use while driving, local media reported. ÊThe regulation is to be included in a new bill expected to be taken up in the next parliamentary session in June.Ê Parliament will determine penalties should members pass the bill.
    * The health ministry has asked hotel operators to participate in voluntary inspections following the death of a British tourists from Legionnaire's disease, local media reported May 5.Ê An inspection of 74 buildings, including hotels, hospitals and office buildings, in five cities had already detected presence of the disease bacteria in one-third of them.Ê The disease is usually caused by bacteria growing in air conditioners and causes a pneumonia-like illness.
    * A British tourist was shot and robbed by a taxi driver and an accomplice after leaving the Bangkok International Airport early on February 29. Ê The driver was using a metered taxi cab, according to Deutsche Presse-Agentur, and after picking up the Briton stopped to pick up another passenger -- the accomplice. Ê After turning onto a deserted road, the men pulled out a gun and shot the Briton when he refused to turn over his valuables, then kicked him out of the car, which sped off with his bags and camera equipment.Ê Travelers are advised to hire only licensed taxi cabs and tour guides when arriving at the Bangkok airport.

CALENDAR
    Expect government offices, banks and some private office to close on the following public holidays:

* July 1: Mid-Year Day
    * July 17: Khao Phansa Day, a Buddhist holiday
    * August 12: Queen's Birthday

CLIMATE

* May -- average high 93F/34C, low 77F/25C

TIME ZONE
    GMT+7 hours
    CURRENCY EXCHANGE
    US$1= approx. 39.33 baht; 1 British Pound = approx. 58.27 baht
    BANGKOK (DON MUANG) INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (BKK)

* CUSTOMS: Expect delays. Locked baggage will be inspected. Declare currency over US$10,000. Airport departure tax: 255B (intÕl), 30B (domestic). Travelers must show round trip airline tickets or proof of onward travel to be issued a visa. "Fast track" immigration service available for first and business class travelers -- airlines can send a passenger list to airport immigration to process paperwork before passenger's arrival.
    * FACILITIES: Currency exchange usually open 24 hours, reasonable rates. Tourist information center: 8am-12am. ATM and international telephones available. Post office: 9am-5pm. First aid available 24 hours.
    * TRANSPORT TO CITY: Airport is 18 miles/29 km northeast of city. Hire taxis at taxi stand. Drive is approx. 60 minutes to city center. Drivers in both metered and unmetered taxis often try to pressure tourists to pay more.ÊÊ Buy ticket in terminal for unmetered taxis. Tip only for exceptional service. Car services available. Ê Avoid unlicensed taxis and tour guides -- some have been linked to crimes against tourists.

TRANSPORTATION

* TAXIS: Taxis are reliable and inexpensive, but often slow, due to congested traffic. Use only metered taxi. Taxis can be hailed on the streets, arranged through the hotel, or summoned by phone for a 20B surcharge. Tuk-tuks (3-wheeled motorcycle taxis) are often quicker, but occasionally involved in accidents. Women should avoid taxis when alone at night.
    * PUBLIC TRANSIT: Bus routes are extensive and reliable.Ê Cheap public buses are hot and crowded and care should be taken against pickpockets, purse-slashers and other petty criminals.Ê Air conditioned buses and microbuses have higher fares but are more comfortable, less crowded and recommended over regular public buses.Ê Water taxi service on the canals is a cheap and often less congested means of transport compared to taxis or buses.Ê The Skytrain began operating in December 1999. Ê Fares are set at between 10 and 40 baht, depending on distance traveled.Ê
    * CAR RENTAL:Ê Car rental is available.Ê Self-driving not recommended. Traffic is notoriously heavy, accidents are frequent, and parking is difficult.Ê A car with driver may be arranged through hotel and hired by the hour or for the day.
    * REGIONAL TRAVEL: Trains are dependable, moderately priced; reserve seats in advance. On trains to Malaysia, guard against pickpockets. Avoid buses, especially overnight trips. Boats are often crowded and dangerous. Avoid travel near Burma and Cambodia border regions.

CITY INFORMATION

* SAFETY SUGGESTIONS: Watch for petty theft in Patpong and Soi Cowboy entertainment districts and in tourist areas. Purse-snatchers on motorcycles are common. Avoid city's canal areas after dark. Keep valuables in hotel safe, including passport. Carry photocopy of passport at all times. Hire only reputable tour guides recommended by the hotel; avoid unlicensed taxis and tour guides. Avoid overtures from strangers, especially concerning gambling or discount gems. Explore nightlife with trusted locals or with a group.Ê Local police speak little English and are often ineffective -- report crime to the Embassy.
    * HEALTH CARE & PRECAUTIONS: Use only bottled water for drinking and personal hygiene. Avoid food from street vendors and raw vegetables and fruits that donÕt need peeling. Frequent reports of AIDS and hepatitis. Malaria and dengue fever endemic in rural areas, especially during rainy season (June-October). Medical care up to Western standards. For medical attention, go to Samitivej Hospital or Bangkok Mission Hospital.
    * MONEY: Hotels often give poor exchange rates. Credit card fraud is increasing -- use cards only at reputable or established businesses. Monitor transactions and retain carbon receipts. DonÕt give credit card information over the phone.
    * HOTELS: The Oriental, tel. 236-0400; Novotel Lotus, tel. 261-0111; Sheraton Grande Sukhuimvit, tel. 653-0333.
    * MISCELLANEOUS: Electricity: 220V; plugs with two prongs. Thai is primary language; English widely understood in tourist areas. Banks open Monday-Friday 10:00am-4pm. Museums open 9am-4pm. Shops generally open 10am-10pm.Ê It is considered impolite to touch ThaisÕ heads or point soles of feet at anyone.

USEFUL TELEPHONE NUMBERS
    Country Code: 66; City Code: 2; AT&T Direct: 001-999-111-11; MCI: 001-999-1-2001
    Local police: 255-5993/ 234-9246; Tourist police: 221-6206; Emergency: 191
    Embassies: US- 205-4000; Canada- 237-4125; Australia- 287-2680; UK- 253-0109; New Zealand- 251-8165;
    Japan- 252-6151; Israel- 260-4854; Denmark- 213-2021; Finland- 256-9306; France- 266-8250; Germany- 213-2331; Italy- 285-4090; Norway- 253-0290; Tourist information office: 226-0060

Before that scares you off, it makes Dublin out to be a city of thieves. So base it on that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

[official]thai food is the best in the world[/official]

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by MiCr0:
    [official]thai food is the best in the world[/official]

I'd agree with that. I can't remember what I got. It was kind of a stew and at a first glance it looked like dishwater but tasted great and excellent meal! :q

• Advertisement

Yeah, I love Thai soup!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Yeah, at lunch time here the only place that we can get food is this little Thai tent at the end of the street.It is fairly nice, but I is going slanty eyed with it.

After six months I'll be wearing one of them lamp shade hats and tending the Paddy fields.

(This topic was slightly influenced by a book I read, so I was thinking that it would be deadly to go to Thailand....supposedly the friendlies people in the world.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

where is this thai place BA?

Friendliest prostitutes in the world ...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Micro, that place is here in Munich, not Ireland..so it sould be an expensive meal for you.

Tr1n1ty, sounds great!

• Advertisement

There is a Thai place on Annes Lane called the Chilli Club. Check link for review.

I must head up there some time...

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭tr1n1ty

I've known plenty of people who have been but not been impressed. It was one of the places on my list to visit but I'm going off it. It seems to be hot, sticky with lots of traffic in Bangkok, with hookers on every street corner, lots of transexuals, good enough that you can't tell them from the girls....I gather the North of Thailand is supposed to be beautiful.

But a lot of people I've spoken to say to opt for Singapore instead - its a lot more pleasant and less 'sticky'

To Infinity and Beyond!

great site for restraunts http://www.adlib.ie

What country/city/town is Anne's Lane?

beside her house?

It's off Grafton St.

I think you can figure out where that is...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement