Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[TRAVEL] Best Holiday?

Options
  • 24-05-2000 3:55pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭

where does any one reckons is a good place to go on summer holls?
    what was u're best holiday?

last year i went over to hawaii for a week, so something interesting is required, not u're usual package deal.

MiCr0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I was in India and Nepal. More of an educational experience than a holiday.

I got my ticket through USIT, only IRP440 for fixed-return from Delhi.

April or October are the best times to go though, cos of climate.

Stay tuned for stories, see what ya think.

Alo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

we're planning on going in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by MiCr0:
    where does any one reckons is a good place to go on summer holls?
    what was u're best holiday?
    MiCr0

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I was going to recommend Hawaii, but you have already been. biggrin.gif

Hawaii is just incredible. I stayed in Kona+Hilo on Big island. It's got just about every weather system you'll find on the planet on one small island.

I think if you ever wanted a life changing experience go hiking to the inner crater at Volcano park in Hilo.

• Advertisement

we stayed in waikikki (sic). we went over in the first week in september, just after all teh us colleges went back so it was nice and quiet, but still roasting hot. it was about 35c all the time, nite and day.

is that volcano the one with the lookout tower at the top?
    if it is we walked it.
    fantastic view.

i would recommend hawaii to anyone, especially if u're working in the states this summer.
    when we went it only cost $349 each. that was about £250 at the time.

for that we got return flights from san francisco and a week's stay in a 4 star hotel in waikikki.

just go there

MiCr0

ps it really is just like baywatch

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Hawaii reminds me of melons and melons remind me of food and food reminds me that I'm hungry, fek!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by MiCr0:

ps it really is just like baywatch

Depends on the island, but yea. smile.gif

I was with work, and it was off season (Jan), so we got really good rooms cheap in the Hilton village ($150 a night). That place alone was incredible. I thought the porter was joking when he said a train would come through the lobby (the lobby being half open air with a waterfall in the background.

You really need to be able to drive though.

Maui, the island we were on was fine re transport.

"the bus" was very good as $1 did for the whole day biggrin.gif

there were serveral routes that went between honolulu and waikikki.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

so far for me it was cancun in mexico 2yrs ago. it was cheap (well, for going that far for a fortnight) and there was just so much to shaggin see/do. we staying in an hotel right on the lagoon, early in the morning before the private jetty got noisy you could see the odd crocodile lounging around, MAAAD smile.gif

its got a rather large reef, i had the joy of a 2 seater speedboat to pilot all the way out and back to it (about 2hr round trip) and then snorkling on the reef for about an hr or so, with a wee disposable waterproof camera.

inland theres lots of old mayan cities etc, the sortof stuff that only really impresses you when you are actually standing there looking/climbing it.

corona was 75p a bottle smile.gif

they have cheesy poofs smile.gif

yes i know it was a sun holiday, but i like a week lying by the pool followed by a week of mad activity, which is what it was.

this yr am off to tobago (hopefully), hmmmmmmm i feel relaxed just thinking about it smile.gif

• Advertisement

corona w/lime the drink of the gods

about 2 years ago we went to prague for a long weekend. class city with the cheapest beer i've ever seen

barcalona is looking like a nice option, either for a l-w or a week trip

but my favourite atm is northern italy, lake como etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭tr1n1ty

I don't know whether this would fit with a two week holiday but it would be really good for a spring break/long weekend - Prague. Truly a great place, loads of things to see, reasonably priced as long as you don't go to the tourist hang outs, a great pub called The James Joyce which is a great ex-pat hang out with Guiness and Jameson etc. But don't stick with the city, go up the mountains about an hour outside Prague. Its called Karlstein and its really nice. We were there 5 years ago and we had a great time and we're off back there on June 1st, with 2 year old in tow!

To Infinity and Beyond!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

For European cities, I'm a huge fan of Barcelona, off season. During the tourist season it's bloody awful - the locals are unfriendly, and it's full of drunk English people. However, if you go off-season, there is simply so much to do and see, it's incredible. Easily enough to occupy a week away without getting bored smile.gif

I might do Rome this year; last time I was there it was a bit rushed, and I didn't get a chance to see much, never mind being a bit too young to appreciate any of it. Gladiator pretty much has me settled on going back wink.gif

Ja,
    Rob

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I'm going to Prague either tonight or next weekend so when I come back I'll give you an update.

In August I'm going to Rome and looking forward to it too.

Think I've mentioned this before but Munich is idealy situated for visiting other countries and places.

**** it, my legs are aching but I think for the laugh I will head to Prague tonight.I shall post on my adventures on Monday, stay tuned!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement