Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic on Christmas Eve

Options
  • 15-12-2004 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Happy Christmas everybody! Had many free drinks last night, so I am a bit queasy today... oh aren't breakfast rolls great? :-)

Quick question. I was planning on driving home to Limerick from Dublin on Christmas eve, maybe leave around midday. Anyone got any idea on how long this would take? I would usally do this trip on the 23rd and traffic is very bad. But this year I have to work in the morning. Is traffic generally as bad on Christmas eve or would most have left already you think?

time for a quick snooze... zzzzzzzzzzzz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I'll be doing the same thing myself that day. From previous experience it's not too bad. Certainly not like a Friday. Reason being, people generally have a few days to get out of Dublin and the traffic on the 24th is spread over the whole day as well.

Should be no hassle. The fly in the ointment though is the bridge works (at Rathcoole I think?) on the N7 where the truck took a chunk out of the overpass. That may cause some agro. But don't get stressed. It's still Christmas! :)

Now for the scary seasonal anecdote, a few years ago when we had that big storm on Christmas eve I was travelling to Dublin from Limerick on the 24th. The high winds brought down a tree right across both south bound lanes of the N7 about 6 or 7 km before the Nass bypass motorway started. Traffic was backed up and stopped dead for kilometres heading out of Dublin. If you were a few kilometres back the Guards were diverting traffic down side roads. But several hundred motorists were caught unable to go forward or back while they waited on the men with the cranes and chainsaws. In most cases they would have had no idea why they were stopped either. That had to have been a nightmare! :eek:

Advertisement