Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there ANY Jazz musicians on Boards.ie?

Options
  • 14-12-2004 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

By this I mean people that play Bebop Standards, Coltrane, Davis, Monk, Parker, Montgomery, Evans, Brubeck, Coleman and Powell tunes etc etc....

Anyone?

Just interested to know.

Cheers
    Fusion

:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

I play allot of Allan holdsworth guitar stuff. I be well able for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

So Glad wrote:
    I play allot of Allan holdsworth guitar stuff. I be well able for it.

I'm sure you would be able for it, but ya don't play it.

I'm just askin does anyone play Wes Montgomery stuff etc...

btw, I love Allan Holdsworth, play his stuff too, but right now I'm on a Bebop buzz.

Cheers
    Fusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

I tried playing some Montgomery but the phrasing of the solos scared the hell out of me! :)
    Allan Holdsworth?? You must be pretty good.

I play Wes more the Allan, you're right with Wes it's all about his time and where he starts and ends a phrase, I transcribed a couple of his solos and when you look at where he's starting and ending phrases it makes listening to him so much better. He's a legend.

WES MONTGOMERY = LEGEND.

Octave Solos = Cramps!

The song 'days of red wine and roses' (not too sure on the title) has an amazing solo. The chord changes in that song are quite tricky too.

• Advertisement

yup it's not too bad, it was transcribed in Guitar Techniques a while back..I have it as one of my repitoir now...yep great solo alright

That's where i came across it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Well I'm in a band called The Jazzberries and we mostly play standards. Some of the Gershwins, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin... in the style of Joe Pass & Ella Fitzgerald. We do other songs too though, some Etta James covers and some Funky stuff but we do put a jazz style on things.

I excuse my choice of words on my previous post. I meant I can play Allan Holdsworth on my guitar. That being I am a musician who plays Allan Holdsworth.

It was hard in the beggining but it is easy enough now. The only thing that is quite hard is he does difficult sweeps (like Yngwie Malmsteen) and then does strange scales/long streches directly after. Ouches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Wouldn't call myself a jazz musician but I love jazz guitar. I can play a kinda jazzy version of Yesterday...damn sexy jazz chords...

• Advertisement

Saint Something good stuff, love the Joe Pass and Ella stuff!

So Glad check out Nicolas Slonimsky's Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns, that'll sort you out for scales etc...(FOREVER Mooooooooooahahah)
    It was famously used by John Coltrane in his later free stuff, the "Sheets of sound" stage you think Allan Holdsworth is a bit mad, check out some free Coltrane stuff and try play that on guitar, I did, and now im in a home they say they'll let me out soon....I don't believe them..... :rolleyes:

That's cool, there must be more Jazz musicians on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Bert Fever

Yep I play Jazz. I play a gig every Sunday in the 40 Foot in Dunlaoghaire. Standards etc...

Come over and check me out :)

Fusion251 wrote:
    So Glad check out Nicolas Slonimsky's Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns, that'll sort you out for scales etc...(FOREVER Mooooooooooahahah)
    It was famously used by John Coltrane in his later free stuff, the "Sheets of sound" stage you think Allan Holdsworth is a bit mad, check out some free Coltrane stuff and try play that on guitar, I did, and now im in a home they say they'll let me out soon....I don't believe them.....

Will do. Allthough...can it really get more wierder than Allan Holdsworth? :eek:

Bert Fever wrote:
    Yep I play Jazz. I play a gig every Sunday in the 40 Foot in Dunlaoghaire. Standards etc...

Hey, how did you get that gig? Is there room for any other bands?? What's the format there, do you get paid to play or is it just for exposure?

Bert Fever wrote:

I shall be there as it is but a stonesthrow from me!

Yeah, as was said...is there any room for a Jazz guitar trio?

I've had the gig for a few months now, can't remember how i got it? However i don't think they are looking for any more bands at present.

Thanks anyway! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

So Glad wrote:
    Will do. Allthough...can it really get more wierder than Allan Holdsworth? :eek:

Oh yes... yes it can!

Everything can get weirder depends the way you look at it and what you're used to!

Bit of Ornette Coleman Free Jazz springs to mind....or on the other spectrum Gerald Barry...very, very weird! (But good!)

Check out Steve Coleman...

Site

• Advertisement

I've done 3 workshops with Steve Coleman, have most of his cd's too.

That's a great site though so other people should check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I've just got into Jazz Piano. So come back in about 7 years and i might be a jazz musician.

Advertisement