Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N3 now reopened: Crash in Dunshaughlin

Options
  • 13-12-2004 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/1213/rta01.html

Anyone else dreading heading home to Navan or anywhere past Dunshaughlin on the N3 tonight.

It was quite a surprise this morning on the way to work in Dublin to be diverted onto a road I'd never been on before but I made my way to the N2 and onto the M50.

I've just checked the AA roadwatch website and it says the road is still closed I'm thinking its going to be a complete nightmare trying to get home to Navan.

The picture of the accident looks pretty bad the drive is lucky to be still alive I know the building he crashed into I wonder what the business will do?

It also seems like a very unusual accident to happen considering the speed limit in the village is 30 miles an hour, I suppose this could be another reason why the M3 should go ahead as soon as possible as it would be a safer road.

I travel up and down to Dublin every day from Navan and I see accidents regularly especially this time of year during the summer and the brighter evenings I don't recall ever seeing one.

The N3 is a very dark road at night with lots of small bends which people take at speed also it does not really have any lighting except for a few small sections.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It's not the first time that an incident has happened on this stretch. There is a sweeping bend as you drive south into the village itself. Previous incidents have happened a little further back up the road. The spot where the truck came to rest is only 20-30 metres from the bus stop. The building is a solicitors office!

Let's be honest there is only a few factors that could possibly have caused this turn over in a 30 mph zone. I witnessed a truck turn over on Georges Quay and its a pretty scary sight. After assisting the rather shaken driver out of his cab all he wanted to do is get back in so he could get his mobile and call his boss! The spooky thing was that the edge of the truck ended just at the pavement and nobody could recall if anyone was in the cycle lane before the incident.

This type of incident hardly justifys the M3 but it does highlight the longstanding need for Dunshaughlin to be bypassed. Fortunately, regualr commuters on the N3 would probably know all the rat runs around Dunshaughlin following the major sewer works that restricted traffic on the main st. last year.

Advertisement