Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you remember this Glenroe-based song?

Options
  • 12-12-2004 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

It was sung by Miley in Glenroe (Mick Lally) and the lines went something like this:

I was walking one day in the very heart of christmas
    Bringing sheep from the hills to the quieter fields below
    ???
    And her hair shone red like the berries in the winter

???
    ...on the by-road to Glenroe.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

OMG! I vaguely remember that alright! God, it was terrible. The bit that sticks out is the "her hair shoooonnnee red.." part

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

The creator of Glenroe lives next door to my family home....i was talking to him a few months back about writer's royalties and he told me he still receives a royalty cheque of a couple of hundred euro every year from songs he wrote for Glenroe... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Amazing!

No one has the full lyrics, do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Sweet mother of Jaysus (or should I say "Well Holy God!" :D), I remember that as well. I even vaguely remember the video for it. Yes, believe it or not, they actually *did* make a video for it! Can you imagine Miley in his wellies singing it on-stage on "Top Of The Pops"? Scary thought, indeed.

If I recall, though, it did reasonably well in the charts here. Must have been all the old grannies and housewifes who had a secret fetish for a big, smelly, mad-haired Wickla (s.i.c.!) farmer who went out and bought it! :D

RuggieBear wrote:
    The creator of Glenroe lives next door to my family home.

That would be Wesley Burrows, wouldn't it? For some unknown reason, when I was reading that the old title sequence for "Glenroe" popped into my mind and the name of Wesley Burrows came to mind. Am I right?

• Advertisement

That would be Wesley Burrows, wouldn't it? For some unknown reason, when I was reading that the old title sequence for "Glenroe" popped into my mind and the name of Wesley Burrows came to mind. Am I right?

Yes, fair play!

Lets make this into a Glenroe reminiscence thread. For some inexplicable reason, it was my favourite TV show when I was about 9. I used to watch it religiously every Sunday after "Where in the World".
    Why? Why would a 9 yr old do that???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

> The Ballad of Biddy and Miley: "And her hair shone red like the valley
    > of the Rho-one, Her skin was white as the light upon the snow. How can
    > I forget the morning that I met her, Where the side of the hill meets
    > the by-road to Glenroe"
    In the sticky link of In the 1980's in this forum.. but that's all I could find!!! ;)

The Rhone? How sophisticated!

That should be released - RERELEASE! RERELEASE! RERELEASE!

simu wrote:
    I used to watch it religiously every Sunday after "Where in the World".

"Glenroe" was a regular feature in our house as well. I stopped watching it in the early '90's, though, when I was about 12 or 13, I reckon. Still though, does anybody remember the uproar there was later on about Miley and Fidelma's "roll in the hay"? God, those were the days, RTE's early attempts at sexing-up Glenroe!

And where in the world did "Where In The World" go to? In particular, Theresa Lowe? Last I heard, she went back to university to study to become a solicitor or a barrister or something. That was another regular show of a Sunday night in our house. Everytime I watch the film "The Van" I have to laugh at the bit where Larry and Bimbo are settling down to watch it. Larry: "Your one's a ride, isn't she?" :D And she was, and all!

Sunday nights in the Dunne household - Glenroe followed by Where In The World followed by London's Burning on UTV. Sunday night telly just isn't the same, is it? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Glenroe was terrible, the music in particular, it always reminded me that we had school the next day !!!!

used to think Mary McDermott was deadly for her age......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

I remeber learning the words to the theme tune in 4th class and then learning it on tin whistle.....eeek!!!

used to love glenroe...remember at the very beginning when Mary was hit. Everyone thought it was Dick and then we found out it was her husband who had hit her....

Oh the scandal!

S

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Actually remember seeing the episode where miley went into the studio to refcord the song as a gift to Biddy. then they released the single.

they were all snobs in that program,

Actually remember seeing the episode where miley went into the studio to refcord the song as a gift to Biddy. then they released the single.

Yeah, with their designer wellies and ferrari tractors... :confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

WTF ????? snobs ?????? yeah right !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Glenroe - The stuff dreams are made of.

Anyone remember Biddy and Miley turned their farm into an attraction in the show and it actually happened in real life too? God those RTE Head Execs are some entrepreneurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

yep.... :)

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Anyone remember Biddy and Miley turned their farm into an attraction in the show and it actually happened in real life too? God those RTE Head Execs are some entrepreneurs!

Glenroe Open Farum? Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Who needs you tube .... here it is

Deh deh deh do do do do do do do do do ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

I remember that on the show, one time Dinny comes home to find a bunch of tourists are inside his house taking pictures and he lost the rag with them.

Does anyone remember the episode when Biddy And Miley brought their kids to Celtworld (now there's another ATR thread in that)? It felt like an extended advertisment for the place, didn't do much good as that place was only open a couple of years before going bust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

darkdubh wrote: »
    I remember that on the show, one time Dinny comes home to find a bunch of tourists are inside his house taking pictures and he lost the rag with them.
    "it's like a shagging zoo in here!"

Advertisement