Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeats

Options
  • 12-12-2004 3:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hey there, im doing a term paper and im thinking about writing it on Yeats (unless if i can figure out how to do medieval irish literature, idk, i enjoy that medieval stuff -seems a bit too broad though. yea, any ideas on that would be cool as well)
    i havn't done much irish lit in my courses, and since i enjoyed the bits ive read i wanted to study it more. i figure Yeats would be a good idea since hes one of the greatest poets, but not really sure where to start since theres so much -just looking for a way to narrow my search. thought this would be a good place to go, so if anyone would like to make any suggestions, itd make me happy indeed.

thanks for ur time ~Beth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

oh best of luck I hated Yeats when I studied him for English degree. Yuck yuck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

hah, then maybe i should think more about changing my topic, eh?
    any other irish literature i should look into then? time periods to look into? ... all i know is that i want to study some irish lit.. but thats a bit too broad =P

oh yes, and thanks for the luck because im gonna need it!

well is it poetry.. prose what exactly.. and what time period .. surely there has to be some constraint on your project?

it has to be on an author of literary merit, and to make sure of all my options, i also asked my teacher if i could write about a certain time period or something along those lines -brought up the medieval Irish lit idea since the actual authors from the time period aren't really known. she thought that it could be done, but in the end hinted i should make it easier on myself and do an author so that i don't have to worry about such a broad field. i could try to narrow the search by looking at certain kinds of writing -poetry or songs or herioc stuff- idk, just thinking out loud =) neway, she suggested Yeats to me. i'll have to read a bunch of his poems, and then write about a min. three elements that are found consistently though his writing and how he brings them about through different literary devices.
    and thats my assignment -looks a bit more intimidating all written out like that =P hope that clears things up a bit anyway..

and again, thank you for ur time =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Get a book of Yeats' poetry from a library and read a few of his poems and see if they appeal to you.

If you're interested in medieval/early modern Irish lit., here's a page with lots of texts available free online: http://www.ucc.ie/celt/publishd.html.

You read study the works of one particular poet/writer, one text (maybe parts of Agallamh na Seanórach or Keating's History of Ireland?), a type of poetry (nature poetry, love poetry, ...) - there's a whole lot of stuff there.

What are you actually studying btw and at what level? Celtic Studies or comparative lit. or what?

• Advertisement

Well you could just do an essay on the themes within his poetry.. or his use of symbols.. The poems Sailing to Byzantium and The Second Coming are both rich in sources for this.. and I'm sure if you google you will come up with good information.. just remember to be apprehensive about quality when on the net..

after that.. I'm not sure!!

thank you both for ur help -thats a nice link, just had a glance and looks packed with information. even if i don't use it for my term paper, i'll be happy to read it on my own, idk, just really appealing stuff =)

im a senior in high school, its an advance placement course which is like taking a college course, theres a test at the end of the year to see if u meet college requirements and it may be used as credit and so on and so forth...

heres the link to describe the college board description of the course:
    http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/sub_englit.html?englit i hope thats clear on what im studying =)

(and yes, i see it says 16th -21st century, but in our class we have just finished up medieval studies, thats how i know i like that stuff.)

I have read some of yeats' stuff, i honestly don't care much about poetry, but at the same time, poetry is a nice part of the exam so maybe i should get into it anyway. Cork_girl, thanks ive seen those poems, i'll read into them a bit more, and since u say they're rich with themes maybe that would be a great place for me to start, guess i'll just keep on reading til something comes to me!

thank ya'll so very much =)~Beth

Advertisement