Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi-OT: I bought the Firefly boxed set today.

Options
  • 10-12-2004 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Firstly, I can't believe those bastards cancelled such a good show. :mad:

Secondly, watching it, you can see where Galactica got a lot of its inspiration for things like using realistic physics, guns with bullets, silence in space (well Galactica isn't silent, but its quiet enough :p ) and actor-centric performances. Some wicked black humor as well.

Thirdly, Babylon 5 was excellent, adult sci-fi. It had to fight tooth and nail to get to five seasons. Firefly was excellent, adult sci-fi. It got axed after half a seaon. Battlestar Galactica is excellent, adult sci-fi. Does this mean the series is doomed from the word go? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

'Firefly' at least is living on with a movie....
    Battlestar Galactica is excellent, adult sci-fi. Does this mean the series is doomed from the word go?

Well, the miniseries was already a great success for scifi last December, so there's every reason to be optimistic that people will tune in (at least initially) to the series in January.
    I think that the fact BSG is only 13 episodes per season might make it a more attractive show to fund. Remember, they canned 'Farscape' because it was so costly compared to their return in viewers...and that was 22 eps per season.
    In saying that, BSG is their most expensive series, although scifi aren't the sole funders.
    Hopefully the good ratings on Sky will make them willing to put money in for a second season (as long as they get first-run rights :p)

I'd like to think it's the sort of show that can succeed on cable. I'd be worried if it were on a major network (esp. FOX). Scifi is one of the most widely-available cable channels in America, and they put a lot of promotion in the miniseries, and this time, there's even more incentive for them to pull in viewers. And hey, if they have to use Stargate as a lead-in to get them, I don't care as long as people watch BSG, and get it into a second season. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I just have this horrible feeling it may just be too damn good to get a 2nd series - if you get what I mean....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I reckon Sky are pretty powerful backers, and currently desperate for good cult entertainment. As for in the US, well it might be too good for those hicks, but so was Farscape and it managed for 4 seasons. And Farscape didn't have Sky backing over here, which made it even costlier than it already was for Sci-Fi to produce.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

The other end of the spectrum to firefly could be equally bad for BSG. If it becomes very popular and they produce season after season (3 seasons might even be too much) they'll run out of good ideas that remain in continuity. They should just get their story told and quit, japanese style. None of this BSG on earth crap or just episode upon episode of "ooh, there's actually 14 models and 5 of the models have mysteriously changed appearance" and then "wow, a 15th cylon with psychic blasting powers".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I've a feeling that the whole thing with infiltrators will end with the season, as they can't go on with this sort of thing forever-you're quite right about that.

Season two promises more interesting things, if it gets green-lighted...
    Aliens

Read the spoiler at your own risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

It looks so small and tempting. Maybe just a quick peek. Surely something that short couldn't do too much harm.

[edit] NOOOOOOO! Why am I so weak! I've already managed to forget spoilers to KOTOR, Peacekeeper Wars and even one from BSG through intense mental exercise, but that one's gonna be tough to shift. *curses weakness and slinks off into the night*[/edit]

That sounds pretty cool though

Advertisement