Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 years of solitude

Options
  • 10-12-2004 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

I'm half way through this and really loving it. Anyone else read it. Curious book though, all the characters seem to find themselves moved around by the writer as if little action figures, with no life or personality of their own outside the plot stream, which is to say they don't seem like people, just pawns. And yet the book is totally class. Funny that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

He's going for that fairy tale vibe. Yes, it's a cool book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

simu wrote:
    He's going for that fairy tale vibe.

In some ways - don't forget that Garcia Marquez is one of the better known magic realists. Not really a fairy-tale, rather a setting that is subtly different to reality.

Great novel, though I haven't read it in an awfully long time. Must dig it up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I know but i heard that a lot of writers feel trapped by critics in a magic realist straight-jacket so I decided to avoid the term.

Advertisement