Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Artists?

Options
  • 09-12-2004 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

hi,i'm usually a kinda The Strokes/Muse kinda guy but recently im gettin into different types of music more and more an after just gettin the balck album im lovin every second of it,any recommendations of good rap/hip-hop artists or albums,i also love the beasrie boys and some dead prez stuff but apart from that i dont know whos good and whos not an any recommendations would be good..
    cheers
    James

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Maybe check out some Boo-Yaa Tribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

If you love the black album get more Jay-Z albums, he has even better ones. Life and times volume 2, Blueprint(not blueprint 2) and Reasonable Doubt are all very good. You should also check out Notorious BIG - Life After Death, Dr. Dre - 2001, Nas - Illmatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

You might like something a little less commercial. Maybe Mos Def or Jurassic 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

If you like the black album you shoud defo get blueprint 1. Try biggie life after death and 2pac greatest hits album they will probably give you a good all round taste of rap.

Oh if you really like the black album you should try the grey album its pretty cool, beetles music jay z raps works really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

J5, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Gangstarr, MC Abdominal, The Roots, Roots Manuva, Del the Funky Homosapien, Blackalicious, Tribe Called Quest....all decent places to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Kristok wrote:
    If you like the black album you shoud defo get blueprint 1. Try biggie life after death and 2pac greatest hits album they will probably give you a good all round taste of rap.

Best post on this board.
    + rep if it still existed.

Actually Blackalicious are probably a great one for you to try.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

arrested development, btk, Insane clown posse *:p*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

The Black Album was terrible.

Mf Doom, Mf Doom, and some Mf Doom with some toppings of Mf Doom.
    you probably won't bother, but seriously, go to tower records and look for Mf Doom...by far the most original and best emcee out at the moment...

I thought the black album was pretty good. Not his best but still reasonably good.

• Advertisement

I just don't see someone who says they like The Strokes/Muse/BB/Dead Prez having time for Jay-Z.

No offence to anyone that's suggested it it's just this shouldn't be another "name your fav. artist" thread it should be a recommendation.

Bri wrote:
    I just don't see someone who says they like The Strokes/Muse/BB/Dead Prez having time for Jay-Z.

No offence to anyone that's suggested it it's just this shouldn't be another "name your fav. artist" thread it should be a recommendation.

He said in his post he bought the black album and loved it. If he loved that he might love the better jay-z albums too. I didn't name those artists because their my favourite.

Fair enough I didn't actually notice he had.

Maybe he meant Metallica's Album?! :D

Bri wrote:
    Fair enough I didn't actually notice he had.

Maybe he meant Metallica's Album?! :D

Lol maybe but I doubt it! Altough he should definitely get that if he doesn't already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭jjmax

J5 - Power in Numbers(best hip-hop group's most accessible album)

The Pharcyde - Bizarre ride to the Pharcyde(Still listen to it all the time)

Ice Cube - The Predator (introduced so many people to hip-hop with this one)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Nas, J5, Gandstarr, De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Talib Kewli, Lexicon, Swollen Members.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Klimseven wrote:
    The Black Album was terrible.

Mf Doom, Mf Doom, and some Mf Doom with some toppings of Mf Doom.
    you probably won't bother, but seriously, go to tower records and look for Mf Doom...by far the most original and best emcee out at the moment...
    AMEN, get Victor Vaughan Vaudiville Villan by MFDoom. Its class.Very Original. If you like that, try Ugly Duckling-Journey to Anywhere, or Immortal Technique-Revolutions Vol. 2. All cool, non-commercial hip hop

also, get Operation Doomsday, my favourite hip-hop album ever, by Mf Doom. Try Mm Food and VV:2 aswell while you're at it...

And Madvillain - Madvillainy and Madvillain - MF Doom and Madlib are Madvillain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pancakeman

james_d_23 wrote:
    hi,i'm usually a kinda The Strokes/Muse kinda guy but recently im gettin into different types of music more and more an after just gettin the balck album im lovin every second of it,any recommendations of good rap/hip-hop artists or albums,i also love the beasrie boys and some dead prez stuff but apart from that i dont know whos good and whos not an any recommendations would be good..
    cheers
    James

Sorry to tell you this but there are none.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭klap trap

Klimseven wrote:
    also, get Operation Doomsday, my favourite hip-hop album ever, by Mf Doom. Try Mm Food and VV:2 aswell while you're at it...

i really don't like operation doomsday but maybe that's just me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

pancakeman wrote:
    Sorry to tell you this but there are none.

Best. Post. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭klap trap

ubu wrote:
    Best. Post. Ever.

Worst. Post. Ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Well... agree with the Mos Def, Talib Kweli and Jurassic 5 recommendations. Really, just steer clear of anything from the Murder Inc. label and you should be ok.

If you wish to further enlighten yourself as to the wonders of R'n'B may I suggest the "Aaliyah" album by, obviously, Aaliyah. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

ubu wrote:
    Best. Post. Ever.

Tend to agree, generally the Hip Hop R 'n B standard is sh*t. With the exception of The Beastie Boys and Public Enemy,with some Ice Cube /NWA thrown in, there aint much worth buying.
    As for R 'n B, thats supposed to be Rhythm and Blues not the sh*t that they say is R 'n B !!!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

if you dont like hip hop as it is then there are loads of other music forums on boards post there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭thafitz

whatever you do dont start buying the stuff thats in the charts. youll get real sick real soon of spas talkin bout all the money they have, their cars, etc. if you wanna listen to proper hip-hop id recommend: jurassic 5, the roots, arrested development, a tribe called quest, run dmc.....

BolBill wrote:
    Tend to agree, generally the Hip Hop R 'n B standard is sh*t. With the exception of The Beastie Boys and Public Enemy,with some Ice Cube /NWA thrown in, there aint much worth buying.
    As for R 'n B, thats supposed to be Rhythm and Blues not the sh*t that they say is R 'n B !!!!!! :)

Actually there is a lot worth buying, chances are you wont find it in any shops in Ireland though.

Agree 100% on the R'n'B comment.

Tend to agree, generally the Hip Hop R 'n B standard is sh*t. With the exception of The Beastie Boys and Public Enemy,with some Ice Cube /NWA thrown in, there aint much worth buying
    Mf Doom, Gangstarr, Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, Immortal Technique, Non Phixion, Cannibal Ox, Aesop Rock, Jedi Mind Tricks, Jurrassic Five, Peanut Butter Wolf, The Roots, Run DMC, Mr Lif, The Pharcyde, Del tha Funky Homasapien, Hieroglyphics, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Black Sheep, De la Soul, BDP, KRS-ONE, Jeru the Damaja, J-Live, Organized Confuzion, Pete Rock, Eric B and Rakim, Common, Gza, EPMD, Slick Rick, Masta Ace, Biz Markie, Souls of Mischief, Ultramagnetic MCs, Common, Kool Keith....

ever listened to any of them?

Thought not...you idiot...

• Advertisement

Blackalicous, Laytrx, Atmosphere, Buck 65, clOUDDEAD, Ugly Duckling, Anti-Pop Consortium, Aim, Big L, Cage, Smut Peddlars, Swollen Memebrs, El-P, DJ Shadow, DJ Krush, Dead Prez, MC Solaar, Saian Supa Crew, Rass Kass, Murs, Jean Grae, Sage Francis, Saul Williams, Sole, RJD2, Pharaohe Monch, Roots Manuva, Prefuse 73, Dilated Peoples, Company Flow, Inspectah Deck, Masta Killa, DJ Q-Bert, Beat Junkies, Beastie Boys, Biggie, Afu-Ra...

Advertisement