Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky TV

Options
  • 07-12-2004 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Is anybody else getting the start and end of letters cut off on sky tv wheather on satelite or cable??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Change the display ratios see if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

I've tried, but no diff. Also it's the same on another tv set. Very odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

RGB settings on some digiboxes can cause the image to shift slightly to the left, but only by a very small amount.

Is it possible your digibox is in 16:9 but the TV is in 4:3?

Shouldn't be happening on another set, though, unless it's a similar model with the same setting.

Is there any setting on your TV for centering the picture which could have been tampered with?

It's certainly not Sky's broadcast. You should also see if RTE via cable or satellite shows the same symptoms as the terrestrial broadcast to rule out any incorrect setting on the cable/satellite box.

Not settings, as one tv is an orion the other is a phillips, and not even in the same house, mine has digital and hers has cable, mine is sky hers is ntl. Its's specific to programe titles that are long are cast list / intros that are offset, is Stargate and Atalantis (only watching these to check the problem.......) I thought it might be a prob with sky broadcasting some kind of pan'n'scan.

A well such is life when you pay top dollar for a crudy service,

Ombudsman, don't even mention ombudsman, and me with a pain all down the leftside.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

same thing is happening to me the rest of the chanells are ok but sky goes weird now and again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 A O Malley

Did you change the aspect ratio to 16:9 in the sky digital box’s service menu or did you just change your TV’s aspect ratio, changing the TV’s will not fix the problem. As for cable I think they only broadcast in 4:3 so you will loose part of the picture I use to get that problem when I had chorus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Yeh Sky are broadcasting everything in widescreen for some reason.

Anything on Sky One like Stargate or... well I can't think of anything else good they do... have the edges cut off on my screen. And mines a cr@p little tv so I can't change these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 A O Malley

If you have sky digital you can set it 4:3 letterbox and you will get the full picture, it will have black bars on the top and bottom like dvd’s but you will not loose any picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

lol same again Steve i watched Sg1 with the edge cut off even tho i do have a ride screan i change the dispay and it dosent help with SG1 wuite strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

heh heh heh... ride screen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think it's an NTL thing rather than Sky themselves as when I watch Sky One on the digibox (through my Philips Widescreen set) it's ok , but if I switch to NTL's version - same ratio settings - it's cut at the sides...

Think it's up to NTL to fix it at their end so...

Was talking to a mate who has the same problem, he reckons its sky broadcasting in widescreen but with pan'n'scan. Have changed the aspect ratio on the sky box and will see if it makes a diff, cheers for all the advice, cheques in the post :)

Advertisement