Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

red dwarf

Options
  • 07-12-2004 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭

anyone else watch it? i think its one of the funniest programs on telly. the writing is just top notch!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yeah its excellent!!! its always good for a few good quotes!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Not only watch it, but at one time I used to have all the scripts on my PC at home and would read them for a giggle from time to time... Have to see if I can find them again...

"As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless, uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe.
    Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Rimmer: Step up to red alert.
    Kryten: Sir, are you sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

" Time is a great healer. Unless it's a rash, then you're better off with ointment. "
    - Holly, Back in the Red

"Kryten, unpack Rachel and get out the puncture repair kit. I'm alive! "
    - Rimmer, Timeslides

Cat: "Forget red - let's go all the way up to brown alert!"
    Kryten: "There's no such thing as a brown alert sir."
    Cat: "You won't be saying that in a minute!"
    - Cat and Kryten, Back in the Red Pt 1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

im waiting for all the series on dvd to be available in 1 box set. then ill buy it.....

stupid me i bought the sex int he city box set for €149.99...
    and now im looking at the friends 10 series box set for €320.00...
    not sure tho...
    but i really want the red dwarf series..
    my fav episode was back to reality and more or less all episodes with ace rimmer. :D

wtf did you buy sex in the city for!!!??? :confused:

im waiting for all the series on dvd to be available in 1 box set. then ill buy it.....
    there was a release of series 1-4 as a box set [no extras]. its called red dwarf - just the shows, vol1.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

I can`t remember which episode it was in or who said it! But i was about rimmer; he`s so stuck-up he uses 3 squares of toilet paper to clean his arse with....1 up.......1 down.....and 1 for a polish. I was left in tears :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Best show ever (along with Zim)! Just got series 5 on dvd the other day..

The American pilot featurette is really good...

Apparently Daphne from Frasier was Holly!

The new Cat in the third version they made was Terry Farrell (from Becker and Deep Space 9)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

There showing it alot on Living channel 111 on sky at the moment, great programme

The DVDs are actually brilliantly well made... full of features and the like and the commentaries are actually interesting...

Can't wait to have the full set and have my side profile logo complete :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 medZer

Didnt i hear eages ago that they were making a movie of REdDwarf? different cast etc etc...

and a comment, the middle katchanski, not the original, i swear i fell in love with her...

what does that say about my choice in women? :rolleyes: :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I have two episodes of the American version on my PC here... :D

There was three American pilots made afaik and that was it... do the two episodes you have have different actors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

no, same actors. I actually thought there was only two pilots shot... Daphne is indeed Holly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Red Dwarf is excellent - best comedy sci-fi I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

The final series had its moments but some eps were pretty poor to be honest, not a patch on the old ones like Marooned and Backwards. When a sitcom experiments with claymation, then you know the jig is up.

SteveD wrote:
    Can't wait to have the full set and have my side profile logo complete smile.gif
    lol, me too:D thay really are fantastic dvd's though. they cover everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

I used to lovewatching it on RTE, but ive been out of the loop for a while so I have a few questions;
    (this is the 1st time I heard of an american version) why did it have to have a different cast?
    I saw an episode where they were in one of the small green shuttles and they mentioned red dwarf had been lost, what happened to it?
    Did the robot wars guy (cant remember his name) have babies (I saw when he got pregnant)?
    How did Kroyton change from being a rebel (in his 1st episode), to being mild mannered again?

sorry about the bad grammer, but this keyboard is f##ked.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the american one was a pilot version, and.. well the same reason they had different casts for the american men behaving badly, or fawlty towers or (soon?) father ted... they sucked.

lister or kryten couldn't remember what little blue green planetoidy they had left red dwarf parked around at the start of one of the seasons (they all look the same, blue green and planetoidy).. so they spent a season or two trying to find it iirc.
    it ended up that RD was in listers sock basket, having been shrunk to a very minute size by nanites..this was the end of season 7 I think

lister had the babies I think.. in the alternate universe.. where lister was and rimmer both met female versions of themselves. But because they were in an "alternate" universe.. our listy got pregnant.

umm.. iirc at the end of the first season (or ep) with kryten in it.. he tears off into space on daves old motorcycle or something.. And at the start of the next season the text that moves up the screen tells us that he crashed the bike and dave rebuilt him...

I think..

wasnt the planet they lost red dwarf on the one with the despair squid? end of s5?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

Lister: Whats happened
    Kryten: Listen, can you hear anything?
    Lister: No
    Kryten: Precisely, you can’t hear anything, and do you know why you can’t hear anything?
    Rimmer: No, why?
    Kryten: Because there are no sounds to hear....
    Rimmer: Kryten, isn't it this time of year you get your head screws tightened!!

ROFL .. that scene had me cracking up for ages! from series 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

well the same reason they had different casts for the american men behaving badly, or fawlty towers or (soon?) father ted... they sucked.
    there was american versions of men behaving badly and fawlty towers?

yeahl haven't seen them myself but I have it on good authority they completely sucked.
    Took everything that made the original good, threw them out the window.. added some american accents and started filming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The early series were a bit ropey, it was great for a couple of series (3 and 4) then it went into gradual decline until series 7 when the introduction of Kochanski was a disaster and I stopped watching.

Mike.

you're wrong, and you're a grotesquely ugly freak! :)

The Star Warsy text at the start of Series 3 explains a lot of your queries Unpossible

Kryten crashed the bike Lister gave him into a plantoid and when Red Dwarf found him Lister re constructed him but couldn't restore his original programming. It's just cos David Ross wasn't playing him again. He did return as Talkie Toaster though...

Lister had the babies through C-Section but they grew really quickly and returned to the female dimension.
    Lister returns
    them to the universe of their origin, where they are reunited with their
    father (a woman), and are able to lead comparatively normal lives. Well,
    as normal as you can be if you've been born in a parallel universe and
    your father's a woman and your mother's a man and you're eighteen years
    old three days after your birth.
    In case you were wondering Holly became a woman cos he saw the Hattie Hayridge version in the female reality.

They left Red Dwarf somewhere and what Mordeth said happened.

SMAK: You seen the backwards Backwards on the series 3 DVD?
    The bit where the guy bursts in and gives out about the fight is brilliant
    "I'm not talking to you I may be pointing at you but I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to the only person sad enough to listen to this backwards"

hahahaha, cool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Series 4 and 5 currently winging their way to me as I type :D

Watched this from the very first airing on BBC2 way back when; Stasis leak is still my favourite...
    Rimmer's head: I found a stasis leak on floor sixteen. I'm dead now, and you're not, but if I save you, you won't die, so I won't die, and you won't be dead either, and neither will I.
    Rimmer of the past: I may as well tell you right away, I know what you are.
    Rimmer: You do?
    Rimmer of the past: You're a mushroom, aren't you?
    Rimmer: What?
    Rimmer of the past: A hallucination. Go away.
    Rimmer: No, look. I'm you from the future. I've come to warn you, in three million years you'll be dead.
    Rimmer of the past: Will I really?
    Rimmer: Yes. unless you do something about it now.
    Rimmer of the past: Well, what do you suggest, give up white bread? More roughage?
    The beauty of that scene was that when I first watched it I had little to no idea what a magic mushroom was., but it was still funny as hell...

Advertisement