Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an evening job at a ski resort

Options
  • 06-12-2004 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is the best forum for this, but somebody here may have alrady done this so here goes..

I have recently started snowboarding and I want to go work for a full season (~6 months) at a resort in an evening job, possibly a barman, the reason being that I can board all day, every day, and work nights to cover my costs.

Anybody have any tips on arranging a season job at a resort? I guess the EU would be the easiest, but America, New Zealand would also be good.

I know a lot of resorts hire people on a seasonal basis for various jobs on the slope, but I am not really interested in a day job

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I’m working a season this year, if you want to get a good job the only way to do is to arrive early and just walk around the resort talking to everyone.

www.seasonworkers.com is a good resource.

Speaking English helps but if you have one or even two European languages it is a big bonus, I arrived in Livigno in mid November (which was actually too early) and just walked around the town with my Italian cover letter and CV until I found something I liked. I got a job in a bar where I’ll be working eight to two six nights a week so it should be very easy for me to snowboard everyday.

You could also consider getting a job with a travel agency like Panorama, their reps do get a fair amount of time on the slopes and they get paid well.

The problem with most decent jobs is, the employer won’t give you accommodation and depending where you are in can be very hard to find a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Thanks fnj, that seasonworkers site looks very promising. If November was too early then what is a European season, and how long does it last :confused: I was hoping for at least 6 months, but maybe I will have to go beyond Europe for that and follow the snow around the world.
    Unfortunately the closest thing I have to a second European language is basic German, but I guess I have a good incentive now to turn that into advanced German :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I'll be working in an Italian resort called Livigno and their season starts December 1st and runs until the end of April but the tourist traffic really doesn’t pick up until the second or third week in December so I don’t start working until the 20th. I think it is the same situation for a lot of the workers. I will probably only get four to five months worth of snowboarding done which to be honest should be enough for me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Here in Austria the real high season doesn't kick off until after christmas. I was in quite a big resort on sunday and a lot of the huts, restaurants and bars were not open. The season would be doing well to last until the end of April too. Last year I went away for a weekend at the end of march and the resort was pretty much empty and only the top of the mountains was really skiable. The rest was very wet snow or no snow. Your german would be pretty much useless with the locals too :)

Advertisement