Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westwood-icon or idiot?

Options
  • 05-12-2004 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Its the issue that divides rap

Is Tim Westwood a trailblazing legend,who was in the game from day zero and deserves credit?

Or is he an embarrasing self parody,an image that white rap fans could do without? A man in his mid to late 40s who talks like a teenage gang member from Brixton? A guy who plays too much bling sh1te. A guy who actually is Ali G.

Personally speaking,i think hes legend,and his radio show is even funnier than Chris Moyles. I split my sides every time he gives a shout out to "all my boys on lockdown across the UK" "to all my juves in Feltham Young Offenders Institute,i wanna big up all my YO`s on lockdown". "The club was ringin off somethin crazy the otha night,i wanna give a big shoutout to all my juves who were drunk up in the spot with the fake IDs,nahmean? We respect that(drop bomb)"
    Its an aquired taste,but its worth it for the comedy,as well as wondering what a new young black artist from inner city america sittin in the studio being interviewed is thinking as he watches a white man older than his dad wigg it up.
    Second only to his shoutouts for young offenders and underage drinkers is his war with the radio one dance DJs,as well as house music in general :D "Pete Tong,fall back dawg!"
    "Im here at (whatever nightclub)in Sheffield. I love this spot dog. This club was built on house music-y`know house is dead when they gotta get westwood in to tear it down once a week. HOLLA!"

He also made similiar proclaimations as the saviour of club cultrue at Homelands. The man is LEGEND,despite the fact he has a hard on for Dipset for some reason. HOLLA AT YA BUTLER

By the way,I do undoubtedly the worlds best Westwood impression. All you haters can bow down and kiss the ring,and I dont wear jewellery DOGG!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The man's a twat. Can't stand him, I wish he would just die.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

i second that,hes an idiot,hes white and he thinks he black
    GET OVER IT MATE
    plus pete tong rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Lol that was a funny post gopher. +rep for that. I like him for his comedic value too. You just can't take him seriously. He's ridiculous. I don't think he even takes himself seriously. To be fair to him he seems to be well respected by top rappers though. He gets good interviews and a lot of big names shout him out on his cds. I don't know why tbh but he does. They all seem to know him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i really wish the interview ali g did with him was shown on tv. the old master and his apprentice. it woulda been legendary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

The guy is a tool. His "remix" cd's are laughable... all he does is add an explosion at the beginning/end of each song. It's a joke. His choices are good, and he knows his stuff, but he's such a twat. I wish he'd just drop the ghetto talk and talk about rap intelligently, who is he tryna impress anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The tosser is going to say "******" one day and land himself in serious trouble. I was watching him interview Nas today on Channell U and I nearly fired the footstool through the telly. Nas had a permament grimace and glazed expression on his face throughout the "interview" (it was more random words being thrown in throughout "dogg" and "g"), although Nas was probably stoned so who knows?

The fact he "bigs up" all his "homies in lockdown" also irks me, why champion a shower of thugs who are responsible for poisoning working-class communities with drugs and ant-social behaviour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Yeah he's a muppet. Pity really cos he's in a great position - somehow. But alas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

FTA69 wrote:

The fact he "bigs up" all his "homies in lockdown" also irks me, why champion a shower of thugs who are responsible for poisoning working-class communities with drugs and ant-social behaviour?
    Umm...because that's what makes up so much of his national listenership? :p

Seriously, I like Westwood's show, I like the edge his stuff has (or possibly "had", in these days of MTV Base etc.) and I like the humour.
    Does he take himself seriously? Who the f**k cares? Like any DJ his music should precede his character; even on the radio. This is just one thread on this board about taking sh*t seriously; I think a lot of rap fans take their taste in music far too seriously.
    The fact that the man has been the target of a number of gun attacks probably means he's pissed some of those people off. The fact that he's the only son of a methodist bishop still makes me laugh every time.

Anyone name another brit who could replace him on his radio shows and hold "respect" with so many of the big name US guests his name brings to the show?
    Thought not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

i wouldn't go as far as saying that i wish he was dead, but his too overrated, and a bit of sap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Anyone name another brit who could replace him on his radio shows and hold "respect" with so many of the big name US guests his name brings to the show?
    Thought not...

Zane Lowe. He's not British but he does work for BBC Radio. At least he's not wigged out, although he tends to kiss alot of ass when interviewing people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

his "respect" probably has something to do with the fact that he presents the uk's only nationwide rap show! i was told before just why the amercians seem to love him so much when i was living in england... but i forget now. oh well! :D i quite liked the show sometimes
    anyway, wasn't he only shot one time? the drive-by after being at some event? i'd say he loved that!

http://www.daveyd.com/FullArticles%5CarticleN88.asp - The shooting.

And my favourite bit:
    In a statement via the BBC he said: "I thank God I'm alive and that everyone has survived. Everybody at the hospital has been great. I feel fine."
    Maybe he lost his lingo when he got scared!
    From: http://www.guardian.co.uk/gun/Story/0,2763,205967,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Makaveli wrote:
    Zane Lowe. He's not British but he does work for BBC Radio. At least he's not wigged out, although he tends to kiss alot of ass when interviewing people.
    Yeah not bad, but he's already got a spot. All my above statemnt was getting at was that he carrys a name with himself. Yanks prolly love him sheerly out of the idea most of them have of british people. Still and all he has a long history with some of the bigger older names in US hiphop; respect might be the wrong term for it but he certainly brings something.
    BBC as far as I can recall don't pay guests as opposed to MTV et ál, so the fact that big names are still willing to come in on a weekend night and f**k around in the studio with him has to say something. Sure BBC is as much an attraction for these guys but Westwood is face that the BBC presents to those guys- who can argue with the beeb's track record after all these years...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Yeah he's OTT but you gotta get past that and see the funny side of it. Otherwise you just want to "Pop one in ya radio!".

I love this idea of talking about rap intelligently....

"Yes, and now on to our next tune of the night. This little number is by that delightfully eloquent poet NAS. This tune was written in the summer of 2000 while spending his summer in the south of france. You can tell there's just a fruity hint of the spectacular summer he had in the opening verse and subsequent chorus. Please.....enjoy"

To speak intelligently about music that appeals to the masses due to the mood and content of the subject (when a lot of it is talking about underprivelidged people growing up with no money or education) or, the side of rap that's more pop and just talkin' bout da benjamins, is a bit rediculous. Unless of course the idea of the song (and this would mostly be a song to song basis) is meant to give an intelligent message. But they don't - not most of them anyway.

Even when people say "OMG that song so describes me - it's about me - it touched me!", it's still usually a rant by someone on their personal predicament. It's not meant to be a message to the world on how to live your life. It's about how people have it in their own. So it's going to be fair to accept that if a song is created with emotion, it is going to be received in the same way and not necessarily disected to get the deep hidden meaning of "ma bitch is a ho, mo money, mo...." *

I claim artistic license on that last quote, and don't expect it to be spoken about intelligently :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 da truth

great dj but a ****in prick

he thinks he's ghetto but he a wigga.

he reminds me of the guys on u're music on sky that always tell you how their area "runs tingz" in london. hes a wannabe gangsta.

westwood is a twat. c'mon how can anyone really believe his accent.

ps young buck is on fire right now. shorty wanna ride, a great song.
    petey pablo is cool too.

Erm I agree with most of your post up until the Young Buck comment.

But why slag off the guys from London not being real gangsters when :rolleyes: the 'buck himself is from Nashville Tenassssse, and even if he sold drugs, its not exactly compton now is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

"Yes, and now on to our next tune of the night. This little number is by that delightfully eloquent poet NAS. This tune was written in the summer of 2000 while spending his summer in the south of france. You can tell there's just a fruity hint of the spectacular summer he had in the opening verse and subsequent chorus. Please.....enjoy"

Lmao! Ok.. that was hilarious. Agreed, that would sound ridiculous. It wasn't quite what I was going for. I was thinking more along the lines of Trevor Nelson (without the ego) and Zane Lowe (without the asskissing).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Yeah :) I know what you mean. I do agree that listening to countless "BOMB" sounds and a guy going through a mid life crisis shouting his head off about nothing does get tiring after a while.

Ssssssssacktlay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The guy is a complete knob. I remember seeing him on the Jo Whiley show, the one that she used to have on Channel 4 where she had a couple of "muso's" in every week to talk about music (funnily enough!!).

And I'd never heard of him before and tbh at first I just thought it was someone taking the p1ss. When I copped he wasn't I was just cringing watching him. He was going on about how dangerous it is to live in da hood and the like and he got very defensive when she asked about his dad being a vicar. In a word, the guy's a Twat!!!

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stellarich_b

He claims it is dangerous to live in the hood but always forgets his old man is a vicar and the big dawg hates this being mentioned.

Id rather the guy was shot again and hopefully it may convice him that its not cool to be a white 50 year, talking like a wanna be 16 year old, pretending to be something he isnt.

His shows are a joke, he thinks they are funny, where as everyone laughs at him. Absolute proper nob, and dont even get me started on his Pimp My Ride show, the best bit (before it was canned) was when he smacked his head on a bonnet (although only shown in outtakes). I have also heard a rumour he likes to be called a batty boy!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭kanibus

Hes an arsehole!

I saw him on a Sway DVD and they were freestylin in Westwoods radio station and Westwood was goin ****in mental,bouncin around ****ing hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭mazroo

Sweet jesus... I detest Westwood... I admit he has good music taste but so do most people on this board.. He WRECKS some tracks on the compilations with his UNDASTAND THIS tripe... '' I was born in london'' with the game on one of his albums... The only thing I want to do is publicly flick him in the head... I wouldnt waste anymore time or energy on him. And what more degrading than a flick on the forehead... TIIIIM WEEESSSTWOOOOD. .. UGGGHHH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭j2u

Makaveli wrote:
    The man's a twat. Can't stand him, I wish he would just die.
    i ABSOLUTLY DESPISE THAT BASTARD.he has no talent.he does no remixes or anything so as a dj all he does is listen an upcoming 50 cent song or game etc, and press a play button on a radio show,so why cant anyone do that with no dj experiance whatsoever?he talks like he is some kind of american rapper hes not american not black,hes just a british talentless american wanabe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Its funny how much I hate him. IDIOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Resistance

His Dad is a vicar he comes from some small posh village in Suffolk yet he acts like he grew up in the getto. Idiot :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

He's a tool, pure and simple. 2 instances stand out where he got pwned:
    On some tv show about towns in Britain, he was DJ'ing for some club. The owner was interviewed, and started saying how crap a DJ Westwood was - ie. he'd play 20secs of one song, then switch to something completely different.
    All of that mixed with him shouting "All da bitchiz is gonna suck me knob at de end!" every five seconds.

The second being on MTV Cribs, twas the one in Kanye West's gaff in London. He got to his office, and was listening through the messages on his answering machine. Xzibit, Dogg and some others were there, but at the end was Westwood talking on about how he wanted Kanye on his radio show. Spouting, again every 5 seconds, "yo dogg"/"keepin' it real"/"droppin it off" and so on.
    At the end, he shouts "ONE!" and the message ends. Kanye just looks at the camera with a "Oh dear god, why would he be allowed to live?" look on his face.
    Priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

BaZmO* wrote:
    The guy is a complete knob. I remember seeing him on the Jo Whiley show, the one that she used to have on Channel 4 where she had a couple of "muso's" in every week to talk about music (funnily enough!!).

And I'd never heard of him before and tbh at first I just thought it was someone taking the p1ss. When I copped he wasn't I was just cringing watching him. He was going on about how dangerous it is to live in da hood and the like and he got very defensive when she asked about his dad being a vicar. In a word, the guy's a Twat!!!

B.

I was going to ask if anybody seen that. It was pure car crash TV. I could barely stand to watch it. Kelis was on it that night too and the looks she was giving Westwood when he was going on about the streets.

I hate Westwood, I repect he's been going for so long and back in the day his show gained a lot of "props" but he's a tool. The fact he represents the media's stereotype of "white boy" Hip Hop fans really irks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

cant ****ing stand the guy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

So the choice is between a wigger on MTV2 who spends most of his time attacking Hip-Hop while prasing pussy 'rock' bands who sound the same and twaddle out the same nonsensical lyrics OR a 40 year old white guy with a
    rubbish taste in music who actually does seem to think he is black?

Please get rid of both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I thought Zane Lowe was a big Hip Hop head?

Advertisement