Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Line

Options
  • 04-12-2004 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

So i have a habit when i read a book.
    Every time i skip to the last page and read the last line and only the last line. It has never given anything away for me that i know of! I am waiting for it to happen i guess. Then i will stop doing it.
    Usually i forget about it as i get into the book but it is one of my favourite things to do when i get a new book! Then when i do finish it and am reading the last line for real it makes a whole lot more sense!
    You guys do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I sometimes find myself flicking to the back of a new book but I usually tear myself away before I can read anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

oh i couldn't possibly, the last line is probably safe as houses, but what if it did give something away, or even if you misunderstand it to mean something it doesn't, it would taint every line you read in between, colour what characters say.

What can i say, I'm a puritan...

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Couldn't do that.Imagine if you read the last line of The Wasp Factory.Would have ruined everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Personally I've never suffered from needing to look at the alst page of the book. I've always preferred to read it from start to finish and enjoy the suspense or suprise if it happens :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd rarely go to last page of a novel, and then if I really, really know if the hero/villian survives another day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement