Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone see the Late Late 30,000 Euro quiz??? DISGRACE

Options
  • 04-12-2004 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭

I dont know who saw the quiz just now, but I am absolutely disgusted!

Pat Kenny rang a number.......lady answered.......then he asked her a question....

Question was.....What famous female cook was on the show earlier?

She hadnt a clue and said something like....Rachel Allen????

At this stage, Pat Kenny hung up on her right away and didn't give her a 2nd chance (which was fair enough - as the rules are the rules)

Then......Michael Palin, who was sitting beside him, said...."Who could forget Nigella Lawson?"

Pat Kenny went on to make a 2nd call, which he dialled incorrectly and got the wrong person. He then dialled the proper number and got through to the lady who sent in the answer to the postal quiz.....

As usual, he said, I have to ask you a question for you to win the 30,000 Euro prize.

He then.....UNBELIEVABLY asked her the very same question although Michael Palin had answered it and she got it correct!!!

Anybody else see this? Or what are your views on it????

I have already mailed RTE to tell them what I thought of this and if anybody else would like to do so, email latelate@rte.ie

:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

You should be thanking Palin for hastening the conclusion of tonights Late Late. Without his help Prat would probably still be phoning his gombeen viewership for a correct answer at 2am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Whats funny is...
    just as the quiz bit came on, herself was gonna change to another channel and I told her to leave it and we would watch it as it is always so "high cringe" its actually funny!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The idea of the question is to avoid it being a lottary by using some form of challange (and serves a secondary function by keeping entrants watching the show). TBH, it's just an excercise in ass covering and I doubt that RTE would be too worried about the answer being given away before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Pigman II wrote:
    You should be thanking Palin for hastening the conclusion of tonights Late Late. Without his help Prat would probably still be phoning his gombeen viewership for a correct answer at 2am.

That was excellent. He started getting a bit thick with his production crew when he couldn't get a line. The best was your wan saying that she fell asleep watching it. Priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Was half watching the show, except when Paul Williams was on, but missed the quiz. When I saw the name of your thread, without reading it, I thought that you were going to give out about the amount of money they were giving away!
    But am raging I missed that farce!! Good old cardboard Kenny!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Ah well......

Bring back GAY!!!

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Rattlor

wolfman wrote:
    I dont know who saw the quiz just now, but I am absolutely disgusted!

Pat Kenny rang a number.......lady answered.......then he asked her a question....

Question was.....What famous female cook was on the show earlier?

She hadnt a clue and said something like....Rachel Allen????

At this stage, Pat Kenny hung up on her right away and didn't give her a 2nd chance (which was fair enough - as the rules are the rules)

Then......Michael Palin, who was sitting beside him, said...."Who could forget Nigella Lawson?"

Pat Kenny went on to make a 2nd call, which he dialled incorrectly and got the wrong person. He then dialled the proper number and got through to the lady who sent in the answer to the postal quiz.....

As usual, he said, I have to ask you a question for you to win the 30,000 Euro prize.

He then.....UNBELIEVABLY asked her the very same question although Michael Palin had answered it and she got it correct!!!

Anybody else see this? Or what are your views on it????

I have already mailed RTE to tell them what I thought of this and if anybody else would like to do so, email latelate@rte.ie

:mad:
    What point are you trying to make?
    How did they give away the answer, when the lady who won would have had to have been watching to hear it anyway? Therefore, she would have seen the guest earlier on the show, and already know the answer.
    I can't see anything wrong there... stop jumping on the Pat Kenny "hate" bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

He just gets worse and worse , he is totally devoid of any personality. Also I aint a fan of Tabby o'Callaghan because I haven't seen the X-factor what so ever because I aint got ITV on Sky Digital, but prat's treatment of ould Tabby was a little bit ignorant.

Tabby gave the viewers his competiton hotline number to ring to vote for him and also gave out his Text vote number. Once Tabby had gave out the numbers prat read out the numbers again and kinda of implied no one quite got what tabby was sayin because of his Sligo accent, the look on Tabby's face was a look of disgust.

Also is it me or is Louis Walsh the biggest twat ever, he made some extremely cruel comments about Michelle McManus , and prat thought it was funny. In fairness the poor girl got no where and she may have a bit of weight problem but to make fun someone like that on national tv is insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Didn't the second woman who answered the phone say she had fallen asleep while watching the show. So it doesn't matter if Michael said it in the end. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

wolfman wrote:
    Ah well......

Bring back GAY!!!

:D:D:D

Woe Woe Woe there Wolfman, Kenny is a twat but at least he doesn't refer to himself as Uncle Gaybo and ask "Hows your mammy?" and then droll into an American accent thinking hes funny.

(You may have noticed that I fu*kin' hate Gay Byrne)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

wolfman wrote:
    herself was gonna change to another channel
    Best advice i can give is do this when ya see the owl/hear the theme.
    How anyone can watch this muck every week.
    If theres nothing else on turn off the tv!
    Rattlor wrote:
    stop jumping on the Pat Kenny "hate" bandwagon.
    Ya! the axles about to break!!
    "Keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times"

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

why do they need to ask a question at all? Sure don't you have to answer one to enter in the first place? Would this not cover the 'not a lottery' legal requirement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

LFCFan wrote:
    why do they need to ask a question at all? Sure don't you have to answer one to enter in the first place? Would this not cover the 'not a lottery' legal requirement?

I agree - to me, the question-to-enter has always fulfilled the legal requirement that the competition is not a lottery.

But this is always classic TV, as someone said, completely cringe-worthy. Bad start when you could hear the production guy shouting "LINE 1!" over at Pat from the background. He was very quick to dismiss the first lady who probably will never recover. I agree, it's bad form not to have a second question, considering Palin said it aloud. Even if he hadn't, it would be mildly unfair in that it would give caller #2 a chance to ensure they got it right.

But at least the questions now relate to the show - previously, he could ask something ridiculously obscure - many more failed then if they didn't have your eye on the current affairs/showbiz side of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Half-Bicycle

BolBill wrote:
    Woe Woe Woe there Wolfman, Kenny is a twat but at least he doesn't refer to himself as Uncle Gaybo and ask "Hows your mammy?" and then droll into an American accent thinking hes funny.

Mmm. Always found him to be condescending to women and the "young people"...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Mmm. Always found him to be condescending to women and the "young people"...
    I tend to use the phrase "whatever you young people are doing these days" quite a bit. Mind you I'll probably stop when I hit 30. Or 40 if people keep doing that incredulous "wtf, how old are you" look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

BolBill wrote:

Likewise. He's an arse. He poisined Montrose for long enough. Say what you want about Ryan Tubridy, but he's streets ahead of either of thse w*nkers. I refer you all to the Annie Murphy ( The woman who had a son for Bishop Casey) interview again. I would have loved to stitch him one after that, I swear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Gonzorex

Ah, Poor ould Kenny is not the worst - Gerry Ryan gets to keep the trophy on that competition . . .

He's a bit of a 'plank' alright I suppose, as Dunphy used to call him in the Sunday Indo! like when he does the toy show and he's like Kindergarten Cop/some mindless plywood droid/Michael Owen at a Xmas Party/a moving statue at Ballinspittle . . .

Its hard to follow Gay Byrne though in fairness. Of course he was a kn*bber half the time but he was a pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

In fairness to Plank at least (to paraphrase High Fidelity) he 'something you can ignore'.

On the other hand Uncle Gaylord and Tuberidy are pompous throwback twats who definetly brake the bulb on the old 'irritometer'.

Give Kenny a job for life if Retro-smarmbags are the only alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

the first one should of called a friend!!!.................................. oh wait wrong quiz sorry

Advertisement