Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU- is it any good?

Options
  • 01-12-2004 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

after seeing the thread on the UCD forum on their SU, I thought itd be a good idea to see what UL students think of their own.

[Im not in any way connected with any SU officer btw :D ]

one thing i have noticed is that eoin o broin seemed a lot more visible around campus (though that may have to do with his dreadlocks tbh)- ive only seen this years SU officers during orientation week (cos i was a guide)

the SU AGM didnt seem terribly well advertised....81 students out of 9000 attended.....why??

UL appears to me to be pretty apathetic when it comes to the SU

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I have no beef with the SU tbh but then again I don't take much interest in it either. :|

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

I thought ULSU are fairly ok.
    Havent been up to them much but talked to bout 4 or 5 of them and they were spot on.
    Had the advatage of knowing another SU in CIT and they were using it as a stepping stone on there CV except for a few genuines (the old Pres - Phil he was spot on)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

dunno really

theres nothing wrong with the SU, but then it dosent really do much (AFAIK)

meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

i think they are useless.the only su not to hand out condoms for free!!,plus their silly fighting in the usi,and coz they cant manage the su shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

They havent been in the USI for over 10 years
    Gave out free condoms last year- would the welfare officer not have a stash to give out?

• Advertisement

i thought they gave out free johnnies, anyway, there was a walking, talking condom goin around there last week

kaimera got 5 of em, which prolly means 5 posh ****!

pete...ya b*ll*cks! damn monkey eater.

it's a lie folks...

A few posh w*nks or what? Or just a ladies man

ladies man of course nukem :)

sorry about the b*llocks thing..

wait, how dare you post my real name on a public forum!!!

• Advertisement

what?
    surreee it is :rolleyes:

Frankly the students in UL dont seem to give a s**t about anything. I know cos i'm one of em.

Things like that 'anti-fees' march last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

I was at that anti-fees march last year - along with a shockingly low 90ish others (that's being generous). Both LIT and LSAD had more than we did, which is a bit ridiculous. I know student apathy is a problem everywhere but I think its more pronounced here than in most places. Last year's AGM - just after the SU announced it had overspent its budget by €80,000 attracted about 80 people (quorum is 200). An EGM was planned for the following week with instructions to all there to encourage their friends to go - about 90 turned up so it was adjourned for half an hour so that everyone could go into the Stables, Scholars, library, homes and anywhere else they could find people to come. All they wanted was for 200 people to be in the room for the first 10 minutes of the meeting so that they could pass some simple motions that couldn't be done unquorate. When we reconvened there were about 120 at best. I cannot understand that turnout in such circumstances. I even asked two people myself who just refused to even come for the first 10 minutes.

I think the SU is getting back on its feet now though - its staying within budget and seems to have proper financial controls in place. I don't know if that's down to the new kid Timmy or to work done by Eoin before leaving but either way its looking positive for the future. The SU shop has returned a profit too for the first time in ages.

I think Eoin O'Broin took a lot of flak that he didn't deserve. I thought he dealt with any issues he faced very effectively and was always a great speaker, coming across as a man of action. I think he became a scapegoat for larger problems.

I think An Focal got off to a shaky start but seems to be going well now. The Attachgate scandal was embarrassing but probably gave the CCO a well-needed kick up the arse. I'm not so sure she's fulfilling her commitments totally - the SU forum is poorly (if at all) advertised, An Focal seemed a bit thrown together for a while and I haven't been aware of any kind of protest, demonstration or campaign this year at all.

Overall I'm happy with the SU but its still got some work to do.

J*sus 80k (long whistle) Heard of people getting taxi's to class and charging it to the SU and thought it was just a joke but 80,000 thats an awful lot for the amount of people they have in the SU and the stuff they do. But i supose the little things add up.

I went on the march last year with the minstrel and we were both shocked at the admittedly crap turnout from UL...I think it was organised by LASU- is that still on the go???

The minstrel also dragged me to the AGM thingy last year- only twice in 10 years has it reached a quorum...we didnt go this year because (well this is my reason) it was very very badly advertised, I think i saw one notice for it, up after the event.

we can be sure that if stables/scholars was being threatened with imminent closure the whole college would be up in arms...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

The SU is good, but the Officers aren't a patch oin last years, Dave Garraghy and Sarah Ryan were brilliant Officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

SU attendance is a problem all the time in every campus. The bigger the college gets the smaller the turnout.

If the SU shut down all facilities for a week, maybe people would see the point of them but the better off, better educated students would probably manage fine, the SU is most of use to those people who are struggling academically or financially.

The fact that people who go to AGMs/EGMs want to push an agenda and when they don't get it call quorum counts etc. means your passing student definitely figures it's nowt to do with him.

Finally, the SU shouldn't be running a shop. Why? Coz about 10-12 years ago the shop was one of the things which put the SU in serious debt. How do I know? I was at the meeting which announced how deep in sh!t the SU was.

Subleasing to a Spar or something and getting a fee or a percentage of turnover is far better. It's codding yourself to think an SU shop (a) makes things cheaper or (b) makes money for the SU.

tbh i dont know how that shop would NOT make a profit, tis always jam packed

Busiest shop in ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

the SU shop made a profit this year as you would know had you been at the AGM.....hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm? and will continue to do so in the future. as with all new businesses, you must make a loss before you make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

the shop lost money due to a bad computer system and mismanagement. it is now making a profit and will expand in the future. a percentage of profits should help the union in the future. i do feel, however that prices are increasing a little too much in some respects. they are in line with spar shops which are a pure rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

i was involved very much in the SU and if thay cant make a huge profit from that shop someone needs to be shot. also the shop need to be twice the size as it is currently.

the opening times are crappy and prices are climbing and climbing.

the new deli has made problems worse with the poorly trained staff who seem to spend more time cleaning up and doing other things than actually surving customers.

IMHO the deli should not be part of the shop at all.

bad design first day.

and i dont like the randomness of lack of improper hygene practicates there

i.e. x walking through it to go to the stock room.
    the hanlying of hot and cold food together.

ok that knife used tuna last now you get some nice tuna in the next sandwisch(spelt wrong of course)

there seems a sence of urguncy about the deli even when i taint busy.

there are too many staff and they aint trained properly.

i know this as i ahve worked in real deli's and have gotten real training.

as for shop assitance. at peak times x, y, z could be wandering around the shop while the q grows and grows.

it has to be the worst hr managed shop that i have ever seen period and i dont care if i offend anyone.

also as its a real busy shop some of the shop assistances are not up to the high pace of the environment and would be more at home with there feet up watching the paper.

1 shop assistat is 3 times slower than others. thats a joke. she must have got the job cause she knows someone when she should be put out to pasture.

on a final note the SU / SU shop are run like a black market drug cartle with lack of training / space / management etc

most people dont go to the shop as it is just too busy so they are losing money.

for a business like that to make a loss. someone's head should have rolled.

it should have made a profit in the first year alone.

the account should be publicly made available but of course all this is behind closed doors.

it aint our shop as they try to make it be its their shop and it will always be their shop.

its a business to maxamise the profits just like stables and scholars and cambells ( who manage the rest and prices of 1.50 for a drink is dictated by the su (ha) , cambells and the college)

i cant wait to get out of this place.

overpriced por quaility food everywher on campus .

only place that was any good was the CSIS but the chef moved to cork and was replaced by a fish monger.

we are being completely screwed in UL for food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

I have never read so many condradictions in one single post. Sir, you are an idiot.

I won't list them as I think they're self-evident but if you want to hear them I'll post them then. The restaurant in D block serves cheap food. The cafeteria does good food, which is reasonably priced. The Scholars does good food, esp breakfast, and is priced as you'd expect. Its not particularly cheap but its certainly not expensive.

and dont forget the trendy restaurant in the library! (its usually full of stressed-out barbies if you need some eye-candy)

klong wrote:
    (its usually full of stressed-out barbies if you need some eye-candy)

Ah Klong once again you put everything in a good light

Nukem wrote:
    klong wrote:
    (its usually full of stressed-out barbies if you need some eye-candy)
    Ah Klomg opnce again you puit everything in a good light

chuckle chuckle :)

Since coming to dublin i've realised that the food isnt overpriced at all, tis actually pretty good value tbh. Nice stuff too it was.

Shop is usually packed, and a bit too expensive as well. Nice rolls though

/ends pointless contribution

Nukem wrote:
    Ah Klong opce again you put everything in a good light

:D

i was there on friday, alas, very few stressed-out barbies to be seen...

the 0820 enterprise from drogheda-> dublin, however, is another matter... :eek:

Advertisement