Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

There are certain similarities to be spotted if one is eagle-eyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Harry Beck should sue the lot of yis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

I see where you are coming from but there are a significant number of minor variations. Two people conducting this exercise are always likely to come up a similar map. The most telling aspect might be the scale and angles which do mostly look very similar but I can't tell for sure.

Some differences include the fonts, some angles & scales (look at airport spur angle), airport symbol, background map, "Portlaoise, Athlone, Kilkenny", Clonsilla interchange, Sandyford to Cherrywood, Station names on Kildare line, Heuston interchange symbol.

Do they look alike? Yes. Would I be miffed/flattered if I were you? Yes. Did IE use it as the basis for their own? Maybe. Do you have a serious case against IE? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

They do look similar but your map also looks similar to almost every railway network map I have seen (obviously different geography). There are, after all, not many ways to show the Dublin area with defined railway lines drawn. I would not worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Compare the last page of this presentation to the map I spent about 12 hours designing and drawing to send to my TDs a couple of months ago.

Interestingly, I never heard from anyone in Irish Rail regarding using a slightly modified version of my map with my copyright message stripped off it.

Why can't you just be privately flattered instead of coming on this board to whinge about it. We have more important things to discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It does appear to be a copy, corrected for the cards that Irish Rail have kept to their chest and not made public. A few pieces like the "wobble" that Andrew put in near Raheny and where he puts the bends in the Luas point to a blatent copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Metrobest wrote:
    Why can't you just be privately flattered instead of coming on this board to whinge about it. We have more important things to discuss.

Mr pot? There's a kettle over here, and he's calling you black.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

lol @ last post

So AD what are you planning to due now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

I'll write them a letter. I'd guess someone on Joe Meagher's staff will get a bollocking and that's it.
    I like the new one you did for platform 11, by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Do you have another map to compare and show a different interpretation of the network? Why where you sending this to your TD's.

Nice map BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Plagiarism (syn. copying, lifting, stealing, illegal use, breach of copyright, bootlegging) is despicable and disgusting and in plain terms it constitutes theft. Your original was excellent. I remember thinking so the first time I saw it. It was the clinching point for me in the metro vs interconnector argument and was 1000 more convincing than Platform11's endless blathering on the same topic. There have been other similar (but different) plots produced in the past, (see page 17 of this 2000 DTO document ) but this is a straight rip off of your work.

The main difference between your map and Iarnrod Eireann’s is that they included the IE masthead in their version, and you didn’t. And if you had they would quite possibly go after you for unauthorised use/reproduction of their logo.

You definitely should write to their Company Secretary looking for acknowledgement of efforts, a public apology, and a written apology/acknowledgment to be sent to all those who have seen the plagiarised version.

You could also be magnanimous and offer them continued unlimited royalty free use of your COPYRIGHTED work, in exchange for a life time pass on their services…….

I like the new one you did for platform 11, by the way.
    Must be something in the Duffy blood. :D

De Rebel wrote:
    Plagiarism (syn. copying, lifting, stealing, illegal use, breach of copyright, bootlegging) is despicable and disgusting and in plain terms it constitutes theft.
    I think copying is one thing, claiming a modetly altered copy as your own and removing the copyright mark unattirbuted is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

I agree victor. :D
    Its not really the copying, but the removing of the c2004 Andrew Duffy which is clearly in the coner which is the problem.

But in my opion at the end of the day, the most important bit is getting the map to become reality.

weehamster wrote:
    I greed victor.
    ????? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭P&L

It is indeed a blatant rip-off, I overlayed both in Photoshop and there is practically no difference, esp obvious with station name text, it lines up 100% font, size, position.

You have a right to be pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Q3000

Wasn’t to sure about the map being a rip off until I looked at the rest of the maps in the presentation my 2 year old could have done a better job with crayons :D

Nice work Andrew you should get the credit for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Q3000 wrote:
    Wasn’t to sure about the map being a rip off until I looked at the rest of the maps in the presentation my 2 year old could have done a better job with crayons :D

Nice work Andrew you should get the credit for it

Very true, on both points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Well both clearly show where the green line needs to be extended too! I would be more in favour for the airport link to come off the Maynooth line.

Advertisement