Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Cards

Options
  • 30-11-2004 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭

I have a tv card in this computer at the moment. I was just wondering, for the future when i eventually move out, will i need to get a tv license for this tv card? I wouldn't think so as, although it lets me access tv broadcasts and stuff... it's not actually a tv. Any ideas people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Achilles wrote:
    I have a tv card in this computer at the moment. I was just wondering, for the future when i eventually move out, will i need to get a tv license for this tv card? I wouldn't think so as, although it lets me access tv broadcasts and stuff... it's not actually a tv. Any ideas people?

as you are receiving a tv signal (picture) via your computer.

you'll need a license... (full stop) sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Poop... but what does the legislation say about it? Does it say tv set or tv receiver or something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/public_utilities/telecommunications/tv_licences.html
    If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence.

Thank you... what if i was only using it for video editing tho, would it still apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

No matter what you have it for, as long as you own equipment capable of recieving television signals, you have to pay the license fee, regardless of its intended purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

or equipment capable of receiving a television signal
    Thats worse than i thought. This would mean that if you were in a house, had no televisions but had an aerial or dish (maybe left up there from the previous owner), you could by the letter of the law be liable.
    So if you used satellite for data/internet only, you would still be liable for the TV tax....how bad is that.

Well erm... hrm a a satelite used for satelite broadband can be modified to received analogue satellite transmissions?

Yeah a sat card used for sat broadband can be very easily used for sat tv if the right software is installed....
    But if you were genuinely not using it for TV purposes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

That'll be the day RTE get money off me to watch their rubbish channels on a tv card

I agree completely skyuser - and can only imagine that they don't take it to the letter of the law. ie. if you have no TV's, they leave you alone regarless of whether theres an aerial/dish on the roof. I would imagine it would be bad PR to prosecute someone on the basis of just having an aerial or dish.

Anyone in this position have them call to the door?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Experience in college in england showed that a mate of mine using a tv card when they had the inspectors round - technically you do require a licence for it, although if you have an aerial/dish but no viewing equipment it could reasonably be argued that you do not possess a full set of equipment for viewing the broadcast.

My friend's solution was to keep an ear open for the checks, hide the rabbit ears when necessary and at times of exceptional paranoia disable/remove the tv card. Much easier than hiding a TV, in fairness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I had an inspector visit recently. I have no licence and watch tv on my pc. I said I had no tv only a pc and brought him up. I was in the middle of playing Half-Life 2 so it looked innocent enough. He didn't spot the video recorder. I'm not saying I got away with it. I'm just lazy. I think I'll look into getting a licence now and I'm pretty sure the inspectors count on that moreso than catching people. Just giving you a scare.

Hrm i think i'd prefer to chance my arm tho. I'm sure they'd expect you to pay the license fee tho if you were receiving cable tv... right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I bought a TV card in Aldi a while back. Had to fill out a form with name and address for licence purposes. Strangely enough I don't remember doing that the last time I bought a proper TV.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Achilles wrote:
    Hrm i think i'd prefer to chance my arm tho. I'm sure they'd expect you to pay the license fee tho if you were receiving cable tv... right?

You're already covered by being able to receive the broadcast, regardless of whether you make use of it. Aggravatingly, this means that someone like myself (who owns a tv for use exclusively with games systems and a DVD player, since theres a communal tv provided by my landlord) still has to pay for a TV licence if I move out. I'd rather miss out on RTE's programming than buy a licence and have crap like Big Bow Wow and crappy reality tv shows from *other countries*.

Advertisement