Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullet Holes from 1916 or War of Independence

Options
  • 30-11-2004 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

We all know of the bullet holes in Daniel O'Connell's Statue from the 1916 Rising, but does anyone know of any other parts of Dublin where there are similar markings from this era?

The College of Surgeons had the front walls mended from the shots fired from the Shelbourne Hotel, and the mends are clearly visible from the street.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You could try the Shelbourne Hotel, I'm sure the boys shot back. :D

On a more serious note, the GPO, Four Courts, Jacobs, Dublin Castle, Clanwilliam House, parts of Moore Street and Talbot Street the list goes on. Basically any of the strongholds in the uprising were shot to bits. Bring a pair of binoculars and have a look at any vantage point on those buildings that a sniper would have been at and your sure to find something of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Hagar - very amusing. I am still laughing.

Never did cross my mind to look at the Shelbourne.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Swarfboy

Another spot is the Tap Bar on North King Street...
    Can't remember if it was Pearse in there or wha but I do remember me Da saying that it was one of the most shot at...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

the railway bridge on the old wexford road in gorey co. wexford has bullets from the assisins Micheal Collins sent to kill Sir Henry Wilson the guy who named all the ring leaders of the rising and spat in Collins's face as the lined up after surrendering.

Thank you. I will have a look at both of these places. I am going down towards Wexford in few weeks and will leave plenty of time to stop at that bridge. I'll go into North King Street some Sundat afternoon.

Does anyone know if there is a register or book that documents the sites of ambushes throughout Ireland? I know that Tim Pat Coogan, Meda Ryan, Dan Breen, Tom Barry and many others mention ambushes in their books, but there must a complete list somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

There's a 1916 tour of Dublin that leaves (I think) from the International Bar on Wicklow St. I'm sure they could point out a few holes to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

along the GPO

dublin%20gpo%20bullet%20mark.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

a better pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 timamansio

Hagar wrote:
    You could try the Shelbourne Hotel, I'm sure the boys shot back. :D

On a more serious note, the GPO, Four Courts, Jacobs, Dublin Castle, Clanwilliam House, parts of Moore Street and Talbot Street the list goes on. Basically any of the strongholds in the uprising were shot to bits. Bring a pair of binoculars and have a look at any vantage point on those buildings that a sniper would have been at and your sure to find something of interest.

Whatever about the other buildings mentioned, I'm almost sure that the bullet holes found on the facade of the Four Courts were inflicted during the Civil War and not during either the Rising or the War of Independence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 QC

I've been told that the bullet holes on the O'Connell statue are not from 1916, but from the 1913 lockout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Oh yeah, you can see ones on the college of surgeons pretty clearly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Swarfboy wrote:
    Another spot is the Tap Bar on North King Street...
    Can't remember if it was Pearse in there or wha but I do remember me Da saying that it was one of the most shot at...
    afaik

kevin barry was captured just across the road from the tap in north king street
    following the attack on the convoy at a bakery just across the road

it is possible that bullet hole there are from that event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

cdebru wrote:
    afaik

kevin barry was captured just across the road from the tap in north king street
    following the attack on the convoy at a bakery just across the road

it is possible that bullet hole there are from that event

No.Wasnt that many shots fired then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

No.Wasnt that many shots fired then.
    I bow to your superior knowledge of exactly how many bullets were fired when kevin barry was captured
    and how many bullet marks are in the tap

QC - I never knew that shots were fired in the Lockout.

I know that Pearse placed snipers on the roof of the GPO who spent most of their time firing at snipers on the roof of one of the buildings along the quays (along the quay where The Harp is / was).

There must be a record somewhere that details the location of all ambush sites. Does anyone know of such a record?

Heard some chap on the Joe Duffy show talking about a 1916 walking tour he gives. Will do this tour in the New Year.

Dummy,where do ye go for the tour?

Happy New Year Poblachtach.

The guy on the Joe Duffy show gave the website address http://www.1916rising.com/

BTW, I don't know if you heard that show but they were trying to identify the person standing next to Pearse during the surrender. Beside Pearse's right foot is another foot (and no !! Not his left). Some people were saying that it was a Nurse O'Farrell, and a Mr. Findlater was saying that it was his grandfather.

Have a look at the photo at http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/ and tell me who or what you thing it is. I don't agree with any of the suggestions that were made during the show and I emailed the show but never heard anything back but I guess they get thousands of emails every week.

I'd be interested to hear what you think - especially if you are a techie.

Happy New Year to you.

Happy new year,bit late or what.But i cant see the photo.But i think i know what it is.Would it be a stupid sugestion to say it was a british soldier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I thought this was accepted to be Nurse O'Farrell.

I went back up onto the liveline website and am convinced that the person is neither a british soldier and not Nurse O'Farrell. Have another try at the website and see for yourselves. I think I mentioned that I emailed the show with the image enhanced but have never heard back.

• Advertisement

Have attached the enhanced image - what do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

To be honest it looks like a small person's feet and the bottom of a woman's dress.
    I work with a woman who is a great-grand-niece (or something) of Nurse O'Farrell - she was telling me someone contacted them recently about writing a book about her. Whoever that is might know for sure.

Newgrange - Yes you can see what I believe to be a ladies shoe (slightly raised heel) and you can also see what appears to be a dress.

Have a look at the image attached to my last post and see if you can see anything else. Anyone I have shown it to has spotted something immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

I can't see anything on the picture.

I am very interested in bullet holes on Dublin buildings though. Anymore definite sightings apart from the GPO and College of Surgeons?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Please do not revamp old threads. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement