Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Building from plans/kits

Options
  • 29-11-2004 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

So far I have only tackled ARF's, but I now want to move on to building kit planes and/or buil;ding from plans. Can anyone recommend a good book or guide to assist me, and/or a good plane/plan to begin with?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

There are a few ways to do this...

A Buy a TOP QUALITY kitand use the extensive CD, pics, instructions book and well made parts to make a beautiful scale model. eg Topflite, Rödelmodell
    or
    B Get an average to good quality kit + ALSO buy a copy of Dave Boddington's book Building & Flying RC Model Aircraft.... there is ten years of little tricks & suggestions inside that book. And I respectfully suggest all other books so far are a poor comparision in knowledge to this one. eg kits like Svenson, Sig
    or
    C Get a European made electric Speed 400 model, which contains good English instructions. The reason for S400 class is that the wings particularly have fewer parts, so the whole model builds faster, thus letting you onto the next small build while you would be still deciding how to begin the big glowfuel job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Billy Pilgrim

Thanks for the tip. Couldn't find hte book you mentioned but came across another by the same author; RC Flying Primer. Looks like a good general introduction, well illustrated with some very good tips. Fierce misogynistic though!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

It may be out of print now, but it is the best by a very wide margin of the model aircraft books I have seen

Call Patrick in Dublin on (01) 4928776
    From his pricelist:
    R/C Modelling Books.......Building & Flying Model Aircraft 26.95......
    I assume he still has a few.

Advertisement