Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diagnosing bad injectors (DV6C)

• 08-07-2024 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Apologies for the long post

The missus car is running a bit badly, smell of fuel in the car, presumably injector issues there's no sign of exhaust leak and copper washers were done this year along with leak off pipes from Ford . Car has 300k km on it on original injectors also, it's the DV6C engine which is known for injector trouble.

DTC codes P02D3 and P02D1 for injector offset learning at max limit for cylinder 3 and 4. Air filter is new and so is the fuel filter.

I tested injectors with the old school screwdriver on injector body, cylinder 2 and 3 sound good and rhythmic, cylinder 1 and 4 don't sound as good.

Plugged out all 4, 1 at a time with engine running. Not much change when unplugged cylinder 1 and 4 injector.

Massive change when I unplugged cylinder 2 and 3 injector.

Is this definitive that injectors in cylinders 1 and 4 need changing, she doesn't want to replace all 4 against my recommendation so just going to change ones that need to replace now.

Thinking of doing a leak off test next that would be more precise wouldn't it?

As an aside. I know the French diesels cylinder are numbered 1-4 with 1 being at the flywheel end. But on this particular Ford focus MK3 number 1 is at the timing belt end, unplugged the injector on that side and Forscan said injector cylinder 1 short circuit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Bump

If anyone has some experience or advice it'd be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mk7r

The best advice is to take all 4 out and send them for testing, none will pass at 300k but at least it's evidence to support your replace all 4 advice.

They are usually available cheaper X4 than individually too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Does sound like injectors alright. In Forscan, there should be PID's for injector correction factors. That number will be much higher on the problematic injectors. Probably best to pull all four out and get them bench tested

Might do that as I think getting them tested is cheap enough, thanks lads

Performed a leak off test today, don't really know what it tells they're either all fcuked or all okay. Pretty much exact same level.

Cyl 1: 30ml

Cyl 2: 30ml

Cyl 3: 35ml

Cyl 4: 35ml

This is how I did the test, car at operating temp, plugged in the plumbing for the leak off bottles, ran engine untill fuel started entering bottles, removed fuel inside bottles and reconnected, started engine again for exactly 3 minutes and this is how much they filled up.

• Advertisement

This is the cylinder balance on Forscan that's all I see?

Injector pilot learning also

Fuel rail pressure is a bit low at 22000 on idle, could this be due to injectors leaking back too much.

Is the car smokey through the exhaust, and / or producing lots of knock?

At this stage and given your previous fault description, I'd still be leaning towards faulty injectors. If the injector is going open or short, you could still end up with no significant leak off from that faulty injector. What you could do if you were minded is to swap a good and suspected injector. You will have to recode both, but if that fault moves with the injector, I would take it as proof that the injector is indeed suspect.

No not smokey at all. It does have an injector knock type sound when you lett the revs climb under load, doesn't knock in any other circumstance that I've tested.

Looked up some Peugeot forums and saw a post about 1.6hdi (same engine) stating Injector leak off max is 35ml in 3 mins

The Pug and Citroen applications of that engine use a different injector to the Fords. Fords (I think) largely use Delphi injectors, while the French use Siemens and continental. We swapped a blown DV6C in a Focus a few years back and the replacement engine came from a 308. We had to carry over the wiring loom and injectors from the old engine because the French setup was completely different to the Ford. The replacement engine worked perfectly

• Advertisement

Oh right, to my knowledge they don't. I know 100% the injectors in this Ford focus MK3 are Siemens/VDO.

Look like this

It's probably not conclusive seeing leak rates on a different car anyway there could be small differences in there like you said.

Couldn't go down the route of bench testing as she needs the car everyday (2 kids, I'm gone a lot working shift)

Advertisement