Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Kodiaq PHEV v ID Buzz

Options
  • 25-05-2024 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

With 3 growing kids I’m looking at getting something with a monstrous boot and access to our solar & EV plug at home. I’ve had my eye on the new Kodiaq for a while but by the looks of it, it could be well into 2024 before that model is on the road.

I’ll be going the PCP route so I’m considering an ID Buzz also as I love the small EV we have. There’s a ~10k difference between a new Buzz and a new Kodiaq

Any thoughts would be more than welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭MarkN

Kodiaq. You’ll sell it all day long when you’re done with it, at a good price. Buzz is fun and quirky but the new Kodiaq is good to drive too, DCC is excellent on it, loads of interior space and if you get the PHEV, you can still charge it from your solar setup.

Post edited by MarkN on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭joe1303l

In my eyes they’re not really comparable vehicles but I’d agree with Mark, the new Kodiaq is the sensible choice. I’m not completely convinced that the PHEV version is the sweet spot though. Majority of Kodiaq sales are diesel 7 seaters and this is unlikely to change in the short term. The PHEV doesn’t have 3rd row seats. Pricing on the new Kodiaq is also very questionable, it’s no longer the bargain it used to be.

An ID.Buzz is a really cool EV but as it’s shaped like a brick, efficiency and range are not ideal. If you can live with this and really want one there is good value to be got on used/demo models. Resale on a new ID.Buzz would be a concern.

Post edited by joe1303l on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I wouldn't touch a VW, have the ID3 coming to the end of the PCP.

The software issues are a complete pain in the arse, as well as pathetic service from the well known dealer in Portumna

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I wouldn’t want an ID.3 either but to suggest not touching any VW may not be relevant here. Plenty other VW dealers around that you could use for service work. I can’t ever see that particular dealership successfully transitioning to EV’s. They’re more comfortable with some form of a TDI with an aftermarket towbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭PaulRyan97

I'd be leaning towards the Kodiaq definitely. The ID.Buzz just isn't very efficient, it needs a larger pack and a more efficient motor setup to really become more useful.

An alternative for the same price as the Buzz may be the ID.7 Tourer, newer motor, better efficiency and a huge boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭space2ground1

The ID7 is a lovely car. It seems to have 605l of boot space but the Kodiaq has 800l ish.

I’ve 3 kids and we do a lot of camping so to be able to pack the boot up and throw on the roof box to cover us for a week away is a big deal.

I’ve a Hyundai Tucson now and we can just about manage the whole lot but as the kids get older they’re looking to bring more stuff around. Throwing bikes/tents/scooters etc in the boot is very handy.

95% of my driving is trips of 15km or less and I spend a good chunk of time doing the 5km drive to work (would love to cycle but the roads are lethal). The Buzz would be fuelled for the vast majority of time from the charger at home with solar on good days.

Sensible way to charge your EV is using night rate electricity and get paid to export your solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭freddieot

I'm running a Sorento PHEV and using our solar system to charge it. Larger car than what you are looking at and the spec is very high. Over 15km I'm averaging 6.1 so not too hard on the pocket to run.

The previous car was a Kodiaq diesel and that was also a great car. Thinking of changing next year and also was looking towards the Kodiaq PHEV but when the prices were published that ended that option, far too expensive.

Any time I look at VWs and start configuring I run out of patience at the options stage as the basic specs are a bit poverty compared to others in the similar market space now like Skoda, Kia Hyundai.

It’s the giant boot of the Kodiaq that has me set on it. I must have a look at the Sorrento and see if that’s an option. If the boot is bigger than the Kodiaq it might well be.

The sorento boot is much bigger.

• Advertisement

745 litres for the Kodiaq PHEV.
    616 litres for the Sorento from what I can gather.
    Happy to be proven wrong though so I make the right call!

Kodiaq range in electric mode should be considerably more than the KIA

In fairness I have not seen a new Kodiaq and the boot in the last diesel one was big but the sorento seems much bigger.

I have a lot of big items, including gun cases and gear and it disappears into the sorento although it was a tighter squeeze in the kodiaq. Maybe just go into a dealer and see which is best for your particular needs and in real world terns fir the gear you normally would carry. These litre measurements are fine if you only transport bags of tennis balls.

A factor is the electric range. I get more than 53 km on a charge and the kodiaq is I believe closer to 100. Not an issue for me and my routes but might be for others, but again the cost.. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Enyaq needs to be in the conversation OP. Granted its not as big as the Kodiaq but its not much smaller. I've 3 small kids myself, had 2 Kodiaqs in a row before going to an enyaq this year. Have not found it any less practical. Boot is a little smaller but we still comfortably fit our double buggy plus a load of other crap. We get 3 belted seats across the back. So happy with the Enyaq I bought a 3 year old one for myself (Wife drives the new one). If the Enyaq 60 suits your lifestyle, new prices are tempting. Much more favourable than the Kodiaq

The Enyak is really lovely. The reason I'm after a cavern of a boot is because we live a half hour from the Greenway in Waterford and to be able to chuck in gear bags, 3 bikes and whatever bits and pieces I leave there is ideal. We also do regular camping trips with a big family so being able to put a full 6man tent and a week's worth of gear in the car saves us thousands on Irish hotel extortion. I have an SUV already and it does the job but at a squeeze. Basically I'm going big to give us as much extra space as I can within the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Octavia or Superb PHEV estates maybe then for the camping and gear, although both are pretty difficult to come across, estates being rare enough in this country is one thing, but PHEV moreso.

Look at the Sorento and the specs and the 7 year warranty. I've had two bikes in the boot as well as a tent and camping gear. It's not just the size of the boot but also the shape. I really love the Enyak but the basic ones are a bit poverty spec compared to a Sorento. Skoda is just too expensive now for higher spec larger vehicles with all the goodies. Their options list is a killer.

Thing is, they don’t have more boot space than I have now. The bigger SUVs are the only real option for what I want to carry.

Looking at the Kia site here and the Sorento starts at €63k. That’d work out way out of my budget. We’ll probably go the PCP route. I’d be hoping to get the new Kodiaq for €7-8k cheaper than that.

Wrecking my own head researching all weekend 🤪 Quite a jump in cost from the Select to the Select +. It would seem from the build your car section of the Skoda website that if you want to upgrade the alloys from 18” to 19”, you have to have the Select + which is a few thousand dearer.

Surely when ordering a new car, they’ll allow you to upgrade the alloys only without having to upgrade fully to the next model?

So many extra costs for different things in packs or add ons. I love the idea of a panoramic roof but not sure I €1680 + Selection+ love it. Again, hoping I can just get the Select and add on the 19” alloys and pano roof. It’d be good bit extra on top of the Selection cost but at least I’m only buying the bits I really want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You can ask but I think that's the idea of packs, you buy more than you really want but they're packaged in a way that you think you're getting a good deal and go for it anyway.

I don't think you'll succeed but worth a try

Not possible, it’s add a pack or do without. Upgrade wheels could obviously bought and swapped after delivery but you then need to sell on the standard wheels & tyres. It could work out very expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres plenty of places around the country selling Skoda style wheels that you can purchase separately. Wouldn’t even end up costing you anything as you can sell the original wheels.

Be wary of some of these replica wheels currently on offer. Some are of dubious quality and are prone to cracking, mostly of Chinese origin. Reputable manufacturers will be to OEM standards and carry an E1 stamp on the rims to comply with ECE standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭User1998

Yes this is true. And they usually come with crappy Chinese tyres, but most places will let you pay extra for good tyres. I think even the lower quality alloys are fine as long as you aren’t running super low profile tyres. You could also just buy a set of genuine Skoda wheels off Donedeal.

This could end in tears! Getting trade in values for my own car around 5k less than I was hoping for. I may have to look at a plan B. Enyaq with a trailer for camping when needed?

Vetoed by the missis 😄 Just not something she'd like to do. Worried about people coming back if anything went wrong or worrying about the payments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭fits

that’s not a bad plan b. Tbh the camping gear accumulates and it’s a struggle to get it into any boot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,898 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I suspect used values might recover a bit in a year and new prices might fall further. So cost to change might narrow a bit in 12+months. Then again it might widen.

Advertisement