Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek›Discovery 5x09 'Lagrange Point' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 23-05-2024 6:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

Star Trek›Discovery 5x09 'Lagrange Point' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

Is it just me being a TNG fanboy or does Frakes really make everything a little bit better?

Still a lot of nonsense but this episode was comparatively decent. Good momentum, exciting in parts, characters used well enough and everyone seemed pretty competent for a change.

Wasn't expecting that thing to explode at the end, which didn't seem to surprise anyone on screen. Did I miss a line of dialogue? I thought they were planning to beam it onboard?

And the Breen looked interesting for a moment a few episodes ago but nah, just mindless, faceless, disposable nobodies.

And Burnham's hair suddenly appears flowing down her back just before she disappeared her helmet. God I hate that stupid magic/morphing/disappearing tech so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is it just me being a TNG fanboy or does Frakes really make everything a little bit better?

Haven't got a chance to watch this one yet, but yes the best episodes tend to be the Frakes directed ones imo.

Yep. I keep expecting him to let me down eventually to be honest, but he really has a way with the ensembles and maybe this material in particular.

I mean he's a fine director. Even his earliest stuff on TNG was standout. Always thought he was unlucky with that Thunderbirds film. Great that he's keeping busy with Trek though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Eh, I don't know if it's because it's nearly over or what, but I've had a very hard time engaging with any of this season. Commander Leoben is great, I really enjoy him ( and expecially enjoyedTilly being put in her place with her little pep talk to a more senior, more experienced officer), but the rest of it does almost nothing for me at this stage.

It was a bit better than previous episodes, but between the masks and the Breen interior décor I found the episode pretty visually confusing.

Perhaps a couple of years of good Trek have me spoiled!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thought Rhys was gonna die, now they've finally decided to give him more to do.

They need to get Owo and Detmer back for the finale at least.

Maybe it's because it wasn't Michael but I'm surprised they didn't show more people looking before he sat in the chair.

Maybe they wouldn't have lost the monument thing if they didn't spend so long admiring and talking about it and allow the Breen to come in and instantly take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭pah

Ugh, couple of good bits but really it's generally bland and uninspiring

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A Better episode than any of the others so far but still not perfect. I agree with the poster above. Some of the fight scenes were not great, the dialogue with the Breen misjointed and all over the place as well.

But I will also say it's a hunan thing to admire something new that we see for the first time and also they Discovery that is said they could not get a tractor beam on the monument.

Still when Discovery broke through the Breen ships shields they could have beemed it in then but maybe it's better that they didn't.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

it's a hunan thing to admire something new

True, but to be fair, it was a barrel! A fairly bog standard looking barrel. Yeah it turns out to have been a large barrel once we see it in person, but the initial view was fairly underwhelming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

@eadrom Is it just me being a TNG fanboy or does Frakes really make everything a little bit better?

I kind of perked up when I saw his name in the title sequence too and there were some interesting touches, like the interior view of our heroes in the Breen helmets, but that got ruined by the (brief) 3 side-by-side "lets go get 'em" shot.

I felt Disco flying into the Dreadnought's shuttle bay was a bit reminiscent of the Ent-D flying through the Death Sta … sorry Borg Cube!

I really wasn't convinced by the hand-to-hand combat sequences too. The Breen were being too easily beaten for such a warlike race.

Meh!

that got ruined by the (brief) 3 side-by-side "lets go get 'em" shot

Yeah, that was really jarring. I'm not sure if it was just cut way to quickly or that it doesn't really fit with the show, more of an anime style thing, but didn't like that one bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭corkie

Busy day yesterday and didn't get around to watching it until late.

Should have guessed it would pause on cliff hanger. Enjoyable episode.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Lagrange_Point_%28episode%29

I was a bit confused by the talking. Could the Breen not hear them when they were talking to each other directly in front of them? Like when Book was telling Michael to hurry up while he was flirting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭gipi

In true Burnham fashion, she decides to have her heart to heart with Book in the middle of a dangerous away mission? Give me a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes the Breen could not hear them when thet spoke to each other. How exactly that works I have no idea magic I suppose like everything else on Discovery.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yet she couldn't explain her escape plan clearly on their private Comms instead of speaking in code.

So how will emotions come into play to win the progenitor technology? Considering the test she had to get the last piece, I assume it's to do with the secret she knows about getting it.

The episode will probably consist of getting the tech, bringing Lok back, establishing peace between the Breen and the federation and ending with the Burnham appreciation event, aka Saru's wedding.

I've been wondering if whatever they got sucked into at the end of this episode will give them the opportunity to bring in some 'final episode' guest stars. Spock, Lorca, space Hitler maybe. But that might feel a little hollow (I mean, even more than usual) if they're just entities or thoughts taking on familiar forms.

If I were to guess, Book sacrifices himself in a big combination of tears and explosions and then when it's all over (as @Optimus Prime predicted in last week's thread) they'll use that little bit of tree Book picked up from the library to create a new planet or whatever. Then Saru will get married under it.

Hard to know though really. Just 1 relatively short episode to wrap up this wet mess of a season, and then wrap up the whole show! I'm not sorry to see the end of Discovery and hope (although I don't have much hope really) it will clear the way for something better, but I am sorry that they didn't have the opportunity to at least try to produce a proper final season. Because this really hasn't felt anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I was hoping they'd be sucked into the black hole and never be seen or heard from ever again. The End.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm guessing the same mind reading level tech the personal transporters use. But that's one of the issues with the jump to the future, the tech is effectively magic, which only serves to dumb down the story, removing nuance and detail, and potential suspense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I heard a great one on another site.

Burnham takes the tech goes back in time, becomes the mother of all life and ends up being the alien we see in TNG: The Chase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

So Discovery gets there first, finds the object and everyone just stands around expressing their opinions/feelings about it when suddenly the Breen swoop in and just grab it? Pretty much sums up Discovery. Everyone has to express how they feel about something, instead of just getting on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

This has annoyed me several times in Discovery. Why do the writers insist on this nonsense. I remember they did it first way back when up against the clock when trying to solve some musical riddle way back in an earlier season.

If they hadn't stopped for this silly tete a tete, Michael could have completed her work with the light up bricks in the hanger before investigations started flying and likely would have completed the plan as planned.

Watching this episode last week,. I finally realised I'm too old for this drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I feel like Dara O'Briain on Taskmaster: "Wait. What?"

A semi decent episode… Well, a standard episode that gives space for Burnham to investigate her feelings and dump them on us in half-whispered exposition dumps, regardless of the sire situation surrounding her. And her obligatory Brave Smile ™ as she (and ONLY SHE) does what she needs to do.

But…. there were ACTUAL MOMENTS I didn't hate the show. Brief moments. But moments.

Adira is still a very enjoyable character and, to me, the most human.

"That's the lowest ranking member of the crew. Let's go after them" "Sure, ALWAYS go for the Ensign". I actually laughed at that scene. INTENTIONALLY

Book flirting awkwardly with the Breen. Laughed at that too!

Doug Jones made a cameo

Raynor got something to do. Including a "Why don't you have a cup of coffee and shut the f*ck up" scene with Tilly.

I even laughed at the Voltron "Yes Captain" scene as (I hope) it was also played for a bit of fun.

Of course you had the usual and predictable issues. As mentioned above and by other posters: Dire situation. Critical timing… Time for an "I-don't-think-I'm-worthy-for-love" monologue.

The nauseating camera pans/rotations.

The nauseating and creepily-clingy "Adoption" of Adira.

The fact that they are bringing back/bigging-up underdeveloped characters so that they can either:

1: Die saving Burnham (Not the galaxy… BURNHAM)

2: SHE can die, saving them (And thus completing the Mary-Sue arc). Well, she won't DIE but she'll do a Sisko but… y'know… more emotional

Saru's shuttle getting into trouble, surrounded by Breen. Just about to be destroyed when BAM!!! in swoops the ISS Enterprise, piloted by Detmer and the other one (I'm sorry I can't remember your name but you are not Burnham so….) "Ambassador Saru, this is the USS Burnham. Need a lift?"

I'm trying to figure out what's best for Burnham (F*ck everyone else). We know she (and only she) will save the day but which will mean the biggest sacrifice for her?

a: Does she die/ascend?

Raynor becomes captain. Says to Tilly: You'd be a hell of a First Officer". She reluctantly walks away to her spinoff. Book takes the tree seeds. In Burnham's Readyroom. Looks at the telescope as a throwback to the start and walks away. Adira becomes Tilly. Culper and Stamets proud gay stereotypes they once weren't. Camera pulls back from the bridge. Back… back… back. Burnham voiceover "Space. We used to think it was The Final Frontier. But now we know. It's love. Love transcends time, space, the mind and the soul…. blah blah blah" To slow motion shots of Tilly, Book, Adira, Culper/Stamets. Lock and Moll. The rest of the crew looking at eachother with doe-eyes (Seriously, that ship crew should be broken up). (You GOTTA refer back to the classics and sh*t all over them)

b: Does Raynor die?

Everything else the same.

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not really sure at all what happened in the last 10 minutes, became quite a confusing mess (or I just lost interest).

Nit-pick, thought it was funny that their 32nd century shields had issues with a relatively benign temperature of 3000K when the shield technology to safely enter a sun's corona existed since late TNG.

Advertisement