Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chapter One

Options
  • 22-05-2024 7:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

The best restaurant in Dublin going by the awards is Chapter One.

Am I right in thinking that if I go the set menu main course is only pigeon or if I get the tasting menu the 'main course items' also include pigeon.

https://chapteronerestaurant.com/dinner/

I understand this is not the same pigeon that hangs around McDonald's hoping for a dropped chip but also I was just wondering if I'm reading thing right in that if you want to go to Chapter One you have no choice but to have pigeon show up on your plate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭drury..

Im sure they don't force customers to eat pigeon

Choose something else on the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Alos fish

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I was there recently & had the tasting menu. It was around 7 defined courses, with several snack & savoury courses also.

There was a lot of fish, some vegetarian, a soup course and a couple of meat courses, neither of which were pigeon.

It was an amazing food experience, one I've done before and will happily do again.

However, and it's a BIG however, don't go unless you're open-minded about food, and about trying new things. It is not a meat-and-two-veg standard dinner place, it's fine dining and that means small portions, intense flavours, artistic plates and unusual combinations. If this is not what you want, you'd be better taking the large amount of money you'll spend to a different restaurant which is closer to what you like - we have no shortage of good restaurants catering for all tastes, and they all deserve support.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Tazium

this made me smile this morning thank you. It’s a perfectly balanced reply! I’ve eaten at Chapter One and completely agree with you, I ate very interesting combinations over an evening and had plates matched with wine. It’s a super experience. I don’t have a refined palette or anything like that so I wouldn’t be a great judge, I still loved it.

Really your last sentence sums it up so well, there’s so many good restaurants in this city! Branch out and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's amazing. An opportunity to have food you'll never be able to cook or experience normally. @TrueDub couldn't have said it better, it's not for everyone and it doesn't mean you're not in to food if you don't like it. One misnomer that people come out with is that you leave the restaurant still hungry. This has never been the case for me after a fine dining restaurant, although the portions are small, the plates are huge and the food is rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

+1 for Chapter One - I had lunch there a couple of years ago - a great experience but luckily I had vouchers - the difficulty at the time was actually trying to get a booking so not sure what it’s like now.

If you’re a picky eater then really I wouldn’t be considering C1

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DUBLINIRL

I wouldn't be picky, I just had a look at the menu on the website and there didn't seem to be many options (excluding tasting menu) which surprised me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Absolutely amazing restaurant. World class. That said I didn’t care for the pigeon “main” when I was there the first time. It was venison the next time I was there, so it does change around. I’m sure you can ask for something else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

That's part of it, though - you're sort of expected to be guided by the chef on what to eat, and thus the choices are usually limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

If there is nothing on the menu that you are keen on then don't go OP. The likes of Chapter 1 are not for everyones taste.

But I would second what was said above - their tasting menu is a complete treat and the experience is a special one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It is possible to ring in advance and ask for a substitution, just don't spring it on them in the restaurant.

I doubt it, but don't forget, the menu displayed on the website may not be the one you'll get when you go in. It's part of the allure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I can only go on our experience where there was a peculiar allergy issue. They just substituted. It was all done very discreetly as it had been arranged in advance. Admittedly this was for lunch and a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Ate there about 20 years ago. Still one of the best meals I've ever had.

No but there might be some things that are not to everyone's taste so good to know what you are getting when you are going to spend that much on a meal and want to enjoy the experience.

You should treat yourself more often than that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭CPTM

Ate there a couple times. One time they randomly (without any request from myself) offered to give me a tour. I got to meet all the chefs and they each talked through their stations and what they were in charge of that night. It was really special. They were cleaning up the kitchen after service and were all so proud of their work.

I had won a voucher in a competition to the tune of 750 euro so we went mental with it. That was more that ten years ago now and still the best meal I've had in Dublin. I was poor as fk back then and living off bread and easy singles so I didn't know myself.

You won't know till you go. I'd refrain from making judgements until you've actually tried it, you may love it, in fact there's a good chance you will. There's plenty of other establishments where you don't know what you're eating!

• Advertisement
Advertisement