Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspiciously Low Quote for panels

Options
  • 22-05-2024 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello,

1. I have contacted a few suppliers to fit 10 - 12 solar panels and am getting quotes for the most of them for 8k+ (with grant)
    2. I have one supplier who are offering me them for 6k+ (with grant). This supplier installed my Zappi EV charger so are giving me a discount and had no issues with them at all.

Question: Do the brands of panel differ much by supplier or is there anything else here I need to look out for when dealing with suppliers?

Thanks,

Kieran

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

woah, why are they even asking 6k (inclusive of grant!) for a basic 12 panel install (no optimisers, battery, or hot water diverter?), that'd be my first question. seems high considering panel prices and zero vat.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 10,568 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Did I miss where the OP said no optimisers, battery, or hot water diverter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

You have had them do work for you before and had no issues, that in itself should provide comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dublinman1013

1. Correct - I had no issues with Company A, which installed the carport.

2. Today, I had a Teams video call with Company B, a registered partner with a top electricity company. They gave an impressive sales pitch using my house Google Maps and an energy savings calculator.

3. I showed the sales rep Company A's price quote and found two differences:
      • There is an additional cost for an inverter (I think she said inverter but could have that wrong?) if you want to fit a battery later.
      • The warranty for their panels is 5 years longer
      • Company B use a different brand of panel

4. Another company mentioned their panels store more energy, offering 10 panels x 6.25 kW, compared to other companies offering 10 panels x 4.35 kW. This makes their price about e1,000 more.

Anyone have any comments on the power difference or is it negligible for a common household? Anyone know anything to look out for with the brands?

Post edited by dublinman1013 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Panels don't store any energy. They are conduits. Never heard of 625w panels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Post the detailed quotes up here without company names. Most people on this thread will be familiar with most brands used in Ireland and can advise.

Your posts aren't very detailed so it's hard to give advice at this point.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Cheers - appreciate it

Company A (quote exclusive of grant)

Company B

Company C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Some variances I noticed ok quotes

Company C is 14 x 430w panels = 6.02kw, not 10 X 625w.

Can your roof accommodate 4 extra panels?

Company B is the only one listing a Hot water diverter in their quote

1. Yes it can
    2. I don't need a hot water diverter actually but prob forgot to let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Is company C with or without grant for 9100?

Also do you know how much electricity you consume in a year? You are always better going with more panels at this stage than try to add on later but maybe you are very much below the national average and only require 10 panels.

Do you have interest in a battery now or later, as this will dictate a string inverter or hybrid inverter.

Personally I would go for a 5kW inverter, as opposed to the 3.6, this shouldn't add that much cost to quote A.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭miftha

A note of caution - I believe I had dealings with company B, and again they appear to not detail the exact size inverter that is being supplied (in your case above also not even the brand). I asked numerous times what the exact size inverter you are quoting me for and I never got a satisfactory reply, so while yes the video call is impressive as a sales pitch I dropped them quick when they were not giving me the detail requested for an apples to apples comparison of other quotes.

Advertisement