Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fishy smell in apartment - electrical or not?

Options
  • 21-05-2024 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I noticed this fish-like smell about a month after I moved into the apartment. My front door lead directly into the living-room-kitchen area, and this is where the smell is. I cleaned everything, checked the drain, the washing machine, the vents, the carpet - everything. Can't pinpoint where it's coming from, it's just "in the air". Managed to figure out it is the strongest at the front door.

Google said this is likely an electrical issue. So I notified my rental agency, and then got a call from an electrician. After he asked me some questions he said it's probably not an electrical problem, because it's been going on for over 2 months, and according to him something would've burst into flames by now.

I am at a loss. This smell is so strong it permeates everything in the kitchen-livingroom space. My clothes smell of fish, my bags smell, my shoes smell, curtains smell … it's driving me nuts. There was a bit of mold at the front door - I cleaned that, thinking maybe it was the culprit. Nope, smell is still there.

If this is not electrical, what else could this be? I don't like that the electrician just told me nothing is wrong because it's been going on for over 2 months. He did this over the phone too, no one has actually been at my apartment to assess the situation.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Bakelite heating often smell like fish

Bulb holders are often the culprit when lights are switched on and the heat from a bulb warms it up

sockets are also made from Bakelite

If there’s a loose connection it could also cause serious issues (especially in your distribution board)
    get back to your letting agent and get a competent electrician to actually call out

I had a call to a fuseboard fire once and when I asked the owner hadn’t she noticed a smell in the weeks before she replied that she had but thought the neighbours were smoking weed and actually masked the smell with a scented candle!!!

don’t ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Amateur here, but I'd be looking at bulb holders too. They can stink!

Are you still using old filament bulbs? If so, replace with LED bulbs. They will not heat up the bulb holder at all.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

if there is a larder or fridge freezer near where the odor is have a look at the tray in top of the compressor motor at the back and clean it, these can stink depending on what’s got down there

• Registered Users Posts: 4 HatCat

Thanks for all the responses!

The thing is, nothing is really near where the smell is the strongest. No appliances, no lights/lightbulbs. I checked the lightbulb in the living room just in case, and it seems fine.

The only electrical things that are near the front door (where the smell is the worst) are a light switch, some sockets, a fire/smoke alarm, and a heater (but the heater is switched off). I checked the switches and the sockets - they don't feel hot to the touch, and the smell doesn't seem to be coming from them.

The only thing I can see as a culprit at this point is that smoke alarm. Or something deeper inside the walls/ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Check behind the light switches and plug sockets.

Better still get an electrician to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭FREDNISMO

Had same recently turned out to be switch for shower burning itself out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd be checking behind switches and sockets myself. Be careful if you're opening anything as a live conductor could pop out if it is a loose connection. Can you take a few photos of the area where the smell is? As was said, I'd be getting another electrician in to take a look.

Also, you said you live in an apartment, are there any service ducts along side your apartment, have you checked these? Have you a neighbour down stairs? Worth checking with them and anyone surrounding you in case it's a neighbour that has an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

perhaps it’s a rodent decaying that got electrocuted behind one of your electrical outlets

Wheee is your distribution board located

Is it close to this smell

• Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The coating on wiring can sometimes smell like that. But I doubt it'd be strong enough to make your clothes or your bags smell.

We had an issue with our fuse board a few years ago. There was a distinct smell of fish in the hall. Turned out the wiring needed to be redone.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭JamBur

Is there a potential of ill will from last resident, and items left in hidden areas to smell? Have heard stories of similar before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 HatCat

My apartment is on the ground floor, nothing below me. And there's a staircase on the outside wall at my entrance, so no idea if there'd be any service ducts there. I'll take a pic once I get home.

It doesn't smell like a dead animal, I'd recognize that. It's a sharp, kinda sour fish-like smell.

The fuse board is in the inner hallway, away from where the smell is. Nothing seems to be wrong there.

And I don't think previous tenants would purposefully do something like that. They sure weren't the cleanest (had to clean the place top to bottom when I moved in in Feb), but I've checked all the places where something smelly might be lurking - nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭drury..

Good point if that's the type of smell

Commonly electrocuted inside boards and freestanding cookers mostly ime

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Perks

Could be an electric eel.

Careful as they are known to stun their prey!

Advertisement