Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Percolators

Options
  • 21-05-2024 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭

Been using this type of coffee percolator for years:

Used to have a half decent one from Krups, but hardly anyone seems to make them anymore. There are a couple of brands available on Amazon (like the one pictured) but we have found that they wear out after a year or so and don't keep the brew hot for long. Anyone got any recommendations? We have a decent espresso machine but like to have one of these around for the breakfast brew!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I used to use a form of electric percolator years ago but once I discovered the french press and a burr grinder, I never looked back. Have you tried this as an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yes, the French press makes decent coffee but it doesn't stay warm. Again, the goal here is to make a largish batch (8 cups) all at once, to be consumed over say 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There are large french-presses. Make a large batch and zap for 20 seconds in a microwave before adding milk or cream, if you take those. This would result in a better taste than a percolator, which excells at taking bad coffee and making it worse over time.

Well that is not my experience with a well functioning percolator and my own usage patterns. I have found it far preferable to the French Press. But thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Murph_D, I went looking for one of these a while back, after a work colleague showed me theirs, but had no joy. I assumed that it was probably based on a tightening of health and safety regulations in Europe (portable, electric, pressurized, steam!). There are some listed on Amazon.co.uk (search for electric moka pot), but largely non-branded and high priced and not very well reviewed. More options on Amazon.com but need to check for support of 220-240v.

• Advertisement

Thanks Krusty. Yeah, more or less resigned to never finding this having exhausted the obvious retail and online sources. A pity.

Post edited by Murph_D on

Advertisement